Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirManFL View Post
Sorry for the newbie question here but I'm hoping someone can ease my mind.

I have a 2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSCA 3744, 37' gasser.

I'm about 240 lbs. and when I step on the ladder just seeing the thing flex makes me nervous about climbing it. I've read that the weight limit is about 250 lbs. on some coaches. If I knew more about how they're mounted, it might help.

Also, once I get on the roof, any advice to prevent damage once I'm up there.

Again, I apologize for the simple question, but I get a little anxious when my feet are higher than about 6'

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob,

I use a real aluminum ladder that fits in my basement to access the roof. I too weight 250 and don't quite trust the ladder installed on the rear of my unit. I place the ladder on the rear wall of my aft bedroom slide, climb up and then step from the ladder to the roof of the unit. Never walk on the sides where the roof material meets the sidewall. Stay off the front and rear caps. Wear good shoes and try to distribute your weight while on the roof. Be careful when climbing and if you get uncomfortable while doing any of this then don't do it. Get a friend who will help you out. Good luck.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My ladder stand offs are riveted to the fiberglass rear cap, no reinforcement that I can see. However; it is the style that loops at the top back down to the roof, otherwise @ 230# I would stay off it. Having said that I have used it several times in the last year with no flex etc.. I also normally board it off a short step ladder, staying off the bottom rungs. Just remember the landing is the important part, nothing else counts.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I HATE free standing ladders. Fell off of one as a teenager. I am not afraid of heights (Fly, Skydived, hung off the roof of the Chicago Hancock building once.) and as long as the ladder is anchored to something, I am good to go. I use my rear ladder all the time and I am 215#.

The one I had on my Winnebago made the transition from the ladder to the roof and visa-versa a little scary. The taller hand old and having the top steps a little further away from the end cap makes that transition on my DSDP much easier.

Still...it is a confidence thing. If you are not confident in getting on the roof, don't do it. You can make a mistake constantly second guessing yourself.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I appreciate all of the input and advice. While I'm not fond of heights, I'm ok once I have a solid surface below my feet. I'm convinced this has kept me safe in the past. My biggest concern is watching the ladder flex and seeing the little screws holding into the side. I'm in the air conditioning and heating business and once was a service technician in the field climbing plenty of extension ladders. It's one of those things I've never liked, but I will do it when I need to.

Based on your input and advice, I'm going to get an extension ladder. I will more than likely tie it off at the top of the rv ladder.

I store my RV in a warehouse and the old insulation is breaking down leaving the roof really dirty. I just want to be able to get up there and clean it once in a while.

Again...thank you for the help.

Rob
AirManFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #19

Rexhall Owners Group
I appreciate the wealth of knowledge shared by the members of these forums. I would like to share one item with regards to working on the roof of an RV.
The October issue of Popular Mechanics has an article titled "How not to die".It states that ONE mistake is responsible for about half of all ladder accidents: carrying something while climbing. When I am working on the roof of either the stick & brick house, or the RV, I place the tools that I will need into an empty five gallon bucket, attach a rope, loop the rope loosely through my belt, or a carabiner on my belt, and once I have used both hands and feet to safely access the roof, haul the bucket up. I also use this method for the garden hose, and/or broom. ( sometimes use both ends of the same rope ).
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I appreciate the wealth of knowledge shared by the members of these forums. I would like to share one item with regards to working on the roof of an RV.
The October issue of Popular Mechanics has an article titled "How not to die".It states that ONE mistake is responsible for about half of all ladder accidents: carrying something while climbing. When I am working on the roof of either the stick & brick house, or the RV, I place the tools that I will need into an empty five gallon bucket, attach a rope, loop the rope loosely through my belt, or a carabiner on my belt, and once I have used both hands and feet to safely access the roof, haul the bucket up. I also use this method for the garden hose, and/or broom. ( sometimes use both ends of the same rope ).
Great comment
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ladders they bolt to motor homes are junk in my not very humble opinion... I would get a good multi-ladder with at least a 250 pound rating (The one I have is step/extension) long enough to extend at least 3-4 Feet above the roof when set up.

This ladder is way easier to climb (Being slanted) and get on and off of (Same reason) and a Multi ladder can be used for other things like washing the sides.

The roof won't have any problem with you.

Now.. In my case I had the ladder.. So what I did was pull the original ladder off (About half that job was done by the same method the O/P fears.. I climbed it and it failed to hold my 300 pounds).

Then I put a pair of "J" hooks near the roof line that hold my "New" (older than the motor home) ladder. and a shower "Assist" Bar (Stainless) from the bath isle at the hardwar/home improvemt store near the bottom

The ladder hands on the hooks, and a bicycle lock keeps it from walking off.

I've had people climb it hanging (The hooks will each hold my 300+ no problem) (Tested using a roap).

But normally I take it down and climb it like I have many times back when I worked as a roofer.

But that factory ladder... .I avoid those.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1119410375.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	45821

My coach lived up north before I bought it. Bottom two attachments rusted out. Other may be in bad shape also. I have parts to repair, just need to get it done.

So if anyone has an old coach, ladder my not hold what it was designed to handle when new.
If mine was not rusted completely out my not have noticed.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Re-reading this thread.. one person commented on "Free Standing Ladders" and having fallen off one (done that myself a few times).

One option when using an extension ladder, in fact if I'm on a job where OSHA may show up this is a MUST DO, and we did it often when I worked on ladders for a living (Strange job for an Acrophob).

Pick your set up so you can tie it off when you get to the top.

That way

1: It does not leave without you

2: it does not slip slide away.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
Re-reading this thread.. one person commented on "Free Standing Ladders" and having fallen off one (done that myself a few times).

One option when using an extension ladder, in fact if I'm on a job where OSHA may show up this is a MUST DO, and we did it often when I worked on ladders for a living (Strange job for an Acrophob).

Pick your set up so you can tie it off when you get to the top.

That way

1: It does not leave without you

2: it does not slip slide away.
This is really good advice. I no longer go up on the roof of our S&B house, so our local handyman has been doing my gutter cleaning, house painting, bird and squirrel damage repair, etc for the last 10 years. Every day this guy and his crew go up and down ladders with ease and without problem. He had told me he had not fallen off a ladder in his 25 years of doing home repair jobs. Last summer it happened to him, climbing down on a ladder from my garage roof. he had just lowered his tools to his helper when he started down on the ladder and the ladder slid sideways. By the time he or his helper reacted is was too late and his 6'2" frame was laying in a pile on my driveway with the gutter and ladder on top of him. The good news was nothing was broken on his body and he did not have a head injury but only suffered a sprained ankle and wrist, and that cost him a week out of work. I saw him today, working on a roof across the street from my house and sure enough he had the ladder tied off and is now using ladders with wider bases.

I go up on the roof of the Motorhome only a few times of the year. Since I have a brother who owns a Winnebago Vectra we do our roofs together so one of us can pass up hoses buckets, etc and keep an eye on the other on the roof. My DSDP has the fiberglass roof, and molded into the fiberglass is a textured walkway. I stay on the walk way for the most part and feel secure. The only aspect of going up on the roof that gives me pause, is when it is time to get back onto the ladder from the roof.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't see mention of this, so for the FWIW dept.; please be very careful when washing the roof of the RV. A fellow camper slipped and fell into the awning (it was extended) due to the slippery surface (fiberglass roof material) once cleansing soap was applied. As I get older, I am less likely to risk life and limb on the RV roof.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFZ View Post
...Last summer it happened to him, climbing down on a ladder from my garage roof. he had just lowered his tools to his helper when he started down on the ladder and the ladder slid sideways....
You bring up another point Mike.. When I climbed ladders for a living I was covered by full Workman's Comp. If you HIRE someone to go on your roof, make sure he is a licensed contractor (or he works for one) and is fully insured INCLUDING workman's comp. Else... You may be the one who feels the pain.

By the way the advice to tie it off (If you do it right you can un-tie it from the ground later) is actually a REQUIREMENT under federal law.. But then.. Most of us are not covered by that law.. I was, being an employoee.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Over 200#, I'd use a regular ladder to get up top and not trust the flimsy RV ladder.

Ken
I agree with Ken. I weigh about 200 lbs and I stand a regular 8' stepladder next to the MH ladder. I climb the stepladder almost to the top then step over to the MH ladder. I think the MH ladder would support me without any problem but this is SO much easier!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #28

On our Newmar Essex I added small sheet metal screw to the bottom of each step so that each step is a lot stronger. Only takes 10 minutes with self tapping sheet metal screws.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof