Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #1

GPS

I have a 2014vantana and the built in gps doesn't have a lot of the roads I looked for in it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Kegrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2 Kegrv.
Not many answers for you no one having a problem maybe.
Has the GPS been up dated from their web site and is it being receptive to the satellite?
I do not have many links for GPS problems in the QT's files 1 & 2 & 3 down below in my signature maybe we need some.
Here is a thread where someone had a problem and they were told to update the GPS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Knowing the brand of GPS would help, so others could make comparisons. I think you'll find all units will lack data in some areas....depends on whose mapping system is being used. So....are you referring to MAJOR roads, county roads, someone's driveway? Sometimes you may spell the road one way and the unit has it another way, so doesn't see it. Don't think any of 'em has it all. That's why I use TWO GPS' when traveling.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

It seems some GPS systems experience location request input data issues. My Escalade always had an issue with one particular location address. It would usually, not all the time, claim "No Such Address Found", yet once I arrived there it had no problem showing the street I had requested.

I guess it was just one of those "You can't get there from here" things.

I would contact the GPS manufacturer and ask them for help. There may be an update, or more possible, a program adjustment that may be missing. Good luck.

Peter
Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

I have had In Dash GPS on my last three vehicles. The first by choice, the last two because it was there when I bought the vehicle.
Not one of the three worked very well when compared to a Stand Alone such as the Magellan 9165T LM I have in the MH now. Not sure why this is but given a choice, I would go for the Stand Alone every time.
Then you have the option to toss it in the can when it becomes obsolete.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #6

We took the advice of some of the forum members on here and purchased a stand alone Garmin DEZL GPS. Just returned from 3k mile trip and the 2 unit set-up worked well.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #7

I have been told by a couple of friends that the new Rand McNally from Camping World is a good unit and at a decent price. It also connects to Good Sam Trip Planner which is a bonus.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
We have the built-in Rand Mc in our '14 model and I must say I like it better than any other dash model I've had. But the Garmin handheld is still the best as far as making fast entries while underway. And yes....you can upgrade it at will! That's why I use two of 'em.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps