Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my 2001 in 2011 it had the original good years on it with no sidewall cracks.
I replaced them with Michelin xze load range h from on Costco at $353 per tire. Goodyears were $500. They ride the same but there is less side to side movement.
One thing to think about is that a stronger tire may call for more air pressure, in my case the tire calls for #120 for sidewall rating and my rims max pressure is #115.
I run #110 and the ride is great with almost no movement when a big truck goes by.

2001 Winnebago adventurer 37g
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your having that many blow outs your inflations are to high you need to get coach weight and use the inflation tables for tire size on both Michelin or Goodyear.
I have had both and never a blow out in 27 years of travels and my tires are on coach for more than 10 years.
I want my money's worth out of them their to expensive.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Will Costco install and spin balance the 22.5 Michelin's. Thanks
No, you purchase the tire there and take it to a truck center. I bought my last set 10 months ago in Oregon (no sales tax) had them installed for free (gave them my good condition but out of date old tires). Cost was less than $2400 which included a steak dinner and a few beers for the guy who helped me haul them with his truck.

Costco however does not have universal pricing on tires so what I do is start shopping 6 months out and compare prices in the states I will be in, factoring in individual state sales tax.

Good luck.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If your having that many blow outs your inflations are to high you need to get coach weight and use the inflation tables for tire size on both Michelin or Goodyear.
I have had both and never a blow out in 27 years of travels and my tires are on coach for more than 10 years.
X2, I always thought that inflation had to play a major role in blowouts. Temperature affects pressure... I used to check my tires every morning that I traveled, stopped doing it (got lazy as they're always OK) and then one morning one tire on drive axle was at 30 psi... I'm back into my routine!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Goodyear? I don't think I will ever install another Goodyear on my RV or car.

Had Bridgestone steer tires put on at Speedco and I am more than happy with the replacement.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Did any of determine the cause of all your blowouts?
The tire was ejected off the wheel at highway speeds on I-40 and being dark, it was impossible to retrieve the carcass and determine the reason for the failure. I just couldn't find it.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Michelin's on my RV starting showing cracks at about 3 years old. I replaced them at 6 years and was going to go with the Michelin's but I chose Toyo and saved $1300. Bought them at Les Schwab and their (Les Schwabs not Toyos) guarantee can not be beat.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #22

go with the FMCA Michelin tire program. I had Goodyear for two other coaches and thought I like them. They ride like bricks compared to the Michelin.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #23

Tire Blow out

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
007 I had a blow out yesterday on a Michelin. The tire service looked at the tire and could not say why the tire blew (it was a side wall failure). It was a front drivers side tire. I had the tires inflated at 105 lbs which looking at Michelins chart appears to be the pressure I should be running. I have not had the coach weighed since I purchased so I have been using the weight posted on the coach behind drivers seat. The chart shows the axle weight to be 14200lbs. The tires are XRV 305/70 R22.5's. They are 2 1/2 years old and have approximately 20,000 miles on them.

I'm new to RV'ing so I'm posting to gain the collective knowledge of the group. If I'm doing something wrong I would like to correct to keep from repeating. Luckily I had purchased a tire warranty so I think I will be covered on the cost side. I know that I need to weigh the unit and will do so at the first opportunity.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM   #24

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
go with the FMCA Michelin tire program. I had Goodyear for two other coaches and thought I like them. They ride like bricks compared to the Michelin.
pcurt23..
Maybe.. But at least the sidewalls don't weather check in 3 years!!!
Mine are about 5 years old and have been getting worse for the last 3! Make me nervous may see if I can swing new ones when I get home from Arizona.. No Michelins ever again.. They say "cosmetic"!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #25

Michelins versus Goodyears

When I bought my coach used, I wanted to replace all the tires. I consulted with a friend who had just sold all FIVE of his Goodyear stores. His advice, based upon years of selling various brands and monitoring tire failures was " I would not consider any tire except Michelin for a coach. Michelin simply makes a stronger, safer tire and I saw much fewer tire failures". We travel backroads in the mountains a lot. I want to decrease as much as possible the chance of tire failure on one of those narrow curving roads. To me, the extra confidence I get with Michelins, whether real or imagined, is worth the extra money. I put my second set of Michelins on in early 2014. I have never had a problem with Michelins.
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #26

If you google Michelin RV Tires you will see a link to the RV tire guide published by Michelin. There is much written on the subject out there. In short the guide states that any tire older than 5 years (usually five years from date of manufacture) needs to be inspected periodically by and expert to determine if it is suitable for continued service. The guide also states any tire needs to be replaced when it is ten years old, regardless of condition.

The guide also states inflate according to the charts by the actual weight on the corner(inflating all tires on the axle to the heaviest weighed corner).

Using the axle rating on the frame data on the coach wall will probably result in incorrect inflation (unless your coach is loaded to the max axle weight).

I had an all corner weight done on my Ventana and find that my coach is at about 75% of the max recommended load for each axle. I inflate slightly higher than the chart to allow for colder days. Max pressure for my tires is 120 psi and I run the rear at 87 and the fronts at 102. I use a Truck system Technology Tire Pressure Monitor system to check pressure before I move the coach (and keep tabs on it while underway).
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #27

Patch-y, thank you so much for your reply. Can truck stops like Flying J provide corner weight service? I think for now I will reduce inflation to 100 until I can get it weighed. The tires are rated for 120LBS max. I had them inflated cold at 105 lbs. I wonder if as heat is built up while driving and therefore pressure, could it have exceeded 120 lbs?
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgh52 View Post
Patch-y, thank you so much for your reply. Can truck stops like Flying J provide corner weight service? I think for now I will reduce inflation to 100 until I can get it weighed. The tires are rated for 120LBS max. I had them inflated cold at 105 lbs. I wonder if as heat is built up while driving and therefore pressure, could it have exceeded 120 lbs?
Pressures are established to allow for heat build up.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote