Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #1

Gates brand "Fleetrunner" Heavy Duty Engine Drive Belts

Just want to share from a friend who does know "everything". He can and does literally work on anything from heavy duty trucks, bull dozers, tractors, engines, transmissions, air craft and on anything mechanical or electrical in a home including appliances. He is and has been a GREAT friend giving me guidance since I prefer to do my own maintenance and did on my last coach. I definitely profess to NOT knowing everything! ha

Anyway, after I mentioned to him that I planned to buy a spare set of drive belts for my coach, he told me I should consider Gates heavy duty Fleetrunner belts. Since his advice has never been wrong, I started looking online using Gates cross reference chart. Ended up having to go to Gates spec sheet (listing ALL sizes) to match two of mine as two did not pop up using their cross reference finder.

Anyway, the attachments show the belts that came on my ISX15 and the Gates Fleetrunner equivalent. REMEMBER these two things if you carry spare belts:
To make side of road installation a breeze, take several photos NOW of proper belt routing around the pullies and tensioners and don't forget the necessary tools to make quick roadside changes. About four years ago, I did have to make a road size change (belt was showing sudden wear that I noticed while stopped in an Interstate rest area in New Mexico) and fortunately I had the correct tools and a spare belt. Here is a link to the Gates Fleetrunner product FleetRunner® Heavy-Duty V-Belts | Gates Corporation
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

My photo attachments have not been wanting to attach lately... trying again now...

That first Cummins Belt number is hard to read in the picture. It is 3103233. The second is 3104420. The third is apparently made by Alliance for Freightliner. The last two I could not cross reference and measured their outer circumference with a cloth sewing tape measure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	147322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	147323  

Old 12-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #3

Last two pics... I will now keep the old belts as side-of-road spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	147324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	147325  

Old 12-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. Have you already had belt trouble on such a new coach?
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post
Thanks for the info. Have you already had belt trouble on such a new coach?
Good morning,

No troubles... When showing my friend my new coach and telling him that I intended to buy an extra set of belts to keep in the coach "just in case" of roadside troubles, he recommended I consider Gates solid greenback FLEETRUNNER belts as they are supposed to be the very best - and, what he uses on his coach and other vehicles he owns. I had never seen or heard of them. While he and I talked about them, he suggested put them on and keep the original "regular" belts as the spares. Very easy to change out (since I took pics of their routing in advance of removing - could not have done it otherwise) and figure it will now be years before I have to worry about belts again. Reason I posted was just to share the availability of these "best" belts, to recommend photographing belt routing NOW for ease of installation if trouble does strike, and to make sure to carry the necessary tools on the road in order to be able to change out a belt if necessary. Not sure how often it happens, but did happen to me once and glad I had a spare belt. And, as a matter of fact, it was a regular Gates belt that started to fail and it was for sure less than three years old, probably two. I did not have pics back then, but fortunately the routing was simple on my old purely mechanical Cummins c8.3

The necessary tools for mine are only a regular 15mm socket and 3/8" drive ratchet; and an 18 inch 1/2" drive breaker bar. Really easy to do and great peace of mind.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-d...bar-67932.html
Old 12-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

I just got the identical belts as on engine now for spare.
Have tools to change out and I watch closely looking for cracks, etc.
I also had Eagles, a '92 and '98. ACA330
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2015 DSDP with about 8000 miles and the belts always squealed on and off over the 8 months we had it - straight off the dealer lot. Dealer would do a temp fix of belt dressing but that never lasted long. Of course, it was one of those coaches that was the last of the 2015 inventory so it sat for some time before we purchased it.

I've found using the same stuff I used to protect my tires from UV and keep them conditioned works much longer than typical belt dressing. Eventually, I guess I'll need some Gates Belts, clean the pulleys off with mineral spirits and clear out the gunk in the pulley grooves with a pick of some kind (read about this trick on a truckers blog.) Then with some nice clean pulleys and new belts I'll try it again. For now, I apply 303 Automotive UV Protectant and so far it has lasted the last few days of travel - maybe 600 miles.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias7000 View Post
My 2015 DSDP with about 8000 miles and the belts always squealed on and off over the 8 months we had it - straight off the dealer lot. Dealer would do a temp fix of belt dressing but that never lasted long. Of course, it was one of those coaches that was the last of the 2015 inventory so it sat for some time before we purchased it.

