Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #1

Generator- gas Bay Star

How long you think I should go before running my generator. If I'm not traveling I try to start it after a month. Think I could go two months. Don't want that ethanol gas to screw up the carberator.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
How long you think I should go before running my generator. If I'm not traveling I try to start it after a month. Think I could go two months. Don't want that ethanol gas to screw up the carberator.
Everything I've seen and read recommends 1 month max, warm up for a couple of minutes then run for an hour or so at 50% load. If you occasionally stretch that to 2 months, I don't think you're going to cause huge problems, but I try to avoid it myself.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

I run mine every month, never longer than that, but if we travel it may get run more often. You don't want the carburetor to get gummed up. The newer generators have carburetors that cannot be cleaned and if they get plugged up they have to be replaced. This was supposedly done in an agreement with the EPA to avoid having to have the generators part of the smog checks.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run mine an hour or so when parked in storage each month. (Even tho the rig is plugged into 50amp).

In the warm weather, I'll go start the genset and let it run the 2 AC units. In the Fall - - I will do the same but run the heat pumps.

When traveling - I will often run the genset when we drive, again running the 2 roof AC/HPs.

When living in the rig at our winter campsite - even though we are plugged in using all utilities - I will run the genset for that hour each month as when in storage.

And since my memory is not what it used to be - I keep a log of when and how long I ran the generator set....

Hope this helps......

g
Old 08-04-2017, 05:22 AM   #5

I store mine 10 hours, round trip, away from my winter abode, so I disconnect the gas line, into the generator fuel pump, and start it up.

It runs a minute or so before it sucks the gas out of the carb. I then hook up the line, to be ready for the next time.

When I head south, I leave a fleet of engines with carburators at my summer place, and do the same to them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I store mine 10 hours, round trip, away from my winter abode, so I disconnect the gas line, into the generator fuel pump, and start it up.

It runs a minute or so before it sucks the gas out of the carb. I then hook up the line, to be ready for the next time.

When I head south, I leave a fleet of engines with carburators at my summer place, and do the same to them.
I do the same with all of my off-season gasoline engines. I keep a couple of 5-gallon cans of stabilized fuel for emergencies, with as little air in the jug as possible. If it weren't so inconvenient, propane would be the best fuel for infrequent use.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

When our CS is in storage, I go over once a week, 5 miles, and fire up the generator. Like others turn on some lights and both AC/HP's. Then recline back with a good book. My plan is for an hour but a short unintended nap usually makes it longer. Once a week may be a bit much but it makes for a quiet getaway.

Harold & Becky
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, generator