Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judatt View Post
...We had pretty much settled on a new 2016 Ventana LE 4044. That is the unit our dealership has. We have also been looking online at a used 2008 MountainAire 4523 with 39,000 miles. We have corresponded with the owner a few times by email.

...On the other hand the Mountain Aire has EVERYTHING and is 45' and a tag axle which should help with the ride and driving but no Comfort Drive.
Whoa, whoa.... WHOA! Mountain Aire's began having Comfort Drive in 2007 and the 2008 definitely has Comfort Drive:
http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content...P-Brochure.pdf

If the owner said it didn't have it, it must not be a 2008.

in addition and what you need to look into is; What some of us believe is that not having the DEF system is a great advantage, and I don't think that was required in 2008 (check), but is required on the more recent engines.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
...in addition and what you need to look into is; What some of us believe is that not having the DEF system is a great advantage, and I don't think that was required in 2008 (check), but is required on the more recent engines.
DEF is required on any chassis built in 2010 or later. It is no where near the hassle some (typically those that don't have it) have made it out to be. I certainly would not let the presence or absence of it sway my decision.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
DEF is required on any chassis built in 2010 or later. It is no where near the hassle some (typically those that don't have it) have made it out to be. I certainly would not let the presence or absence of it sway my decision.
It's just another cost that one has to add to the fuel bill, and just something else to add during fueling/maintenance, and doesn't do anything for the owner...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

X2 would never let it make or break my decision
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Okay, I guess I'll weigh in also.
2016 Ventana or 2008 Mountainaire. That is a lot of difference in age/technology. I am sure either would be excellent Ventana for the newer technology, Mountainaire for the upscale features.

What about splitting the difference and looking at DutchStar. You can probably get 2013 to 2014 in the price range you are talking about. It will offer newer technology like the Ventana and a higher level of features.

The best advice... widen your search criteria, then narrow down your floorplan and feature requirements and you'll be able to make a much better decision. There are enough Newmars on RVTrader that you should have about a dozen that meet your needs. Then you can pin it down from there.

Good Luck and enjoy the search...
Looking is Free, it's the buying that gets expensive.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
judatt, we recently purchased a 07 MA 4528. It definitely has non-adjustable CD. I'm not sure whether the 08 is adjustable. As mentioned, you would be getting the Cummins ISM, Allison 4000, and the K2 chassis. Those were huge selling points for us. You would also be getting a bigger generator, Hydro Hot, 15K towing capability, and a lot more.

Hire an independent inspector and have them do an oil analysis before the oil is changed, on the Cummins, Allison, and Onan. They are not conclusive but will tell you if there are any ongoing issues. If the oil was already changed, then it is less reliable. There is a PDI checklist on this website. A 1 year warranty would be a bonus. Also, tires should be replaced at that age if not already done. A maintenence record would be golden.

We couldn't be more pleased and we know we got a lot more RV than we could ever have purchased new. The only caveat is the electronics, TV's, satellite, cables, etc. We will be working through them over the next couple years. We negotiated the installation of a residential fridge, all new tires (Michellins), and replacement of fogged dual pane windows.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, newbie