RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

FWS Roller/Floor Protection Matts

I know some use these and some don't. Our dealer provided 9 of them but told us we would probably never need them. WRONG....the slide rollers on the FWS are starting to leave a mark after 2 years.

The last two travel days we have used them. Had a buddy in the campground (same make/model/year) show me how he places them. We both have trouble with them sliding all over, me more than him.

I have where they go marked perfectly. Is there a trick to placing them? What is the procedure everyone uses? Why am I having 3 - 5 of them sliding in?

Thanks in advance.

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

I run the 2 front slides in until they tilt back and start up the ramps. Since I still can, I get down on the floor, look under the slide, now tilted up/back and place the tapered end of the mat against the rollers. I don't use them on the smaller bedroom slides. I really need to mark the floor somehow because I'm not sure I want to do that for the next 10 years.

RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post
I run the 2 front slides in until they tilt back and start up the ramps. Since I still can, I get down on the floor, look under the slide, now tilted up/back and place the tapered end of the mat against the rollers. I don't use them on the smaller bedroom slides. I really need to mark the floor somehow because I'm not sure I want to do that for the next 10 years.

I use the same procedure but Im about to change it. Since there is carpet there I plan to run a single black thread say 3/8 long through the binding seam at a point which will line up with the left edge of each mat when it is properly centered. Then I should be able just walk along putting them all out without moving the slide to find the right starting point. And a single thread wont be obvious unless you are looking for it.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #4

We have used them since the day we took ownership.

We marked the underside of the carpet with a permanent marker.
When we bring the full wall slide in, DW moves down the line, stepping on any protectors that are sliding.

An imperfect system to be sure, but we don't have any scratches on the tile after 2+ years.- Paul
Old 10-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post

When we bring the full wall slide in, DW moves down the line, stepping on any protectors that are sliding.

An imperfect system to be sure, but we don't have any scratches on the tile after 2+ years.- Paul
We use the same procedure on our 2015 DS. 3 of the 9 pads broke the curved lip off couple years ago and the ones Newmar replaced with only have a tapered end instead of the lip. Those 3 sometimes move and other times don't. Haven't figured out the perfect positioning before running in the FWS, and when one starts moving the wife runs up and stands on it for a few seconds then runs to the next one moving.
Not good that it takes 2 people to bring in the FWS since any time the coach is in a shop the techs don't do this.
Been doing this procedure for 4 years and no marks on the floor, yet. Someone said it's not the rolling that marks but the roller setting in one spot and rubbing while the coach is in motion.
Figured after all these years with this system and problems Newmar would have taken some kind of action to correct it, but guess like everything else Newmar does nothing as long as they can bandaid keep the customers coming.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. When I did a search, prior to posting, it seems like all the discussion was about matts that had some sort of lip on them. Now I understand that is what Newmar used to have.

After getting some advise from the other couple in this campground (same model/year) I went along and marked where they go under the carpet flap with a black marker. I can position them pretty easily by just bending over and not getting on knees.

I was hoping there was some secret placement, like bringing the slide in to a point where it raised up and you could slide them under or something.

I assume everyone is putting the slick side down and the rougher side up?
Old 10-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes I'm putting the slick side down and pebbled side up. What are other folks using as a method for cleaning the slick side that will be up against the tile face? The plastic chosen seems prone to attract anything they shouldn't.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post

Same here...except we got tired of doing the dance to keep them from sliding so we applied thin carpet tape to the bottom of each pad and the rubber surface goes a long way to stop the sliding. They dont slide much anymore at all...

richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:32 AM   #9
dp7

I found that bringing the slide rollers to the top of the ramp & them sliding the mat against the roller worked the best. Sometimes none of the mats slide when using this approach. All other methods would usually push at least 4 of the mats.

Now, if I could only get the grit off the bottom of the mats!!
Old 10-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #10

Talk about a sloppy pieced together system. You'd think Newmar would have at least one engineer who could come with a true solution to the issue. I've not heard of any other manufacturer having a similar problem.

The things we tolerate from RV manufacturers is amazing.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #11

Tiffin is not immune to this problem. I was using dish towels, today I bought 3 thin doormats from the box store $8 per. Size 24 W 36 L cut 12" strips 3' long. The placement must be after slide rises to avoid pushing the protective floor mat. I currently have floor marks to indicate mat placement.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:04 PM   #12

FWS rooler pads

I had the same problem with the cheap ABS mats Newmar sold for big bucks.

I solved the problem by making my own from 20 ga. galvanized steel- they have a 3/8" lip & 3 hemmed edges to eliminate sharp edges.

'They work great- I have enclosed picture

Happy Trails
Attached Images

Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #13

When the bend breaks I place the pad between 2 pieces of wood in vice and let 1/2" of pad stick out and use a heat gun to warm up the end and simply bend to 90 degrees. I do this to replacement pads as they don't come with a bend anymore.
Rodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodar View Post
When the bend breaks I place the pad between 2 pieces of wood in vice and let 1/2" of pad stick out and use a heat gun to warm up the end and simply bend to 90 degrees. I do this to replacement pads as they don't come with a bend anymore.
This may be my next little project. It is getting old trying to position them just right so 4 or 5 don't start sliding all at once.

I tried carpet tape and it didn't seem to help.

I carry a vice so I think I'll try putting a small bend on the end.

Are you getting long time use out of yours after making this modification or does the bent part still break off after a number of uses?

Tags
floor