I've found using the same stuff I used to protect my tires from UV and keep them conditioned works much longer than typical belt dressing. Eventually, I guess I'll need some Gates Belts, clean the pulleys off with mineral spirits and clear out the gunk in the pulley grooves with a pick of some kind (read about this trick on a truckers blog.) Then with some nice clean pulleys and new belts I'll try it again. For now, I apply 303 Automotive UV Protectant and so far it has lasted the last few days of travel - maybe 600 miles.
What your discribing could be from your alternator belt slipping due to weak batteries. The demand of high amp draw from the alternator will stress them. First from recharging after startup and then when the isolator solenoid closes, to charge the house batteries.

Have you noticed when the off and on squealing happens ?

Dealers are notorious for killing old stock, new motorhome batteries. They let them die, boost them for showing and then shut them down before they get a decent charge.

An amp reading of charge current will be a way of checking. See if it's very high or drops off quickly, when squeeling.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
What your discribing could be from your alternator belt slipping due to weak batteries. The demand of high amp draw from the alternator will stress them. First from recharging after startup and then when the isolator solenoid closes, to charge the house batteries.

Have you noticed when the off and on squealing happens ?

Dealers are notorious for killing old stock, new motorhome batteries. They let them die, boost them for showing and then shut them down before they get a decent charge.

An amp reading of charge current will be a way of checking. See if it's very high or drops off quickly, when squeeling.
Great feedback. I'll see if I can log when it happens most. For now, when I dress the belt, the noise stops. Even just doing a quick water test (spray water on the inside of the belt when running) the noise stops instantly. I learned this trick from a mechanic on youtube so take it for what its worth.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

Jeff -
I used the link your furnished above to get to Gates Fleetrunner but I can't seem to find the Gates spec sheets to locate belts for my 2015 450 HP cummins engine. Tried several sites but nothing for belt numbers.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #11

Gates Cross reference

Wagonmaster2,

I have a 2016 450 HP Cummins engine and was looking for the information as well.

If you go to the Gates web site (Powering Progress™ in belts, hose & hydraulics) and enter the Cummins or Freightliner belt part number in the Parts/Interchange search box on their home page, it will give you the equivalent Gates part number.

My alternator sepentine belt (Cummins 3972263) cross referenced to a Gates K080830HD and the fan gear box serpentine belt (Freightliner 0132155676) cross referenced to a Gates K080660HD.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #12

Hi Wagonmaster, and, thank you Tom for posting the link to the Gates interchange search engine. And, W E L C O M E to the forum! (I see it was your first post)

If the link Tom provided does not find a cross reference, which it did not for two of my belts, you can use the link below which lists ALL Fleetrunner belts.

A couple of tips for finding your belt using the link below:

- The first belt in the link is Gates K040378HD
- The first two digits are the number of ribs - "04" means it has four micro-v "ribs"
- The last digits (0378) means this particular belt is 37.8 inches in length.

So, if you are looking for a belt with 10 ribs, you would move over to the catalog page starting out with K10_______

When you click on a particular belt, it will then provide the length, width, and more. If an exact match cannot be found, a very slightly longer belt will work because the belt tensioner on the engine will keep it tight, however, a slightly shorter belt may not fit as it may not be long enough to go around the pulleys and tensioners.

https://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comerg...tNavigateFrame ***CLICK AUTOMOTIVE, then BELTS, then Fleetrunner MICRO V BELTS***
Old 12-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
Wagonmaster2,

I have a 2016 450 HP Cummins engine and was looking for the information as well.

If you go to the Gates web site (Powering Progress™ in belts, hose & hydraulics) and enter the Cummins or Freightliner belt part number in the Parts/Interchange search box on their home page, it will give you the equivalent Gates part number.

My alternator sepentine belt (Cummins 3972263) cross referenced to a Gates K080830HD and the fan gear box serpentine belt (Freightliner 0132155676) cross referenced to a Gates K080660HD.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #14

Wagonmaster- They "should be" stamped on the belt. IMHO, I would double check what you currently have since you know they fit and work properly.

2016 Newmar Essex 4519
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
1997 American Eagle No More

Tags
engine