Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
tvp

Gas Coach on Ford F53 chassis

Ok is it just me or ? .....has anyone purchased a new or one or two year old gas RV and did not have to make major investment into handling issues, shocks , sway bars , true Center steering systems , etc. There seams to be a common ground that the box that the RV manufacture put on the chassis is always over weight or too long etc for the spec of the chassis , making it drive like a piece of crap, and you as the new owner have to add all the bolt on , stuff and upgrades to just make the thing drivable ???. Has anyone been happy with the drive as built from manufacturers,

Thanks TVP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wasn't happy with the way it came off the lot, but one minor adjustment (The CHF) and its acceptable.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

I did sway bar, steering stabilizer, CHF in front and will most likely do Koni's at some point. Huge difference.

I don't see them ever making them better unless you can order it as an "option" from the factory (and pay up front for it of course).
Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

I have 2016 Canyon Star. I am very happy with the way it handles. The only things I have done is to make sure tire pressures are correct based on the corner weights. This alone makes a noticeable difference in both ride and handling. I have driven other class A units as well as some commercial "straight trucks" as a comparison. I think one key is to make sure you get enough capacity in the chassis, to start with. I believe Newmar does a good job of this as I see this year every Canyon Star is on the 26K F53 chassis. Some other manufacturers seem to not put enough chassis under the unit (no spare capacity). Some are at, or maybe even over, axle weight capacity when they leave the factory. Then that is made even worse when rigged for travel by the owner. I believe the overloaded or operating very near max capacity of the chassis leads to a many of the reported handling issues.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Haven't changed any of those things.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #6

Currently Ford is the only player in the gas, class A chassis business. We are very fortunate that they put out a quality unit. The aftermarket has seen a market for the bolt-ons and is making a big push. A second chassis builder would conceivably push both entities to constantly improve their offerings. Competition has this natural effect. But again, Ford makes a very good unit, and offers it in several weight ratings. It then becomes incumbent upon the end user to make sure their rig is equipped with an appropriate chassis for their use. Use the bolt-ons if you feel the need.

If you monitor the diesel pusher threads, Freightliner and Spartan are always playing the "one up" thing. The net effect of this is continual improvement in BOTH offerings.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

I drove my Baystar about 3000 miles, mountains, HIGH winds, plenty of trucks etc. I could have lived with it "as is" but my thought process was, we have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in this, plan to use a lot, another $ to make it more relaxing, and safe . . . So I spent about $700 on a Safe-T-Plus installed, and alignment at a good frame and axle shop. Also did the CHF for essentially free. It has gone from pretty much needing two hands, 99% of the time, to one hand 99% of the time. Just more relaxing and I feel a lot safer if we were to blow a steer tire or drop off the edge of the pavement like in a construction zone. IF I didn't want to spend any money, I'd definitely do the CHF since it is a significant improvement for only a bit of time and effort.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:28 AM   #8

In a perfect world it would be nice if the coach manufacturers put handling at or near the top of the priority list of things, but I'm sure they do satisfaction surveys all the time and handling probably doesn't trend too often so they put the allocation of money where it can be noticed most.

I've experienced the white knuckle drive and had no idea it could be improved until the parts manager at the dealer told me he had solutions to problems I didn't know I had until the first drive.

I ran back to the dealer and invested the money to do some mods and never looked back! Money well spent. If Newmar or othercoach builders provided all the mods it would add significantly to the price tag in an already highly competitive market.

They leave those improvements to people who notice the difference after they own the coach, as many only notice how big the flat screen tv is or isn't!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:38 AM   #9

Whats CHF?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whmprt View Post
Whats CHF?
Click here for all you want to know

I did the CHF ($0) and it was acceptable for me. But my wife uses it a lot when I'm not along, so I did a Blue Ox Track Bar (about $650) for peace of mind. We're both happy with it now.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Whats CHF?
Look at the link EdInArt supplied, read the first couple posts.

Over the years, I've done the CHF on both my F53s, Its a major improvement in handling. Here is a write up I did that explains it, with a couple photos and drawings.

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 08-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #12

Mine is stock and I'm happy.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:27 AM   #13

Mine has not been altered at all.

I think what is happening is the long winded discussion threads about not modifying your chassis are few and far between.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #14

Gas Coach on Ford F35 chassis

There appears to be differences in opinions on the subject , my studies have drawn me to this conclusion: a lot if not all of the differences in handling are related to the geographical area driven, here in So Cal my 3710 CS was so bad I was nervous to drive it stock. ( and this is my 4th class A) When I got out on the road out of state it was at least 50% better without any modifications.
I did the CHF on the rear, large Hellwig front sway bar, front Sumo's on the front, Safe "T" Steer stabilizer, S&S rear Track Bar, adjust tire pressure . It's like a totally different RV now

Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, ford, gas, f53