Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Golf cart transport options

We are thinking of getting a golf cart as we do a lot of trips out to Fort Wilderness living in Orlando (nice short weekend staycations) and also we'd like one for our house in Michigan we go to in the summer. My question is if we still want to tow our toad (Jeep Wrangler) and bring a golf cart, does anyone have any ideas on the best setup? I think I've seen some people where their golf cart is on some type of platform or rack on the rear of coach and then they are still able to tow their toad? I know there are some golf carts specifically built to break down and store but we are looking for a normal size 4 seater since we have 3 kids as well.

Thanks for any input!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Get a Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
We are thinking of getting a golf cart as we do a lot of trips out to Fort Wilderness living in Orlando (nice short weekend staycations) and also we'd like one for our house in Michigan we go to in the summer. My question is if we still want to tow our toad (Jeep Wrangler) and bring a golf cart, does anyone have any ideas on the best setup? I think I've seen some people where their golf cart is on some type of platform or rack on the rear of coach and then they are still able to tow their toad? I know there are some golf carts specifically built to break down and store but we are looking for a normal size 4 seater since we have 3 kids as well.

Thanks for any input!
This will fit inside a small SUV like a Honda CRV and can carry four people.
Cricket Golf Cart : Sales, Service, Rentals and Consignment | LSV Carts : Orange County, CA
We had one and it worked great!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

A couple of options are to:
1) get a hydralift http://hydralift-usa.com/motorhome-lift-2/
2) get a tandem tow dolly RV Towing Accessories | RV Trailers, Tow Behind Trailers, Motorcycle Trailers and Tow Dollies for sale

I hear there is a guy in Seffner that does good hydralift installs at a reasonable price

Here's a tandem dolly on Craigslist not too far from you -- shows a golf cart and jeep
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tro...389713333.html
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
This will fit inside a small SUV like a Honda CRV and can carry four people.
Cricket Golf Cart : Sales, Service, Rentals and Consignment | LSV Carts : Orange County, CA
We had one and it worked great!
I saw these at the Tampa show last year however as noted we are a family of 5 and looking for a full size golf cart with the front and rear facing seats that we could all comfortably fit in. Thanks for the thought though!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We investigated Hydralift and a dolly that will carry the cart and car. We settled on getting a Ford F150 Super Crew and haul the golf car in the bed of the truck.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
I saw these at the Tampa show last year however as noted we are a family of 5 and looking for a full size golf cart with the front and rear facing seats that we could all comfortably fit in. Thanks for the thought though!
I saw that, but thought some of your kids may be of younger age and that might have worked. We have twins, now 17 and worked great for us!

It seems like a good option might be a full size pickup that you can load the golf cart in the bed, as has been suggested. Good luck! BTW, we live in MI as well! Are you a Ferris grad?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a hydralift...

You can tow it on a utility trailer...and leave the toad.

You can tow it on a combined golfcart-tow dolly...

You can put everything on a flatbed or in a stacker...

But I like the hydralift. Nothing to have to run to a storage location where you cannot keep an eye on it.

Of course I've heard the cricket can actually ride inside the back of some suv's...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_141841.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	185409  
Old 12-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Here's a hydralift...

You can tow it on a utility trailer...and leave the toad.

You can tow it on a combined golfcart-tow dolly...

You can put everything on a flatbed or in a stacker...

But I like the hydralift. Nothing to have to run to a storage location where you cannot keep an eye on it.

Of course I've heard the cricket can actually ride inside the back of some suv's...
Thanks, that's what I've seen before and was thinking of as I like towing my Jeep 4 down. It's either that, or the thought of trading in the Jeep for a Pickup and store in bed of truck but not sure I want to get rid of my Jeep at this point. Just curious, can you give me an idea of what type of cost is involved in getting a hydralift installed? If you want to PM that instead that's fine.

Appreciate it!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We investigated Hydralift and a dolly that will carry the cart and car. We settled on getting a Ford F150 Super Crew and haul the golf car in the bed of the truck.
+1. I got the idea watching all the Nascar crews heading west to Phoenix. We have been leaving Phoenix headed east the last 5 years the week before the November Nascar race. We see dozens of them with this configuration each year. Although last month, we did notice a lot more matching stackers being towed behind motorhomes. They may be upping their game a little.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hydralift special build HLA platform lift. Designed to accept up to 1200 lbs. We use it as shown to include towing our Jeep GC SUV.

Name:	IMG_2483.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	965.9 KB
ID:	185427
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2230.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	185423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2239.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	185424  

Name:	IMG_2250.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	185425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4048.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	185426  

NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rewillia, very nice! That must of been a pretty penny! I’m pretty sure we were parked by each other at the Newmar factory over the summer. I think we actually pulled into overflow lot at same time & you were unloading your cart that day.

Anyways thanks for the info!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I saw that, but thought some of your kids may be of younger age and that might have worked. We have twins, now 17 and worked great for us!

It seems like a good option might be a full size pickup that you can load the golf cart in the bed, as has been suggested. Good luck! BTW, we live in MI as well! Are you a Ferris grad?

Appreciate it, our kids are younger (7, 4, 7 months) so the smaller one might work for now however we are in beginning stages of adopting and at some point will then have 4 kids (more craziness)!

Regarding Ferris I’m actually a born & raised Floridian and went to Florida State University, however my wife is from Michigan so we bought a lake house up in the Thumb (Port Austin) where we spend summers once the kids are out of school in FL.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #13

Left me loft one out from left field. How about renting at 1 of the 2 locations? I'm not up to date but I'm guessing a hydraulic lift could be almost as costly as a cart? Perhaps even buying a 2nd cart and leaving it at your 2nd vaca spot?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
When we aren't flat towing the Wrangler, it's because we want to take the golf cart, which means we load the golf cart into the bed of our F150.

I've also had the Stacker in the past, but recently bought a 28' foot trailer to tow out west, as we're planning on taking both the Jeep and the golf cart.

While on the subject of golf carts, I'd highly recommend an ELECTRIC model, versus the gas. We actually stayed in several campgrounds where they frowned on the gas models.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote