Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Getting ready to reseal roof

We recently purchased a 2007 AllStar 3950 and have been doing all of the normal new owner repairs that seem to come with any new to you RV. While doing these I came across something odd, it looks like the shower skylight was sealed with something other then dicor. Does anyone here have an any idea why this was done, is there a material compatibility problem with using dicor for the skylight or should I just pull the existing stuff and reseal?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760[1].jpg
Views:	194
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	15898  
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No I would leave what is on skylight alone or you will run into more trouble.
Newmar uses a self leveling sealant Dicor puts out.
Your roof seams, metal ridge with many screws, are excellent just look for possible loose screws and if not stainless replace with one.
Most roofs have dabs of sealant over tops of screws but yours look clean the roofs not that old and your should not have any cracks in that area.
I'm in the process of resealing all my seams with products I got at Newmar when I was there, may add tape over the roof seams to cut down on maintenince eventually.
I'd say you have a very clean roof, seams and sealant wise compared to others I have seen.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
For those of you that have to reseal and remove old caulk- especially skylights and vents- removing the old caulk is a tiring job.

I purchased one of those vibrating saws(Dremel), it has a scraper attachment and it does wonders cutting through and removing the old caulk right down to the fiberglass roof. Some care is required and I don't know if I'd try it on a rubber roof. I don't think Newmar uses rubber iirc from our tour this summer.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Your AllStar roof is TPO, which is a much tougher version of rubber roofing. You can use either of the methods 007 suggests to re-seal, I personally will be using the Eternabond tape method as it has a great reputation as pointed out in this and other forums.

The skylight is sealed with the self-leveling Dicor sealant as 007 mentioned.

I agree with Tom and Patty, I would not use the Dremel attachment on the TPO roof to remove the old caulk, I've used the old fashioned plastic scraper and elbow grease method successfully in the past, then followed up with Rubber Roof cleaner (Dicor and ProtectAll are some brands).

Tom and Patty, FYI Newmar used TPO for their lower line coaches at least through 2008. The high line used fiberglass plus you could order fiberglass for some of the lower line coaches, at least that was what I was told when my son and I visited the factory in Feb 2008.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our 2002 DSDP they specify a different sealer for the skylight as the Dicor is not compatible with plastic used in it. It's listed in our owners manual which I don't have here right now. I would expect it's the same for all years that use the same skylight material.

BriteTek is not a "rubber" roof. It blends the benefits of EPDM and TPO (thermoplastic olefin) and passes the ASTM 20 year accelerated weathering test.

Just went and got my manual, it says: Surebond #SB-140 ALL SKYLIGHTS (Their capitalization so it must be important).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #6

You guys look real close at that picture?

It sure does NOT look anything like the Dicor self-leveling stuff (a smooth white wide flow, not chunky, yellowish with minimal flow). Whatever it is, it even appears to be not applied correctly - gaps between the edges of the skylight and roof, stingy/marginal application all around. Left edge and lower left corner.... Or is that just me???

Me thinks someone has replaced that skylight and - based on the picture - did a rather poor job of sealing it. IF that is the case I might strongly consider removing the stuff they used (with a gentle to the roof manual method) and resealing with proper Dicor self-level for the roof type.... Not sure I'd even Eterna-Bond over whatever that stuff is....

Unless this is some new sealing method I am not familiar with???

BTW Here's the Surebond data sheet. "Easy to remove" is a claim to fame. I can't see anything different than Dicor?????

http://www.surebond.com/data_sheets/ds_new/sb140_ds.pdf

Anyone????
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
BTW Here's the Surebond data sheet. "Easy to remove" is a claim to fame. I can't see anything different than Dicor?????

Anyone????
The difference is, as I stated earlier:
Newmar specifically states to use the Surebond sealant ans puts it in caps too for emphasis.

That pretty much says it all. If the manufacturer that assembled the unit tells you to use a specific item for a specific use I'm sure they have a very good reason. What I was told is that the Dicor is not compatible with the plastic used in the skylights.
Good enough for me!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #8

Mr_D I am not at all arguing the point that if Newmar writes a particular product to use in the manual one should heed that advice. I am all about using exactly what the manufacturer said.

That said, is YOUR 2002 roof/skylight EXACTLY the same as the OP's 2007 roof/skylight and does the OP's manual say the same as your 5 year older manual? Their manual might say something different so to use your manual recommendation for the OP's case might be a stretch.

Back to the point at hand - I am rather intrigued at what seems to be the seemingly careless application of whatever is on the OP's skylight. Can you ID from the photo if it looks like SureBond? I have not seen SureBond so can't offer an opinion. I have seen lots of Dicor slef-level and that photo does not appear to be what Dicor looks like - nor is it well applied.

BTW all my 2007 skylights are sealed with Dicor.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did look at the picture of skylight ans advised to leave alone, looks like contact cement, just apply the Dicor self leveling sealant over what is there now.
What ever it is may cause more of a problem if tried to be removed.
Dicor was what they said I needed for my skylight when I purchase at Newmar.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
From what we were told by Newmar for our 2005, the adhesive/sealant that needs to be used for the skylight is Surebond SB-140. They told me (and I have read this elsewhere online) that the plastic of the skylight is not chemically compatible with Dicor self-leveling sealants... and that by using them, I'd risk damaging my skylight.

The Surebond is harder to find to buy. And it's harder to remove from the skylight than Dicor is. But it did come off... and the new stuff sealed beautifully.

If I were you, Bryantclan... I'd double-check with Newmar before going ahead with using Dicor on the skylight. JUST to be sure!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
If you're interested, here's a link to the Technical Data Sheet from Surebond for the SB-140 "Skylight & Window Butyl Sealant":

Old 12-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting John, wonder what they are using NOW on the skylights.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #13

Thank you everyone for your help. I checked the book at is says surebond.

Looks like I have yet another tube of stuff to add to the tool box.
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantclan View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. I checked the book at is says surebond.

Looks like I have yet another tube of stuff to add to the tool box.
From our experience... in 6+ years of owning our 2005 MADP, we've only had to replace the sealant on the skylight once... and even then, it was probably optional. But, being full-time, with the coach spending winters in the harsh sun of the desert southwest, we opted to be safe.

So... depending upon your usage/storage of the coach, you shouldn't need to keep a tube of the Surebond in your toolbox. Get one and use it for the project, and you should be good to go for years of happy motoring. If you notice any issues with it later... buy another tube then.

Of course, your mileage may vary. But we don't bother stocking the Surebond for our coach and have just gotten it when we needed it.

Good luck!

Tags
roof