Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Grand Star 3752 FRED-Comments?

Hi everyone. Currently we have a Winnebago 30' Sightseer, but we'd REALLY like to get into a quality rig like Newmar for our after-retirement rig to take off for months at at time. We are about a year and a half from retirement and would like to get into our post-retirement rig sooner than later if the right one comes along. We've found a 2009 Newmar Grand Star 38' 3752 FRED that (to us) has the PERFECT interior layout, it's real clean, has all the features we've wanted and more, like the Hydronic heat and exhaust brakes. We obviously want to move away from the gas unit and get into a diesel to be out for months at a time and be in mountain passes more often than we are here in Texas. We probably will be in the lower 48 and if we go back to Alaska, will likely fly/rent like we did once and keep our own motorhome in the lower 48 and Southern Canada.

So, what are people's thoughts about a FRED for a motorhome that we will be in for 3-6 months at at time?

I would have liked a pusher but I hear the Fred gets better gas mileage, it has the side door where we like it, and it still has exhaust brake and diesel torque. But is a FRED something to avoid and just wait for a clean pusher (I havent seen any pushers in this price range that are this clean and this new)

Any comments appreciated!!
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum Curt.
Here is a thread with comments and links to the coach your interested in.
If you go to the search engine at this forum first page you will find more threads on the FRED, just enter grand star Fred.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MoonchaserTX,
Welcome to the Newmar Owners Forum. The FRED chassis does get excellent fuel mileage. There is a fellow in my camping club that owns a Grand Star and reports 10-12 MPG. He splits his time 1/2 in Florida and 1/2 in Maine. The only repetitive problem I know of is with the jacks. I think they are Power Gear. The jacks tend to loose their "brain" and will not retract. The fellow I just mentioned had them taken out and replaced with HWH jacks. Nobody was able to fix the problem. It had something to do with where the electrical components were installed on the chassis. They tended to collect moisture and not work until dried out. Other than that, the Grand Star is a fine coach.

Go to http://www.newmarcorp.com/uploads/br...20Brochure.pdf to get the 2009 Grand Star brochure.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

Moonchaser:
I sent you a PM, in reply to your direct question. I didn't think of the Power Gear jacks at the time. I did have an issue is spring 2011 and ended up breaking a shear pin. There is an extremely long thread in the Fleetwood forum about the levelers that you should find and read. In my case the real issue was a seized brake in the right front jack. My issue was resolved in July 2011 and I have had no further issues with them.

Don
don8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #5

We test drove a Grand Star "Fred" a couple of years ago. It sure was nice. Almost bought it, but didn't. Just as well, for now we were able to get a Dutch Star for full timing.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote