RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Girard awning pre-recall info

I received a phone call from newmar Thursday with specific instructions to unplug the 110v to my girard rooftop awnings while not in use.

They are aware of a grounding issue that is causing random deployments while parked. They are actively investigating and trying to determine the proper fix, but until then, if you park in a garage or near an obstruction that could cause damage on deployment, then you should unplug and contact newmar to see if your unit is in the same category.

The coaches that have had issue are 2017 and 2018, but in theory all niva awnings are wired and connected the same, so this may be a very broad issue.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

redbaron73,

Did they happen to say where the plug for the awning is located?

Have not had any problems - Except the time I sat on the remote and wondered what that sound was outside and where the big shadow was coming from.

Thanks,
Dave C.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
On my DSDP 4369, the plugs on in the bay next to the tool bay. There are two white plugs. I had my awning go out 2 times.
smoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore11 View Post
On my DSDP 4369, the plugs on in the bay next to the tool bay. There are two white plugs. I had my awning go out 2 times.
Yes, that is where mine are located.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I will ask about problem on Monday at factory when I turn in coach for warranty work.

Dave C.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDS4018 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will ask about problem on Monday at factory when I turn in coach for warranty work.

Dave C.
Please do. If there is anyone that will know the status, it is the guys in service.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #7

My coach is affected with this problem. Glad that it has been elevated to an acknowledged issue.
Mine do not extend on their own, but often retract on their own.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Can you please get more specific as to what model awning is involved? Is it the stock awning or one of the upgrades? Is it chassis specific or related to any DSDP? Is there a web site with info about this issue? I'm out of cell phone coverage at present and concerned that I may not get the word. Thanks.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Can you please get more specific as to what model awning is involved? Is it the stock awning or one of the upgrades? Is it chassis specific or related to any DSDP? Is there a web site with info about this issue? I'm out of cell phone coverage at present and concerned that I may not get the word. Thanks.

Tom
When I spoke with Spencer, he stated that they are still trying to figure things out. He had dealt with 3 issues on Thursday, one that caused major damage. They also had a few in the service department that where being looked at to try to determine the cause.

All that he could say for sure is if you have a Girard Awning with 110v power, it is best to unplug the awning to prevent them from deploying while parked. He didn't think this was an issue while driving, but could not be certain.

This may be an over abundance of caution, but is very simple to do just to be safe while this is being investigated.

Hopefully this investigation is faster than the sanicon one. I assume it will be as it is already costing Newmar a lot of money due to damage already caused by garage and storage deployments.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

i didn't get a call.....but i am willing to bet my coach is at risk for this....i get auto retractions often, and they are not wind sensor related....

but my coach is in nappanee now, for other warranty, and non warranty, work...so i am going to call my team leader on this....

thanks for the thread red baron....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #11

We have a 18 London Aire and have had no issues with Girard awnings but have had a number of Newmar owners have had. A couple owners have stated their Nova awings extend without any input. Was told by Newmar to unplug 110 volt connections in basement till they could get answers from either Girard or Newmar.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #12

Girard awning pre-recall info

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i didn't get a call.....but i am willing to bet my coach is at risk for this....i get auto retractions often, and they are not wind sensor related....

but my coach is in nappanee now, for other warranty, and non warranty, work...so i am going to call my team leader on this....

thanks for the thread red baron....

Let us know what they say. I have the same issue.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #13

We had issues with our deploying when setting the parking brake the front section would deploy. The fixed it by reversing the wires at the motor.
bmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Red Baron - Thanks to you and the other posters for this information. No issues with mine (yet?) but in the morning I'm still going to pull the plug until this issue is resolved. I hope Newmar gets the word out asap, which I assume they will.

Tom

Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, recall