Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

Grandfather clock in 2008 Kountry Aire FW

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	228438I have the "grandfather clock" in our 2008 Kountry Aire fifth wheel. The center panel contains leaded glass in a oak frame. The back surface of the glass is covered in dust and drives me crazy. I want to clean the back side of the glass but darned if I can find a way to remove the frame and glass. Not sure if it is screwed on from behind or glued on. Can anyone who has taken one of these apart enlighten me as to the procedure. Other than an axe of chainsaw of course. ;-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Interesting and nice clock wouldn't want to damage as you say.
Newmar likes to use Velcro tape maybe behind the glass frame of window frame, would think that's what they did to maybe adjust the pendulum if it fell in chamber.
Using a flat knife see if you can squeeze between wood frame and box of clock and gently pry off, or maybe a call to Newmar service may have a answer for you. its been a while since they produced 5th wheels so be patient with them.
Maybe some one in this group might help you, we will see.
Looking again at pictures in Brochure there maybe the metal clips that pop into one another at top and bottom of that frame use a face cloth under knife so you do not crack the wood surface, you have a nice looking 5th.

Brochure - --Owners Guide --- Link for Newmar Owners may have TSB's of interest to you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My guess would be that it has clips like the type that keep cabinets locked while traveling. I would gently pry on the face of the frame see if it pops off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My guess would be that it has clips like the type that keep cabinets locked while traveling. I would gently pry on the face of the frame see if it pops off.
No joy. Tried prying using a thin flat blade but it won't budge. I suspect it may be screwed on from behind. I would take the whole thing off the wall but have no idea what is holding it to the wall. I probaby will end up having to contact Newmar. I suspect the screws are behind some of the trim. :-(
Old 12-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well.....if you get it apart, you can add some catches and make it removable.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Well.....if you get it apart, you can add some catches and make it removable.
You bet!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:28 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by balvert View Post
I probably will end up having to contact Newmar. . :-(
This what I was going to suggest then I read this........

Good luck and please keep us informed........

Grand father clock.......whodathunk!!! LOL

g
Old 12-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post

g
Nothing from Newmar. So I looked at it and asked myself how I would put this together? Since it is basically cabinetry I figured it was all one piece. So how would I attach it to the wall? By pushing on the wall panels I found that the entire thing appeared to be attached to the wall at the clock and at the key cabinet at the bottom. There are four spindle like pieces. One on each side of the clock and one on each side of the key cabinet. I took a thin butter knife and inserted it behind one of the spindles. It felt like soft glue and I was able to run the knife up and down the entire length of the spindle. It fell away revealing two wood screws. The glue holding the spindle to the cabinet was silicone. I removed all four spindles and found the entire thing was held to the wall with 8 wood screws. The four at the bottom were longer. Anyway I was able to remove the back panel with the mirror and get everything cleaned up inside. I then scraped off the old silicone, reattached the clock to the wall and put the spindles back on with GE marine silicone. Sorry about the poor photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEDE0027-03FD-41E5-A8BE-801D310B5773.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	229649   Click image for larger version

Name:	1842B1CC-E725-4BAE-83DD-A8EAB73408C6.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	229650  

Old 12-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balvert View Post
Nothing from Newmar. So I looked at it and asked myself how I would put this together? Since it is basically cabinetry I figured it was all one piece. So how would I attach it to the wall? By pushing on the wall panels I found that the entire thing appeared to be attached to the wall at the clock and at the key cabinet at the bottom. There are four spindle like pieces. One on each side of the clock and one on each side of the key cabinet. I took a thin butter knife and inserted it behind one of the spindles. It felt like soft glue and I was able to run the knife up and down the entire length of the spindle. It fell away revealing two wood screws. The glue holding the spindle to the cabinet was silicone. I removed all four spindles and found the entire thing was held to the wall with 8 wood screws. The four at the bottom were longer. Anyway I was able to remove the back panel with the mirror and get everything cleaned up inside. I then scraped off the old silicone, reattached the clock to the wall and put the spindles back on with GE marine silicone. Sorry about the poor photos.
Nice bit of sleuthing; well done. Reverse engineering...and some practical experience...triumph again. And, I'm sure someone else will benefit from your good work.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you got it figured out. Now your OCD regarding the dust can take a break!
Old 12-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Balvert - Merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎄🎄

g
Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Glad you got it figured out. Now your OCD regarding the dust can take a break!
Us OCD folks never get a break.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post

g
First "Grandfather" clock that I have seen that runs on one AA battery.

Tags
air