RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #29

It's hard to see. In the same box the bird relay and battery disconnect is in you will see two red battery cables. Unhook them and you can see the relay a little better. You will have to remove the cover of the air filter to replace it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #30

I should also tell you the best price I found was Unity school bus parts for $25.64 plus $9.95 shipping. You can find them online or their No. is 1-800-937-3906

Old 12-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #31

I will check it out. Thanks for the reply back.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #32

I checked out the part you referred to. Its the part I replaced but at a better price. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
FWIW, pull the fuse to your dash radio and see what happens. We had the same discharging problem as you did. Diagnostics by Newmar showed BIRD was fine. However, the dash radio--for whatever reason--was pulling enough of a phantom load to draw down the chassis battery in very short order. Have heard from several others with the same chassis battery discharging problem that was also due to the dash radio.

We could install a switch on the radio but we never use it since we have the big Sony system, so we just keep the fuse unplugged. Have not had a chassis battery problem since.
Which fuse is the radio fuse and where? Are we talking a fuse in the big black box where the BIRD is or the fuse box under the dash? Something is running down my chassis battery when on shore power. The radio is off but the display still shows time and lights up the coach like a night light on steroids. I keep a trickle charger on my battery but sometimes the clip pops off or the cord gets kicked. First I know there is a problem the clock face is dark.

I got the instructions on how to check the BIRD but electrical is not my forte and the directions had NO pictures or diagrams. I look in that black box and see the BIRD but a whole lot of other stuff with thick wires that look like they can't wait for me to stick a finger or something in there and dance with the devil!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvC View Post
When I took delivery of our Canyon Star my chassis battery would not charge while plugged in. My dealer, with the guidance of Newmar customer service, determined that there was a blown 7.5 amp fuse located in the area of the Bird system. Hope this helps. You may call Newmar directly if you need more help.
This is my previous post referring to a blown fuse located below the BIRD controller. There is more than one fuse there and they are just regular automotive fuses. Check them all out. Then you may want to check your fuses under the left side of the dash.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
If you review many of the Threads this is a Big problem on Newmar Gas coaches. My problem began when the coach was about 6 months old. Since that time, Newmar replaced the battery, I replaced the B.I.R.D, solenoid and fuses. None of the above items fixed the problem.

What I found would happen is that the chassis battery would become the coach battery and ALL 12 volt items would draw on this battery. (battery would not charge from the inverter) This happen when Rving for long trips and sitting in a camp ground for many days. When not connected to shore power my coach battery always starts the coach.

Two things I have done with success. When connected to shore power, I charge only at a 10% rate.
I added a "Battery Brain" to the chassis battery. This stops the chassis battery from being drained down.

I added a battery saver on my coach, It disconnects the battery automatically when there is a drain and the battery would go below the starting voltage. I have not had any starting issues since using this product.

similar to this......
Battery Brain Type I Bronze - $68.79
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
CC8375 WHERE have you been been trying to resolve the BAY STAR ,CANYON STAR battery problem for months and first post I see you post has an answer, good to see your back posting in forum.
Will add your post under your MOD's in CANYON STAR Section of QT's # 3.

Does anyone know what set of batteries their LP Detector feeds off of, its a good battery drainer.
Most older coach's had a LP Detector cut off switch in their display area, do you have one?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:18 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem, alternator would not charge house batteries and generator or solar power would not charge chassis battery. I also noticed no click when trying the emergency start switch. I called Newmar and they said they had a better solenoid now and for about $50 and a few days later I replaced the 100 amp relay. I noticed it was discolored near the base and guess that the morning I left Death Valley NP the house battery bank was about 70% SOC and the alternator load to add 240 amps to my 800 AH AGM battery bank was too much for the flimsy 100 amp relay. I also replaced the BIRD and kept the original as a spare.

I plan to run the generator if the house batts need a few hundred amps instead of using the alternator while driving.

My phantom loads (Jenson radio, engine computers, and propane sensor) on the chassis battery bank (2 Lifeline CT-4s) run .4 to .5 amp depending on the batteries voltage.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
"007 - Happy New Year - I have posted several times on this issue with findings concerning this issue.

Here is what I do know after talking with Intellitec, Newmar and researching manuals.
* Chassis and Coach batteries charge when driving
* When plugged into shore power, the Coach batteries charge first
* then the Chassis battery will be switched to charging.
* Issue - when the chassis battery is completely charged, the chassis battery will stop charging however; the chassis battery then becomes the source of draw for the Coach and becomes drained. Any item using 12 volts draws from this battery. ( even though you are connected to shore power and the coach batteries are OK. (Fully charged) For example. I was plugged in to shore power and the outside Awning would not retract since it's source of power was the Drained Chassis battery. I have monitored all of the above steps and or situations.

The battery Brain stops the drain. Also as stated in previous Thread - I found that charging at a 10% rate and set to 15 amp (when on shore power - even 50 amps)
has controlled this issue from arising.

