Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

Fuse block removal

I am going to add a couple 12v power supplies, and would like to add a new circuit to the fuse panel for a clean factory look. In my coach, I have 2 panels on the wall of the compartment below the driver's seat. Each of these panels have 4 fuse blocks capable of holding up to 16 separate circuits. Several fuse locations are empty, requiring only a fuse terminal and fuse to create a new circuit. My question is how do the fuse blocks come off the panel?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

if there this type they have 4 tabs that hold them in
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/edit-...ml#post2092957

if there a def type and you send me a pic i think i may have a hand full setting around i was about to trash
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Terry thanks for your work gathering this information will add to QT's # 3 for future reference for people.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #4

Terry

I will try to get to the box later today and send a pic. It is on a Freightliner chassis and the block does look like the one in your picture. Are the tabs push tabs or pull tabs? Tried the other day pushing the tab but couldn't seem to get it to budge. There are several open spots, many with a feed wire already there. I'm assuming I can just check for voltage key on and key off to determine if it's a switched power supply. Thanks for all the great advice and the videos. I never imagined the same connector was used for so many different types of plugs!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
Terry

I will try to get to the box later today and send a pic. It is on a Freightliner chassis and the block does look like the one in your picture. Are the tabs push tabs or pull tabs? Tried the other day pushing the tab but couldn't seem to get it to budge. There are several open spots, many with a feed wire already there. I'm assuming I can just check for voltage key on and key off to determine if it's a switched power supply. Thanks for all the great advice and the videos. I never imagined the same connector was used for so many different types of plugs!
i made a video really fast to show .... i hope i am holding the right part you are looking at

Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Terry, thanks for all the great help! That is the block I have, with the micro fuse. I watched your other videos again today, but am still unsure what fuse tap I should get. Am I thinking correctly that I can cut out an old fuse box from a salvaged Chrysler product? Mine are the mini fuses. I am in Oklahoma City, and have access to several salvage yards, as well as several Mopar dealers and a Freightliner dealer. The only concern buying new terminals is getting the right ones for the fuse block. Possibly the Freightliner dealer would know the correct one using the vin#. Looking at your links on your original page, I could tell its a Delphi component but there were 3 different links to fuse taps, and not sure which I needed. The only difference between two was the wire size, but I didn't know if those taps would fit my block. I know this seems long winded and rambling, but not sure what to ask to get the right answer! Thanks again for all your help.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #7

if it is the same one in my hand

if you have open spots in your fuse block now this is all you need

12160636 Delphi Connection Systems | Mouser this is for?? 16 to 18g wire so i would order a hand full here

12160637 Delphi Connection Systems | Mouser this is for more like 22 g dont think this is what you want

i dont know what size Cable Diameter you want to use

but this is the pins you are looking for they have bigger Cable Diameter size but this is the 2 i used the most

here is some really good Automotive TXL Wire
EFI Connection, LLC - Automotive TXL Wire

if you cant find a pin that gives you power when key on like you want you can find one that runs some thing pull its pin out and add a jumper to the pin that was feeding it and install a higher amp fuse for the load then like in my videos cut a line of like 3 or more pins like you want reinstall the pin you moved and add what you wanted . ..... hope you got that .. sorry falling asleep LOL
if there is any thing else you need just ask
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

Thanks, Terry! I did get into the block, and discovered the panel is easily removed from the wall. Wrestling with the block, the panel slid off the base, making access to the back of the block easy.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407510180.094807.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	70229
Old 08-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
Thanks, Terry! I did get into the block, and discovered the panel is easily removed from the wall. Wrestling with the block, the panel slid off the base, making access to the back of the block easy.
Attachment 70229

yep you are on track like you want

the taps to pull each block out are shown in your pic

just show me what you want and i well show you where to find it

my last post had the pins you needed for the min fuse

if you need pins for relays or large pin for the larger fuses late me know

you seen the tool i made out of a large hose clamp i would make one as it well help you for uninstalling the pins you are about to work with

if you are installing only you dont need it

i soon hope to add more videos to my wiring post as there is alot more to show and part numbers to add

if you dont mind i would like you to add pics to show befor and after so every one can see it is not hard to work on this stuff

makes me look like a pro when i am not LOL
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #10

Thanks again. I will try to remember to take pics during the install and post them in the next week or so. BTW, I was able to find the pins in a 10 pack for .19 each at delcity.com, the same place I purchased my 12V outlets. They have a few RV specific things, but mainly sell a variety of wiring products.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #11

so how is it coming along ..

i did a update in my edit/fix post on where to find the even lager pins for the large type fuses

this could help you in adding what you need as well
Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #12

I received my pins and am ready to put it all in. Unforeseen events prevented me from doing anything last week, and temps may keep me from doing it this week. I have to decide where I want to drill a 1" hole in my dash, then get the courage to do so. I was a little surprised when I got my 12V receptacles, and they had mini spade connectors. I just need to pick up a couple of those, then determine wire size and fuse size for receptacles. Other than that, good to go! 8-) I will try to remember to take pics along the way and post them back here.

Tags
fuse, removal