RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Generator shuts down.

This last weekend I was using my generator all weekend. Started it Thursday afternoon for the weekend. Twice I came back to the coach and it had stopped. Once on Friday and then again on Saturday. Both times it started back up. This happened over memorial day weekend also, only doing it once. I saw no codes on the generator. No other problems with the generator. What could be causing this. Is there a rum time limit I'm not aware of? I have the Magnum energy system. Going to be using it again this weekend. If there is a problem would like to fix it before it gets worse or stops all together. Fluids are all at normal levels. Will be changing oil and filter today, just about to the 250hr mark. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
There are a lot of things that can cause it. I am assuming that you have at lease 1/4 tank of gas in the RV so that the genny gets gas. One of the times it happened to me and I did not have a code the problem turned out to be small cracks in the gas line which did not leak gas but did allow air to get in the hose.

My generator was a 4k microquiet. If this is what you have then you can easily remove the hose from the bowl of the carb and see if the hose is dry. Try starting it and see if you smell gas at the tailpipe. Try running the fuel pump on prime by holding the stop button down for a minute or so. You will hear or feel the pump vibrating. If you don't then the pump if bad. If you do then stop. Remove the hose from the carb and put it into a container. Run prime again and see if you get gas coming out of it. If you don't get a nice strong stream then you have a problem. It can be a clogged filter or no gas at the hose. If you can access the filter change it. See if you have gas coming from the fuel line. If not try using a hose going to a container with gas. If it runs then it is fine.

My fuel line looked fine but leaked air. I changed the line from the generator to the tank. I could not drop the tank to get to the top where the hose attached to the pipe so I cut the old hose as close as I could get to the fitting and used a splice. It has worked fine since then

If you have a fuel supply then the next thing to check is electrical. Remove the electrical cover under the carb. Check every one of the spade lug connectors to see if they are loose and arcing. This also applies to the 4k microquiet.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mine is a 10k diesel. Really think it's a run time issue. Other than stopping twice it ran from Thursday at 10 in the morning till Sunday morning at 9 with no other issues.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Generator shuts down.

Changing the fuel filter is a small price to pay to rule out that possibility. Floating particles and load based fuel consumption may have come into phase. If anything it wonít hurt and one more thing done till next time. Canít help with the Magnum but wish you the best. Our 1999 onan doesnít throw a code when my genny stoped due to a fuel filter. Never tried to restart it until after the filter change. Hopefully itís the simple things causing a shutdown.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Will change the filter when I do the oil change this week.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Aside from the problem being with the generator, check the AGS settings to be sure that you don't have a setting causing the shut down,for example, quiet hours etc.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'll check.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Check your coolant level. If it runs a bit warm for a few minutes you will get a shutdown.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I'll check it.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
To help keep the heat down on the generator I usually open the front nose about a foot to help with air circulation.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 10kw routinely runs 5 days without ever shutting down.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #12

Hi Patrick,

We have the same coach and I was having the same problems. At first it would run for a day or so. Then it got to where it would shut down anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours.

The generator will store the last shut down code. Go to the generator and hit the stop button 3 times within 3 seconds. The light will blink out the code.

If the generator is overheating and shutting down, you would get a code 1 (one blink pause one blink.)

Codes one and two do not have sub code so you will only see one blink for high temp or two blinks for low oil pressure.

You are likely to see 3 blinks followed by a pause and then 6 blinks. It will repeat the code for 5 minutes.

MECHANICAL FAULT—CODE NO. 36
(The Controller declared this fault because engine speed fell below 1000 RPM for 0.5 seconds, though not by Controller action)

I went through a bunch of trouble shooting. We changed the oil, coolant, fuel pump... nothing fixed it.

I disconnected the hot wires on my fuel pump. Then I ran a hot (12V) wire from the leveling system to a switch and then from the switch to the fuel pump.

I can run the generator for as long as I want now. At some point, I will replace the relay... if that does not do it, I will need to replace the CPU.

I hope this helps.
-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. Going out this weekend. If it does it after I've changed oil, filter and fuel filter, I'll check for codes before restarting.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Forgot to post. Went out last weekend . Ran the generator from Thursday morning to Sunday morning. It never shut down.

Tags
generator