Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
"Gap" around the steering column

One of the items that I have on my list for Newmar to take a look at this fall is a gap around our steering column. We were getting a lot of flying insects in our coach - even when closed up for large periods of time. We started to look at possible air gaps. We found a pretty good one around the steering column.

Has anyone else has this? I seem to recall a thread that someone mentioned this..... Not sure of their resolution?

In the attached pics, you can I am shining a light up from underneath. There seems to be some boots in that area, but they don't seem to be covering the gap.

I have another problem where the steering wheel and/or column "moans" sometimes when turned. The dealer looked at it and maybe they broke the boot? They said they greased the column and the issue went away for a while .... I had Freightliner in Gaffney look at it and they said it was fine - but it still makes this noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	262429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	262430  

superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

If you were driving in cold weather, that would get chilly pretty fast. Definitely cant be right.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
One of the items that I have on my list for Newmar to take a look at this fall is a gap around our steering column. We were getting a lot of flying insects in our coach - even when closed up for large periods of time. We started to look at possible air gaps. We found a pretty good one around the steering column.

Has anyone else has this? I seem to recall a thread that someone mentioned this..... Not sure of their resolution?

In the attached pics, you can I am shining a light up from underneath. There seems to be some boots in that area, but they don't seem to be covering the gap.

I have another problem where the steering wheel and/or column "moans" sometimes when turned. The dealer looked at it and maybe they broke the boot? They said they greased the column and the issue went away for a while .... I had Freightliner in Gaffney look at it and they said it was fine - but it still makes this noise.

Your steering column boot is broken and needs to be replaced. There shouldn’t be a hole in the boot. I am really surprised Freightliner said it was ok.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Your steering column boot is broken and needs to be replaced. There shouldn’t be a hole in the boot. I am really surprised Freightliner said it was ok.
Yes, that is what it looked liked to me as well. The upper boot looks like it is now in two pieces and should be one.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #5

Watch out for mice!! This time of year they'll look for a nice warm place for the winter.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Watch out for mice!! This time of year they'll look for a nice warm place for the winter.
And here in Florida - snakes as well for the same reason.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The black plastic cover on the floor has been loose so I lifted it and saw there is nothing sealing it from underneath. It is open like the op's. I cut a piece of 1" hard foam insulation and fit it around the shaft. I put some heavy white grease on the shaft and insulation so it won't squeak when turning the wheel. Silicone everything but the steering wheel shaft. Underneath is 2 different size boots. One connected to the floor and one connected to the shaft. They can't be connected because the shaft turns. This could be my high speed whistle.

To the op, the top boot is bolted to the floor and the other looks like it's clamped to the shaft so it can't be a broken one piece boot. It looks like the lower boot could slide up and go inside the top boot a couple ridges. Looks like they have grease on the top few ridges of the lower boot to spin.

Tags
steering