Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #1

Gold Heat Floor Heating System

Hello,

We have a 2017 DutchStar 3736, with the heated floors. We have 4 sections of heated flooring. The two in the back bathroom and bedroom are not working. When we push the on button, we can hear it click, but no heat. We have found the silver box that has all the wiring and checked to see if there are any disconnected wiring, and everything appears to be tight.

When we look at the user manual We see a thermostat that has a GFI attached to it. We cannot locate the thermostats in or on our coach. We have also checked all regular GFIs and they are all working, so there is none blow, We have replaced the fuse just to make sure and we have checked the circuit breakers. So the only thing left that we can think is that it is the GFI that is actually on the thermostat, that we cannot locate.

So does anyone know where these thermostats are? Or have any ideas?

Thanks
Attached Images

tvsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A Newmar search engine result.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsolomon View Post
When we push the on button, we can hear it click, but no heat.
The relays are 12 volts. That is the click. In the NA there are 3 zones all going through one dedicated circuit breaker and a one dedicated GFI.

Does your floor heat have one or two circuit breakers? If two, then there is likely a dedicated GFI for each.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

We have 2 circuit breakers. We cannot find the GFIs for the floor heaters. According to the manual they each should have a GFI. It looks like Newmar installs a better looking way to turn them on, and may not actually use the thermostat that comes with them. However, there should still be a GFI for them, right?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 PM   #5

Thanks for this link, that is really cool....How would I be able to do that myself?
Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
We have 2 circuit breakers. We cannot find the GFIs for the floor heaters. According to the manual they each should have a GFI. It looks like Newmar installs a better looking way to turn them on, and may not actually use the thermostat that comes with them. However, there should still be a GFI for them, right?

Look above your electric panel and see if there are two GFI outlets. I was told these were for the floor heat, but have not confirmed it. We have 4054, and have 4 zones as well, but only 3 switches. The switch in the bedroom controls the bedroom and bathroom. The switch in the bathroom controls the galley, and the switch in the living room controls the living room.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its all explained here from sticky above, important stuff for Newmar owners.

Maybe you need this link also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hello,

We have a 2017 DutchStar 3736, with the heated floors. We have 4 sections of heated flooring. The two in the back bathroom and bedroom are not working. When we push the on button, we can hear it click, but no heat. We have found the silver box that has all the wiring and checked to see if there are any disconnected wiring, and everything appears to be tight.

When we look at the user manual We see a thermostat that has a GFI attached to it. We cannot locate the thermostats in or on our coach. We have also checked all regular GFIs and they are all working, so there is none blow, We have replaced the fuse just to make sure and we have checked the circuit breakers. So the only thing left that we can think is that it is the GFI that is actually on the thermostat, that we cannot locate.

So does anyone know where these thermostats are? Or have any ideas?

Thanks

In my 4369 there are 2 gfi outlets in the cabinet where the 110 breakers are located in my 1/2 bath, I believe they are related to the floors
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
Look above your electric panel and see if there are two GFI outlets. I was told these were for the floor heat, but have not confirmed it. We have 4054, and have 4 zones as well, but only 3 switches. The switch in the bedroom controls the bedroom and bathroom. The switch in the bathroom controls the galley, and the switch in the living room controls the living room.
Three switches and four zones doesn’t really jive. In my 2017 4018 there were three zones. The bathroom switch heated the bathroom. The bedroom switch heated the bedroom floor up to about the refrigerator. The living room controlled that up to the driver compartment. FYI, there are no “thermostats” for the floor heat. Low power turns the elements on for about 15 minutes, then off for a set period of time. Medium leaves the elements on longer and I believe high leaves them on for 29 minutes. I’m not exactly sure about the timing, just that it is not more power for different settings, just a longer cycle time. That’s what the relays do. If someone had a few hours to kill, you could watch the amp draw when you turn on the floor heat and watch it cycle, or ask tech support at Newmar. But that would be like asking for directions. Get the DW to call Newmar and get back to us.
Stuart, the GFIs in the half bath are for the floor heat. A blinking light indicates a bad GFI. I had to replace one.
The 3736 might have a different system.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #10

While everyone is talking about the floor heat I need to ask a question.

We have a 2018 4018 with heated floors. I need to ask if anyone has had or does have a problem with the switches controlling the wrong areas? On our coach the front switch controls the bedroom, the bedroom switch controls the back bath, and the back bath switch controls the front room. The system works great otherwise. You just need to remember to turn on the right switch for the area you want to heat.

We have several other problems and are going to make an appointment at Newmar to have them look at the system and let them figure it out. Dealer looked at it a week after we picked it up and said it would be best to take it back to factory.

Otherwise for out first DP I think it can't be beat.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstMH View Post
While everyone is talking about the floor heat I need to ask a question.

We have a 2018 4018 with heated floors. I need to ask if anyone has had or does have a problem with the switches controlling the wrong areas? On our coach the front switch controls the bedroom, the bedroom switch controls the back bath, and the back bath switch controls the front room. The system works great otherwise. You just need to remember to turn on the right switch for the area you want to heat.

We have several other problems and are going to make an appointment at Newmar to have them look at the system and let them figure it out. Dealer looked at it a week after we picked it up and said it would be best to take it back to factory.

Otherwise for out first DP I think it can't be beat.
Sure sounds like someone plugged the wires onto the wrong connector. Shouldn’t require the factory to figure it out especially on a new coach. I’d try a different dealer.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I also thought that the 2018 add one more heat pad in the slide floor of the bedroom.. and I believe that make 4 zones, so does the 2017also have 4 zones?
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
There is heat in the slide of the bedroom but it’s controlled by the same switch, so I wouldn’t call it another zone. Maybe we’re just talking semantics here. 1 switch = 1 zone
Old 01-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Three switches and four zones doesn’t really jive. In my 2017 4018 there were three zones.
Four zones and three switches on my floor plan. The zones are living, galley, main bathroom and bedroom. The main bathroom and bedroom zones are combined on one switch.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, heat, heating