RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #1

Using the exhaust brake coming through the hills of W. VA recently, the check engine light and alarm came on whenever the revs stayed over 2,000 on the downshifts on our Mountain Aire with 450 ISM. We took it to Bridgeway Cummins in Cincinnati and they diagnosed it as having half a gallon too much oil causing the pressure sensor to go screwy. I remembered that in September at Spartan for an oil change they'd replaced the dipstick, saying the wrong one had been put on our engine at manufacture.

The Cummins boys drained 10 gallons of oil, refilled to spec at 9.5 gallons, and measured the oil pressure at high RPM with their instruments. . . and all was well. They said they'd seen this problem before.

What apparently happens is at oil change time 10 gallons will be put in when it should only be 9.5 and at 10, of course, the dipstick is no longer accurate so they replace it with another one that reads fulll at 10 gals. Wrong!

So the original dipstick installed by Cummins was correct (by the way, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the plastic dipstick TUBE issue). Cummins re-notched the back of my dipstick so now it reads full at 9.5 gals, as it should. Cummins and Spartan picked up the tab for all this so we didn't have to pay for it.

Just thought you'd all want to know in case you get check engine alarms or start to have oil pressure sensor problems after an oil change. BTW, the Cummins techs reiterated to NEVER overfill the oil.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #2

Using the exhaust brake coming through the hills of W. VA recently, the check engine light and alarm came on whenever the revs stayed over 2,000 on the downshifts on our Mountain Aire with 450 ISM. We took it to Bridgeway Cummins in Cincinnati and they diagnosed it as having half a gallon too much oil causing the pressure sensor to go screwy. I remembered that in September at Spartan for an oil change they'd replaced the dipstick, saying the wrong one had been put on our engine at manufacture.

The Cummins boys drained 10 gallons of oil, refilled to spec at 9.5 gallons, and measured the oil pressure at high RPM with their instruments. . . and all was well. They said they'd seen this problem before.

What apparently happens is at oil change time 10 gallons will be put in when it should only be 9.5 and at 10, of course, the dipstick is no longer accurate so they replace it with another one that reads fulll at 10 gals. Wrong!

So the original dipstick installed by Cummins was correct (by the way, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the plastic dipstick TUBE issue). Cummins re-notched the back of my dipstick so now it reads full at 9.5 gals, as it should. Cummins and Spartan picked up the tab for all this so we didn't have to pay for it.

Just thought you'd all want to know in case you get check engine alarms or start to have oil pressure sensor problems after an oil change. BTW, the Cummins techs reiterated to NEVER overfill the oil.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
cwg

Thanks for the good heads up information, Joe. I have had a few occasions when the toad was overfilled after an oilchange, but not the rv. I will watch for it.

By the way, you should also advertise your blog here on the forum. It is the best I get to enjoy and very well written. And don't be humble. I have shared it with few fellow rvers, and they have nothing but accolades for your script. Keep up the good work.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">By the way, you should also advertise your blog here on the forum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'd be great if you'd add a link to it in your signature....

Having read a portion of your blog where the nice officer was looking for the big bad crash, it brought back memories of one of the times I was sitting on the side of the road looking at the fan belt fiasco with the Essex and the toad.....
Apparently a well meaning passer-by called to report a serious MH versus car crash.
As I sat in the drivers seat I watched the nice officer pull up behind the MH with the toad attached, and he walked up the right side of the coach to the entry door. He then proceeded to ask me where the other driver was.

When I walked him back to the rear of the rig and showed him very politely that I was PULLING the toad, he kept walking and got in his car....
Guess he missed that fact when he walked by the first time?

Back on topic, several years ago my brother took his vehicle to one of those "speedy change" outfits who shall remain nameless. After the job was apparently done they pulled his car out of the pit and led him to it. As he was pulling away, imagine his surprise at seeing the young gentleman RUNNING after him with his drain plug in his hand.....

We all need to exercise caution when allowing others to do work on our vehicles, as that human factor creeps in from time to time.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #5

Interesting, as the oil capacity of an ISM is almost 41 quarts (according to my book), which equates to 10.25 gallons.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote