Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Gen Auto Start

Laying in bed last night, I started thinking about the E-Plex energy management in my Essex . 1'st time I put it in storage ,and I think I still had the Gen Auto Start set to come on when the bat's get down to 11.4 volts.
Even if you turn off the 12 volt on the overhead will the gen still run? I know it's tied into my Magnum ME_3112 inverter.

Anybody have an idea?

A K
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure this is the answer to your question but if you shut off your 12 volts with your battery cut off switch, don't see how your generator will start, it needs that 12v's, at least thats what happens on mine.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I hope it works that way, but I think I'll run out next week and check it out.

It's always something.
Thanks
A K
Old 12-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
A K, that 11.4 V is quite low. Is that what was recommended by your dealer? My autogenstart will sometimes not start at such a low voltage, so I can't trust it. Remember, those batts are half discharged around 12.0 volts and repeated dips below 50% charge will shorten battery life.

What are others using as a kick-in voltage?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
cwg

Our coach was set by the Newmar techs while at the factory at 11.4 . It was explained that if the auto gen is set much higher, it will cause a cycling protocol which is not good for the batteries.... something about the charging threshold is so low that they get more and more depleted. One of the electricial gurus will have to chime in for a more scientific answer.

I have left ours at 11.4 and thus far so good.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #6

CWG's answer of 11.4/11.5 volts is correct as is not to run your batteries at 12.0 or so. The difference is, never run your battery down much below 12.3, AT A RESTED STATE. While your unit is operating, like running the frig, powering the TV's on inverter (even in the off position) etc. ect., your batteries are not at a rested state. This is paticularly true for all electric rigs. For example: If you were to turn off your electric shore power and run until your inside panel reads 11.5 volts. Now disconnect all loads by turning off the house bank. Wait 1 hour and then test the battery with a multi-meter. Pesto 12.1/12.2 or 12.3.
The key is rested state, not carrying any loads.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting....Last night I was dry camping, so was messing with my 11.8 V. cut-in voltage and a minute or so later the auto gen started. So I set it for 11.7 v. cut-in and went to bed. Woke up in the AM to find it dropped through the 11.7 threshold to 11.4V. and reverted to manual start, so it never did start that night. What's that all about?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #8

Well, You must have manually stopped the genset when it started the night before. If you manually control the genset in anyway, start it or stop it, it will cancel the "Auto Gen" arm. You must either let it control it totally or re-arm it after manuallly stopping. So, your unit is working perfect.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I did manually stop it, but then re-set it to "auto on". Not sure what else I can do to get it to operate properly. Are you saying there's more to it than this?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #10

There are several events that cause the auto gen start to disarm, manual control and ignition activation are two. Try it again and I would think it will work as it should. It can not cancel automatically itself.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Lug, while I appreciate your sentiments, I have had this issue repeatedly since new. Yes, the ignition switch WILL dis-arm it, so I'm aware of that. I've re-connected the power feed to the Onan30 panel to receive a "beefier" current, something that will not drop when I get a current draw from the generator starter, but so far, no luck. See, if voltage drops suddenly, it will revert back to "manual". So, I believe the key is to find an electrical source that is more reflective of voltage in the battery pack.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Hell, I can't even change mine. It's in the E-plex computer for auto start and you need a remote for the Magnum inverter , which I don't have. I want to be able to autostart with the inside temp.

Also, mine will run on inverter from about 5 at night to 7 in the morning before it auto starts at 11.4 volts. Works pretty good. That's with Hydro hot and TV's and microwave.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Lug, while I appreciate your sentiments, I have had this issue repeatedly since new. Yes, the ignition switch WILL dis-arm it, so I'm aware of that. I've re-connected the power feed to the Onan30 panel to receive a "beefier" current, something that will not drop when I get a current draw from the generator starter, but so far, no luck. See, if voltage drops suddenly, it will revert back to "manual". So, I believe the key is to find an electrical source that is more reflective of voltage in the battery pack.
It sounds like yours is not buffering the power sample. There is a buffering (requiring a certain timeframe at a given voltage to react) circuit that allows short surges to be ignored by the auto start. This is built in the control board. Perhaps the board needs to be replaced.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah, I've thought about that, but Onan did replace my original Onan 30 panel about 18 months ago and the problem has persisted. But yes, it does seem to malfunction in the way you are describing. Could the SECOND panel also be deficient?