Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Generator Auto Start or freakish event?

Last evening we had a bad thunderstorm roll through our area. At about 2:30 this morning we lost power. As a result (presumably) my generator came on thus waking us. My DW went forward to turn the generator off as the power came back on. It was a short duration and the generator hadn't settled in to take over the power load when she shut it down. I did a search but nothing I found deals with this kind of problem.

According to our build sheet we don't have auto start. But, none the less it started.I have to admit that is one aspect of our RV that I have not become familiar with (owned our new to us Northern Star since last November). So, I've a question.

How do I tell if I have auto-gen start? I have a Xantrex controller and the remote to go with it and I read that auto-start can be programmed (given the right equipment). What piece of equipment am I looking for in the power bay?

If I don't have auto generator start whey the heck did the thing come on during the outage? Feeling confused
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I always suggest new owners of an RV explore every cabinet, closet, and compartment, noting name and model of every component, also note any fuses, breakers, etc. Then sit down and Google each item you found and find an owner's or service manual. Those documents will tell you if auto start is a feature of one of your installed systems. They'll also tell you how to program when they come on to charge batteries, etc. To have owned the RV for 8 months and not understand what you've got is not a wise course of action.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I always suggest new owners of an RV explore every cabinet, closet, and compartment, noting name and model of every component, also note any fuses, breakers, etc. Then sit down and Google each item you found and find an owner's or service manual. Those documents will tell you if auto start is a feature of one of your installed systems. They'll also tell you how to program when they come on to charge batteries, etc. To have owned the RV for 8 months and not understand what you've got is not a wise course of action.
It's not that I don't know what is in each cabinet, moreover it's that I don't recognize an auto start switch because I don't know what it looks like.

Your suggestion to note all components is a good one though and I appreciate the advice. I have replaced the surge protection system already but I haven't had the need to open any of the electrical boxes within that bay because I had no reason to. Now if you want to know whats in my wet bay or the opposite end at the peg board bay I can tell you that I am quite intimate with those systems as well as our slide systems and leveling system.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This is a known problem and it's been discussed here.

Moisture gets into the remote/control electrical connector on the generator and can cause the generator to start.

The solution is to dry and clean the connector.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
It's just that a thunderstorm, power surge, or shore power outage shouldn't trigger a generator to start. The button needs to be held down long enough for the starter to spin and generator to start, and 12v must be supplied for the generator to continue. I suspect you have an autostart feature in your generator system.

I grew up around yachts in the Chesapeake. The number of folks that bought boats and knew little more than how to turn the key were all around us. One fellow asked where the brake pedal was. I've always made it a habit to learn all that I can about any piece of equipment I own or operate.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It's just that a thunderstorm, power surge, or shore power outage shouldn't trigger a generator to start. The button needs to be held down long enough for the starter to spin and generator to start, and 12v must be supplied for the generator to continue. I suspect you have an autostart feature in your generator system.

I grew up around yachts in the Chesapeake. The number of folks that bought boats and knew little more than how to turn the key were all around us. One fellow asked where the brake pedal was. I've always made it a habit to learn all that I can about any piece of equipment I own or operate.
BFlinn, I've given a lot of thought about what you stated above. My generator never starts without holding the preheat for whatever time is appropriate for the outside temps. Of course when already warmed it starts immediately. This is exactly why I posted my question to begin with. It was running when we awoke.

So, either the water intrusion problem as referenced by Route 66 is the plausible answer or I sleep walk and exercise the beasts equipment.

For the others that responded to me, assumptions that I am neophyte to RV's are just that, an assumption I have owned RV's in different itterations for the last 25 years. I know do my way around RV systems and how to repair them.

I doubt whether any of us ever intentionally takes systems apart prior to problems just to see what's there (I may be wrong about that). I don't either. However, once a system needs attention I immerse myself. That said I am headed out to check those Generator connectors. And I also have read my manuals thoroughly, some more than others due to the problems we've had to overcome when we became owners of a 12 year old coach.

I will report back as to what I found.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I finally got around to checking the plug that Route 66 mentioned. It was wrapped in a piece of rubber and the ends were tied with wire ties. The PO must have a problem here too. However, everything was dry and it wasn't corroded even a little.

So, I guess I need to do some research in the electric bay and figure out if I have AGS. If I do then my Xantrex remote panel has never been set up by anyone.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I found that I do not have auto gen start. Since I had the event as noted in the first post I must assume there is another connector that got wet during the rain event. I am continuing to look for the flawed component/s.

Tags
vent, generator