007 - my latest project(s) - Add drawers to the coach basement. I have one done, and working now on a larger drawer for chairs etc for the middle belly of the coach.

Canyon Star - Adding drawer in Lower cabinets
Old 01-08-2017, 06:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
"007 - Happy New Year - I have posted several times on this issue with findings concerning this issue.

Here is what I do know after talking with Intellitec, Newmar and researching manuals.
* Chassis and Coach batteries charge when driving
* When plugged into shore power, the Coach batteries charge first
* then the Chassis battery will be switched to charging.
* Issue - when the chassis battery is completely charged, the chassis battery will stop charging however; the chassis battery then becomes the source of draw for the Coach and becomes drained. Any item using 12 volts draws from this battery. ( even though you are connected to shore power and the coach batteries are OK. (Fully charged) For example. I was plugged in to shore power and the outside Awning would not retract since it's source of power was the Drained Chassis battery. I have monitored all of the above steps and or situations.

The battery Brain stops the drain. Also as stated in previous Thread - I found that charging at a 10% rate and set to 15 amp (when on shore power - even 50 amps)
has controlled this issue from arising.

007 - my latest project(s) - Add drawers to the coach basement. I have one done, and working now on a larger drawer for chairs etc for the middle belly of the coach.

Canyon Star - Adding drawer in Lower cabinets
* # 1, This is true and easily confirmed.

* # 2, Correct. Once they reach 13.2 volts, the chassis batteries are combined if you have a bi-directional device.

* # 3, the chassis battery is combined to the charging circuit, not "switched to". All batteries charge together.

* # 4, not true. The chassis battery will disconnect when charged BUT will reconnect if it's voltage drops.
The chassis battery only supplies power to chassis loads if the isolation relay is open.
If your awning is connected to the chassis battery it will not work if the chassis battery goes dead.

If your chassis battery is going dead while on shore power, and your system is designed to charge it, ( BIRD ) you have a problem. Most times it is the combining solenoid, called the isolation solenoid, in your battery control center. It is controlled by the intellitec device.

While it is a good device for storage without shore power, the Brain device you installed is a workaround of a failed component of the system, while on shore power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Twinboat your comments are correct except for #3 and # 4
On my unit - The coach batteries Stop charging when the Charging begins to charge my Chassis battery. ( this has been proven, as I put the coach in the garage, run the batteries down to create the charging operation)

If you note previously - ALL of the items you mentioned have been replaced.

Note my Problem - the Chassis Battery stays connected after the charging is completed.
Note - my Coach batteries "Are not Connected " after the charging is completed.

Yes - the Brain Prog on the Chassis battery is a work around, but successful. I have not been left Stranded, or a Dead Chassis battery, starting issue etc. since installing it.

When the chassis battery is drained down to 7 volts or less, the coach his Hard to jump start since the battery is such a depleted state.

Newmar and the RV shop have Never been able to correct the problem.

The issue has been a major thread in recent years on Newmar gas coaches.

Another work around was to disconnect the chassis battery lead off of the intellitec.
This was Newmars suggestion when I had a major dead battery issue thousand miles from home.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Twinboat your comments are correct except for #3 and # 4
On my unit - The coach batteries Stop charging when the Charging begins to charge my Chassis battery. ( this has been proven, as I put the coach in the garage, run the batteries down to create the charging operation)

If you note previously - ALL of the items you mentioned have been replaced.

Note my Problem - the Chassis Battery stays connected after the charging is completed.
Note - my Coach batteries "Are not Connected " after the charging is completed..
What ever you have going on, is not the way isolation relay system work.

It doesn't matter who built the coach, the systems all are very similar.

1, Converter or inverter/charger is connected to coach batteries.

2, Alternator is connected to chassis batteries.

3, Voltage sensing relay ( IRD, BIRD ),connected to both, senses charging from one bank or the other. When it senses 13.2, from either charging source, it sends signal to isolation relay ( solenoid )

4, Isolation relay, which is no more then a switched jumper, between both battery banks closes.

On some systems, if the voltage sensing relay senses charging from the coach batteries AND gets an " ignition on " signal, it does not close the isolation solenoid. This is to prevent the two charging sources from conflicting.

Someone has crossed up some cables somewhere. To me, it seems like you house charging source output is connected to and charging the chassis battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #42

I went through this same issue in November. In my case, the chassis battery was depleted by parasitic loads, while the coach was plugged in to 110 volt. The only way to put a charge in the chassis battery was to run the engine. As a work around, since mine stays pugged in while in storage and the batteries are side by side, I connected the chassis battery to the coach batteries with 8 gauge jumpers. The downside of this work around was if you deplete your coach batteries, you have also depleted the chassis battery.

I spoke to Newmar about this temporary work around, and they did not see any issues with it, except what I noted above. I also disconnected the jumper before starting and driving the coach. I turns out, I had a bad relay ( of sure which one). Now everything is being charged properly and the jumpers are in the drawer.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, gas