Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
On my 1996 Newmar Dutch Star we are having a problem with the coach batteries. We run the generator and charge the batteries (the batteries are new) but something in the coach is draining them. We have the power turned off (store), nothing in the coach running as it is stored for the winter, but when we go to run the generator every couple of weeks, the batteries are almost dead. We cannot figure out what is draining the power from the coach batteries when everything is turned off. Any suggestions? Of course, we are newbies!!

Thanks

Barb
panacea97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
On my 1996 Newmar Dutch Star we are having a problem with the coach batteries. We run the generator and charge the batteries (the batteries are new) but something in the coach is draining them. We have the power turned off (store), nothing in the coach running as it is stored for the winter, but when we go to run the generator every couple of weeks, the batteries are almost dead. We cannot figure out what is draining the power from the coach batteries when everything is turned off. Any suggestions? Of course, we are newbies!!

Thanks

Barb
Old 01-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Barb,
Welcome to iRV2. The first thing I would do is go to the new batteries and check:
1. water level in each cell is correct.
2. a hydrometer reading of each cell is correct.
These two checks will provide a good baseline to start with.
3. Take the positive cable off the battery supplying the coach. Using the AMP setting on a multi meter place one lead on the positive battery cable and the other lead on the battery cable suppling the coach. With the coach in "store" mode there should be no draw on the battery. If there is a draw, then there is something(s) remaining on. If the coach is new to you, these items could have been after market gadgets installed by the previous owner. If this is the case, you will now start a treasure hunt to find the offending appliance(s). This could be radio, CB radio, tire monitor, towed vehicle towing wiring, etc. Anything installed after market. If you have a helper, one person can pull one fuse at a time while the other person watches the meter. This may help identify the offending circuit.

If there is no AMP draw, I'd take the batteries out of the coach. Take them home and put them on a charger. Ensure they are fully charged. Leave them alone for a couple of weeks and check each battery. Are they still fully charged? Do not leave the batteries on a concrete floor. Put them in a nonfreezing environment isolated from any ground. Wood is a good material to set them on.

Good luck and post here with your progress.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by panacea97:

Thanks

Barb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the usual culprits it the LPG gas detector. It must be turned off manually and if not will quickly drain batteries.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Good catch Leo, I forgot about the LP detector.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
He beat me on that one also. Some others could be your control boards to refer, furnace, water heater. I never checked what is the draw of these items but would pull the plugs or fuse to them even if I shut the battery cut off switch and LP Detector switch.
I have my coach plugged in all winter to keep batteries up and I do check the water for them.
I would also follow Gary's advice and charge batteries with a charger the Gen will take to long to bring to full charge this time of year in Canada.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all of the advice. We'll try everything tomorrow!! This is our first motorhome and there is still so much to learn. We bought it privately and our instruction only took one hour and then we were on our own!!

Barb
Old 01-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
By the way - how do you manually turn off the LPG gas detector? Thanks

Barb
Old 01-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a switch marked LP in the tank level display area. If your detector does not work on newer coachs there is a 1 amp fuse in a bundle of wires right drivers side on fire wall in a gas coach.
It is marked LP Detector.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #10

Also--there is a "climate control" heat strip inside the edge of the door of your Dometic refrigerator. Its' purpose is to keep things inside from condensating. The switch that runs it is just inside the door frame--hidden from view--ya gotta bend down and look up to see it. The switch is marked *1* (for ON) and *0* (for OFF). It is marked in binary code ie. the number one is ON and the number zero is OFF. If the switch is left in *1* it STAYS ON even though the fridge is off on the front panel!! You do not normally EVER need to run that heat strip-in-the-door. It is easily forgotten and then you get the mystery dead Coach Batteries thing...on some Dometic Models they do the same chore, using that same switch, to bring on the interior fridge light 24/7. The heat from that single bulb keeps the food inside from getting damp....remembering that I have CRS I labled the offending switch with my Dymo label maker--LOL.."Let's see, does "OH" mean ON?? hmmm.."

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
While your checking the many things that have been offered up, check the 12VDC boost power to your TV antenna. If on this is a substantial battery drainer.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote