Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
FWS floor pads a Pain on my 2015 DSDP

Been using the floor pads for my FWS on my Dutch Star
They are a pain always getting caught up, busting edges off etc.
Does anyone know of or have a better solution.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #2

What are floor pads and what are you doing with them?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar installed aluminum ramps over the wooden ramp at each roller. Greatly reduced the cracking and jamming. Others have used aluminum pads with no slip backing glued on. You don’t use a 90 degree lip on them. You simply lay them flat on the floor at each roller location and they stay in place.
pshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #4

Still no quite clear in my head, is it possible to post a photo?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #5

They are listed by Newmar as "shipping pads". All coaches are shipped with these under the rollers when the slide is in to avoid marking the floor. Some dealers/owners throw them away but I still use mine and have never had a problem in 3 years. But I don't have a full wall slide, so I don't know if that is an issue. The one thing I did do was lift the edge of the carpet and mark the edge of each of the ramps so the pad was always placed dead center.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

Ljowdy. I’m with you I can’t figure out how to post pictures I hope someone can give a quick way to post pictures.
To answer your question I have never had a problem, check to see that your groove is deep enough so that the bottom of the lip doesn’t touch the bottom of the groove. Move the slide in a little from fully extending and you can see the rollers. I used a magic marker to make sure that they are centered I marked the edge under the carpet. If you don’t have carpet maybe a light pencil mark might not show
Old 04-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

Newmar replaced mine with the same style but a different surface and these have worked much better.

The new ones do not have felt nor the lip.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Newmar replaced mine with the same style but a different surface and these have worked much better.

The new ones do not have felt nor the lip.
Within the first year 3 of the nine pads on my 2015 4018 had cracked lips on them so Newmar gave me nine of the ones without lips, just a tapered end where the roller first contacts it. Only problem with these is the roller starts pushing the pad toward the center of the coach as soon as the roller contacts the pad then one of us has to stand on it till the roller is solidly on it. Takes two of us to retract the FWS. And this is with a small piece of the rubber slip-nots under the opposite end of the pad.

As stated above, the pads are a real pain in the rear-end but if they keep from getting marks on the shinny tile floors I guess then they are just a necessary evil. Adds about an extra 10-15 minutes breaking camp by the time the wife Swiffers the floor, I place the pads at the correct marks, then dustbuster the pads to get any thing that has accumulated on them.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club

I think these are the pads folks are talking about. When I removed the carpet from my living room and installed hardwood I noticed that the clearance of the slide over the new floor was very close. I did not want to scratch the new flooring so I ordered a set of pads from Newmar ( I have some other brand of coach). They work just fine, I slip them under the slide before I retract it and leave them there until I extend it. Some times they will slip, I just stand on it until the slide is completely retracted, then next time I extend it I clean the pad with soapy water. There is a sticky as well as a slippery side (slippery is bumpy).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	199947
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have both types (lip and non-lip) of pads. I prefer the lip pads because the non-lip ones slide around too easily.
I made 2 lip pads out of .063 aluminum sheet with the felt backing on them. I use these two pads for the front and rear rollers and continue to use the plastic ones on the rest of the rollers.
The pads may be a small annoyance but after 3 years of continuous usage, there are no scuffs or scratches on our tile from the rollers.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #11

floor protectors on 2013 DS

Have found what I hope is a better way to deploy the floor protectors. I have the ones that have the beveled edge bought about 18 months ago. Instead of laying them on floor in front of each roller and standing on them or taping to the floor try this.
Bring slide in until roller is Almost at top of ramp, maybe half inch ??? still experimenting on best distance from top of ramp. We have small pieces of thread attached to carpet to mark location of each roller. Shove floor protector under roller as best you can.
I have found that I can put the protectors in by feel and not have to stand on my head to do it.
So far I do not see any damage to the protectors and this seem to work the best yet
Several times now all eight have caught with no problem.

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwallace View Post
Have found what I hope is a better way to deploy the floor protectors. I have the ones that have the beveled edge bought about 18 months ago. Instead of laying them on floor in front of each roller and standing on them or taping to the floor try this.
Bring slide in until roller is Almost at top of ramp, maybe half inch ??? still experimenting on best distance from top of ramp. We have small pieces of thread attached to carpet to mark location of each roller. Shove floor protector under roller as best you can.
I have found that I can put the protectors in by feel and not have to stand on my head to do it.
So far I do not see any damage to the protectors and this seem to work the best yet
Several times now all eight have caught with no problem.
The caution here is I was always taught slide all the way in/all the way out otherwise it could mess up the programming for the stop points.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #13

Have always brought slide in part way to use protectors maybe a hundred times. Never a problem with programming.

BOB

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

I switched to the black rubber padding Lowes sells as tool box drawer liner. Cheap & works perfectly.

Tags
floor