Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 07:08 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Been using the 760 for a couple years. I have not had any problems.
1. Update regularly
2. Double check my routes ahead of time.
3. Proceed with caution when GPS does not have data for height\weight restrictions indicated by icon in upper right.
4. Do not depend on GPS for sole means of navigation.
- Every GPS has its problems. Some are much worse than others.
- GM autos navigation has the absolute worse algorithims for route calculation.

Only problem I have ever had was a user error and missed an exit GPS told me to take, and new route took me 40 miles longer.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
phone app works for me

My husband drives and I'm the navigator, so the driver facing navigation on the dash doesn't really work for us. And, since there are so many good navigation apps for smartphones, a built in system doesn't seem necessary anyway. I've been very happy with CoPilot. I use it on an Android phone but I believe they have an Iphone version, too. I bought the truck version. They seem to also now have an RV version. You tell it the size, weight, etc of the vehicle. We have two smartphones and so in unfamiliar places, I often have Google Maps navigation running on one phone and CoPilot running on the other.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #17
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
I also have the 760 with no complaints other than some mentioned. The only thing I would add is to turn on avoid non paved roads. Before turning this avoidance on it led me to a very not so RV friendly road and I couldn't check up before hand because I had no cell phone reception.
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #18

I had a 760 and did not think it was worth the extra cost of being an RV product. The adding custom routes did not work as it would still route you where it wanted you to go. When in RV mode I tested it to see which routes it would take. Some were worse for an RV than using the car mode. Every route still needed to be reviewed step by step.

Someone else on here recommended the Garmin 2797 as another option to the 760. I like it. It is the 7" screen and does everything the 760 does except the adding of RV size. I had absolutely no trust in the 760 to give me a RV friendly route anyway.

As mentioned by most others, never trust a GPS.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
We have used the 760 for the last 7,000 miles with only minor routing issues...which is better than any other Garmin we have owned. We do review routes before we move and we run a Garmin nuvi 2577 in parallel on the road.

Interestingly, the 760 seems more accurate on arrival times. So far, we've only had one time when we thought the 760 was taking us out of our way compared to the nuvi 2577, but it only made about a 5 mile difference (going from Hayward WI to Bimidji MN).

We ignored 760 routing one time in the skyline drive area of Virginia, and had no problem but realized our RV+Toad length was 1 foot over the US 340 length limit.

So we will keep using the 760 and am happy to do so. Only thing would be if someone would build an avoidance of Interstates vice highways. That would make it much easier to get out into more scenic countryside without have to put in multiple waypoints.
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps