Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #1

Gaaaawd, just backed into a tree!

Our house sits in the middle of our property and is surrounded by trees; I was turning the coach around to park it after our trip to Kentucky and backed right into a tree...........@&*^%$$##@#$%%$ jeezzzz, smashed the ladder and the fiberglass bumper!
I went online to the Newmar sight and it says contact your dealer.
I can replace the ladder for 120 bucks, but I have no idea what the bumper is going to cost, any ideas??
My deductable is $500.00 bucks, so if it is even close to that I’ll pay for it myself……..mainly because, well, I’m stupid!! I could not see the gray tree very well in the black and white backup camera.
Fleetchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
When I cracked the fiberglass "bumper" on my Winnebago ...the bumper is about the bottom 4 ft of the rear end ...I had it repaired and repainted at a local body shop. That was apx 2004 and the cost was apx $750. Of course, it all depends on how badly you smashed the bumper. Body shops with experience in repairing fiberglass can do good work, and you shouldn't have to replace the entire bumper unless you really did a job on it!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Fleetchief,
Are you close to Nappanee, Indiana?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Even if it cost you $1500.00 to fix it, you will be better off paying it out of pocket. If you file a claim, the insurance will go up for several years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I owned a body shop in a past life and can recommend almost any body shop can do your needed repair and paint work. Personally, I would stay away from the dealer because he will most likely sub it out to me, add a mark up and tell you what a great job he did.

BTW...consider a color back up camera.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
By insurance company standards, that is a moving traffic accident. Ken is correct about your insurance possibly going up. In any case it will be a black mark, even if you call them and just ask questions and say you are going to pay for it yourself, they will mark it down on their "little" form. Go ahead, ask me how I know!!!

p.s., I 'try' to never back up without a ground spotter, even though I have the camera. It just isn't worth it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 AM   #7

I might call a few body shops, I can pull the fiberglass bumper off and take it to a couple body shops for some quotes........boy I needed this like another hole in my body!
I believe your right about even calling my insurance company, good advice, thanks, this was the first trip from Twin Lake Mi to Fort Mitchell KY in this coach and everything ran great, no complaints, except I did scare the crap out of myself, somewhere in Indiana going thru a rain storm, I looked in the backup camera and my wife’s scooter was gone!, after looking at the screen for a few more seconds I realized it was just a drop of water on the camera lens.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
That is a bummer. :( Don't beat yourself up too much - these things happen to the best of us.
LindyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Great idea by a designer a bumper that breaks when you back into a tree . there was a time when they actually worked rather than just looking good
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you are trying to say is that while parked, picking up grocerys, some truck must have run into the back of your Motorhome and caused a considerable amount of damage AND to make matters worse, they never left a note ! The Swine !!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #11

Well, I removed the bumper (another word for fiberglass facade) and took it to a local body shop, the quote was $550.00.
The left side is completely smashed, and the bottom ½ is ripped in half, so I was actually relieved, I also contacted the dealer and had him send the color formula for the original 2000 Newmar Dutch Star, so the body shop can verify the color that the computer recommends, again my deductable is $500.00 bucks so although this whole thing could have been avoided by simply having a “spotter” when I maneuver in close courters, I feel relieved that the cost from the body shop was not more.
Rob
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Great idea by a designer a bumper that breaks when you back into a tree
...yeah, I think we should re-name these so-called "bumpers" something like "bender," "breaker", or perhaps even "break-away panel".
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #13

Yea, roger that!, i like break away panel.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
What you are trying to say is that while parked, picking up grocerys, some truck must have run into the back of your Motorhome and caused a considerable amount of damage AND to make matters worse, they never left a note ! The Swine !!!!

Shhhh,
That is a felony!