Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Smile

I think it all comes down to how you are going to use your motorhome and what you can afford. We went from a 32 foot Mobile Suite 5th wheel to a new 2012 43 foot Newmar Ventana that we lived in during the winter in Florida for three years. In the spring we went north to Indiana for the summer and did trips across the country to see the national parks etc. Last year we purchased a house in Florida and sold the Ventana motorhome thinking we would just drive our car back and forth between Florida and Indiana. However after coming home last June in the car we realized we hated staying in hotels with our two dogs and hauling the suit cases in and out when we stopped. We also didn't like driving 10 or so hours per day to get home. We missed the motorhome and all of the flexibility it gave us while traveling so we purchased a new to us 2010 2901 Newmar Bay Star that had 35,000 miles on it and is in very good condition. After making some personal improvements and some relatively minor repairs we have taken a couple of shake down trips with the Bay Star and absolutely love it. We are now looking forward to heading out in October to make our way to Florida for the winter. The smaller size allows us to stay anywhere including state parks between Indiana and Florida. This coach doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that the Ventana did but we don't need them. We don't need a washer and dryer anymore. The triton v10 seems to have plenty of power for the size of the motorhome. I have some concerns on going down hill but from talking to others the Ford tow haul mode seems to do a good job holding down your speed going down hill. I'll let you know once I have a chance to cross a few mountain ranges. The mileage with the Bay Star is not great averaging just under seven mpg so far but that is what I expected before making the purchase.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #59

I agree!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
I really tried to answer your original question, but to be more direct... In 25K miles, no white knuckles, no being blown by trucks and never met a hill I was concerned with..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #61

I started my motorhome experence talking to a friend of my sister in law who had a 02 kontry star with a 300 HP Cummings. 82 k miles OK condition. She wanted 75k then 50k. I asked her what the dealer was offering her, less than 30 k. I considered this one but instead I bought a new WGO View G. Yes it's smaller, fits me and DW, added Levelers, Travler sat dish, Fox shocks, sumo springs, and a Hellwig sway bar. It now drives well, goes any where. No need for a towed.
I have in two year learned a lot. IMHO buy what you like. If you get a F53 Ford plan on upgrades. Add 10 k to a new one to be safe. Drive it and see what you need. If you can afford a DP, drive it and decide if you want to invest the amount needed. If you are a Diesal mechanic go ahead and buy a old DP. I think a new or near new is the way to go for most people. It may be ABC or DP. If it's new buy from the closet dealer because you will go a lot, also call your prospective dealer and ask when you can bring in a coach for service. My selling dealer in May told me after Labor Day to bring my coach in.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #62

I'm kind of late in the game on this thread. One thing that has not been hit on much is generator choice. Gas rig equal gas generator. Everything I've heard speaks to Onan gas generators equalling problems... especially with fuel since they are carbuerated. If not run OFTEN as in weekly, varnish can stop them cold. I wouldn't want the problems associated with gas powered generators. I've owned my Dutch Star DP for about six months. Went on a 4000 mile trip... boondocking most of the way and in the heat of summer, used the diesel generator extensively. It now has a bit over 700 hours on the generator. Both the coach and generator ran flawlessly. Since then, there's been some side trips as well. Generator continues to be trouble-free.

The folks that point out that maintenance is more expensive with diesel are correct. Unfortunately. An oil change, unless you do it yourself (and I'm no longer able to) costs about $400 due to the fact that oil is counted in gallons plus fuel filters, water separators, etc. Also, I graduated from the school of hard knocks due to my newbie status. Got taken to the cleaners by the local Cummins/Allison distributor/shop which charged me a ridiculous $1700 for changing the Allison transmission oil. (Should have only cost $495.)

Still, I'm happy with my DP. Runs well, quiet, little vibration, etc. As others have said, it's all about torque and power. Also longevity vs gas. Diesel engines, properly maintained, run practically forever. And, I've already mentioned problems with gas generators.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I'm kind of late in the game on this thread. One thing that has not been hit on much is generator choice. Gas rig equal gas generator. Everything I've heard speaks to Onan gas generators equalling problems... especially with fuel since they are carbuerated. If not run OFTEN as in weekly, varnish can stop them cold. I wouldn't want the problems associated with gas powered generators. I've owned my Dutch Star DP for about six months. Went on a 4000 mile trip... boondocking most of the way and in the heat of summer, used the diesel generator extensively. It now has a bit over 700 hours on the generator. Both the coach and generator ran flawlessly. Since then, there's been some side trips as well. Generator continues to be trouble-free.
I never had issues with my gas generators, theynwere always quiet and worked the few times they were used. It was normal in the 7yrs I had the RV for the gen to sit 6+ months without being used. When going south to Florida on two occasions the gen would be run for a extended period to help keep the kids cool but again never a issue. My dad had a rexall rexair 1997 and the RV would sit for years., engine and gen always started. Thus for me zero issues

While many state a diesel RV needs to be used every month to keep the engine happy, I would think the gen would be similar?
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Talked to a lot of technically people that deal with vehicles and generators at work here, everything from honda generators to Hemtt Military vehicles and NO ONE has ever heard of varnish build up. I however do run my generator under load once a month (as stated in the Onan manual) to keep the lubrication up and help with the cylinder rings, they also suggest the same thing with the diesel ones for the exact same reason. So if you are waiting for the gas generator to varnish the trim in your house, it will be a long long time.

Funny how people come up with all kinds of reasons to justify spending the extra money, when it is as simple as ride and capacity that is the real reason, which is fine if you what to spend the money, but making up reasons to justify the purchase is kind of weak.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Gas vs Diesel

In my opinion in the old days gas was a lot "dirtier" and varnish was more of a factor. Don't see to much of it with the new emission friendly gas. In fact if you were to leave some gas in a open container you would most likely find that it would eventually completely evaporate, ( for the purposes of cleaning parts, not recommended due to fire hazard) the gas of old would leave varnish at the bottom of the container. I will say that in my CS the generator went 4 months or more sitting without issue.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #66

My RV is a 1996 gas .
Onan generator has never had any serious work , & it runs great .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
We do not need 45 feet to be comfortable. Another thing we really like about the gassers is the door in the middle. We spend a lot of time out of the rig and trapesing from the front of the rig every time you need to get something from the kitchen when you are cooking outside is a hassle. Our kitchen is right inside the door, so very handy.
We are the type that like being outside, not the ones that pull into a campsite, hook up and dissappear inside until the next morning and load up and drive off.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
We do not need 45 feet to be comfortable. Another thing we really like about the gassers is the door in the middle. We spend a lot of time out of the rig and trapesing from the front of the rig every time you need to get something from the kitchen when you are cooking outside is a hassle. Our kitchen is right inside the door, so very handy.
We are the type that like being outside, not the ones that pull into a campsite, hook up and dissappear inside until the next morning and load up and drive off.
Happy Glamping.
I hate that about DP's. The door that enters in the passenger leg room area. It's seems super inconvenient what with the passenger seat right there. I much prefer a door in the middle of the coach.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Gas vs Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post

Happy Glamping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
I hate that about DP's. The door that enters in the passenger leg room area. It's seems super inconvenient what with the passenger seat right there. I much prefer a door in the middle of the coach.

To add another perspective: putting the door in a space that is mostly unused by the floor plan allows for a more contiguous floor plan, if it were not for the front engine in gasser's you'd see it in them also, IMO.
And as far as not needing 45 to be comfortable: I totally get your point although in fairness Class A Diesel pushers do come in 34 foot floor plans, and some of them have much less "Glamping" capabilities then my 2016 Canyon Star Gasser.
I understood the OP's question about the difference between Gas and Diesel.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #70
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
To add another perspective: putting the door in a space that is mostly unused by the floor plan allows for a more contiguous floor plan, if it were not for the front engine in gasser's you'd see it in them also, IMO.
And as far as not needing 45 to be comfortable: I totally get your point although in fairness Class A Diesel pushers do come in 34 foot floor plans, and some of them have much less "Glamping" capabilities then my 2016 Canyon Star Gasser.
I understood the OP's question about the difference between Gas and Diesel.

I was going to add the same comment about the front door on a DP. That center door wastes a lot of space in most floor plans. I really like having the front placed door on my DP.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas