RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #1

Well, I must say goodbye to Newmar.
With the dropping for the MACA I am not going
to buy another Newmar. If they want to force me into the DP market I prefer the Monaco Camelot. If you look at the Floor plans, Woodwork and paint are better then Newmar. If Newmar went to the UFO I would have purchased another. But now that I have to go DP I (IMO) think Monaco has a better mid-priced lineup. I wish that Newmar kept the MA and used the UFO. (I liked having the Top of the line gas coach)

Roadmaster Brake system
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #2

Well, I must say goodbye to Newmar.
With the dropping for the MACA I am not going
to buy another Newmar. If they want to force me into the DP market I prefer the Monaco Camelot. If you look at the Floor plans, Woodwork and paint are better then Newmar. If Newmar went to the UFO I would have purchased another. But now that I have to go DP I (IMO) think Monaco has a better mid-priced lineup. I wish that Newmar kept the MA and used the UFO. (I liked having the Top of the line gas coach)

Roadmaster Brake system
Old 05-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would have to agree with you so far its moving into a DP market you can see it on this forum the DP'S are over taking the gasers. I like my gas coach more than any other new gas coach I have seen for the past two years.
Waiting to see the gasers posted for 2008 to see if any improvement. The MAs are out of my price range.
Good luck with your Monaco they seem to be on the move up from the coachs I have seen people purchase.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 05-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Will not use this forum to brand bash, but I would sincerely recommend you use all resources available to you to properly equip you to make the decision on your purchase.
There have been many topics posted in regard to manufacturer service histories and while Monaco certainly shouldn't be singled out, they have had their share of issues...

Regrettably, I must disagree with the sentiment of some, when they say that "not using the UFO" will be the demise of Newmar.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you can see it on this forum the DP'S are over taking the gasers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an unscientific theory and certainly not the intention of anyone at iRV2...

We certainly have room for everyone, as evidenced by the addition of many more manufacturer and regional forums.

Maybe you gassers need do some recruiting!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:08 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when they say that "not using the UFO" will be the demise of Newmar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good morning BOB: While I have not read the post where you saw that opinion, I must agree with you that the lack of a UFO based coach will certainly NOT be the demise of Newmar. It may cost them some sales, and as a devotee of the UFO (because I've driven one), I do wish Newmar had offerred the GSCA on it.

Speaking of the GS, another iRV2.com member (King) went to the trouble of getting me the publication request form that Newmar issues when a publication is not yet available. He mailed it to me from Spartan after he left Newmar. I filled it out and mailed it to Newmar around April 14th, requesting the GS brouchure (which they told King would be available around early May. So far, I have not received any response from Newmar. If you have the time while you are at Camp Newmar (again), will you please ask them to respond to my request? Thanks, ED
Old 05-30-2007, 05:17 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, I must say goodbye to Newmar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! Best of luck on your search for a new motorhome. Keep us posted on how you make out. Paul
Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">requesting the GS brouchure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Ed! While you are waiting for snail mail here is the link to the GS Brochure. http://www.newmarcorp.com/bin/pdfs/m...08-Catalog.pdf Paul
Old 05-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Ed, I will certainly look into your brochure request while I am in Nappanee and I also understand your dedication and devotion to Workhorse....Congrats on your one year anniversary by the way.

Workhorse still has a presence in Nappanee, it's just not the new chassis.
Time will tell whether or not that will change, but I certainly can not assess blame or find fault in a manufacturer's decision to do one thing or another. Newmar and Workhorse are currently working together very nicely, just not to the pleasure of some.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #10

Paul

Thanks for posting a link to the Grand Star brochure. Unfortunately, I'm even more disappointed than I thought I would be. As I've said many times before, I'm a strong supporter of a high line / luxury gasser - such as the Mountain Aire was. I'm also a known supporter of the UFO chassis. Looking at the pictures in the Grand Star brochure makes it look like a $60,000 entry level class A. The woodwork and the furniture materials look exceedingly cheap. I also understand the Fred chassis under this commands a price that is virtually the same as a 2007 gas Mountain Aire.
All I can say is I'm very glad I have my Mountain Aire and when the time comes that I have to make a change, I hope Newmar will have seen the errors in their strategy and no longer be influenced by the ex-Fleetwood people. Otherwise, I think Tiffin will be the way to go.

Jack

Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #11

Hi! You are welcome. When we were at the factory we saw a few GS coming down the line. I thought they looked great on the outside. We did not go in any. You could be correct about the interior. I will take a look when we go back to Camp Newmar next week. Paul
Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">here is the link to the GS Brochure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
THANK YOU, Paul! That is exactly what I wanted. I've been all over the Newmar website in recent days and found most of the links in the lower priced products to be "under construction". Somehow I did not find the page you linked, and I really appreciate your directing me there. ED
Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Having been another one that went through the VERY FIRST Grand Star that hit the production line, I certainly wouldn't have characterized it as cheap, but you're certainly welcome to your opinion...

I'd also like to offer my opinion that if you're basing your "ex Fleetwood" remark solely on Dick Parks and his existence at Newmar, I can personally and wholeheartedly express the FACT that he is NOT making the decisions.
While he may in fact have been one leading the charge to reduce the warranty period, I sat in a coach with him in Tampa when a decision needed to be made, and HE didn't make it...

Let's not let this get out of hand....Newmar is FAMILY owned and as such the FAMILY makes the decision, based on the input they receive from their team of folks....
Old 05-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #14

Bob
I don't want to open up this whole topic again after it was pretty much hashed to death a few months back. My feelings about Fleetwood are based on a discussion I personally had with John Sumack (sp?) at one of the shows he was at. He was BOASTING that as VP of marketing he had made the decision to drop the gas Mountain Aire and Kountry Star. In a later discussion with one of his regional sales people, I was told that John was responsible for the Grand Star and the decision to use the Fred and not the UFO. In regards to Dick Parks, I was not incluing him in my previous post. Although I do find it interesting that he is no longer in the position he was originally hired into. I believe he was replaced by one of the Millers.
Let me leave this with just saying that I have spent over 30 years in marketing and strategy planning (quite successfully I might add) and I feel Newmar is not feeling the pulse of the markplace. Hopefully the Millers will figure this out sooner rather than later.
Bob, I think this is one of those situations where we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Jack

Closed Thread