Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Gremlin in the slide outs

As we were sitting watching TV our slides announced "Slide locks are unlocking please move ..." and suddenly the slides start to come in! We stopped them right away but it was a little unsettling. Anyone have this happen to them? We have had a lot of rain where we are and I think it could be a short. Glad we were there not out running around when it happened!
Wimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RF frequency's can cause your slides to operate plus with all the rain and slides 12v lock systems outside it maybe possible for the contacts on Activator cylinder to short wiring contacts on Activator.
The seals on opening have been changed by Newmar for tighter closure to help keep water out.
Everything for lock may need to be cleaned with a contact cleaner or Activator may need replacement.
Here is another link for possible slide problems and all slide information can be forund in QT's 1 & 2.
Another link for Newmar owners.
All links below in my signature have answers for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the main salon slide come in on its own in my 2 slide coach several times. I finally determined that it is the new LED lights I put in the bathroom. It only happens when they are on. Apparently an RF frequency issue. I got them from M4 LEDs. My solution for now is to pull the slide fuse after the slide is out.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you for your replies - several things to add to the list for our mobile RV tech. we have had issues with damp/water in the fuse area and I am hoping that re-weather stripping it will help.
Wimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
As we were sitting watching TV our slides announced "Slide locks are unlocking please move ..." and suddenly the slides start to come in! We stopped them right away but it was a little unsettling. Anyone have this happen to them? We have had a lot of rain where we are and I think it could be a short. Glad we were there not out running around when it happened!
Did the slide quit working all together? At PDI, Went to pick up my New Aire and the slide moved fully in during dinner by itself and quit. No movement or motor sounds. Hope to find out root cause tomorrow. Did have a lot of rain lately.
Rdhplano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:21 AM   #6

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdhplano View Post
Did the slide quit working all together? At PDI, Went to pick up my New Aire and the slide moved fully in during dinner by itself and quit. No movement or motor sounds. Hope to find out root cause tomorrow. Did have a lot of rain lately.

Did you ever find out what caused the slide to come in. We have our 2018 DSDP parked in our driveway and sometime durning the night the passenger side bedroom slide came in on its own.

Marc
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #7

We have a 2018 DS 4018 and our bedroom slide came in own it’s own at 2:30 in the morning with us in bed. My wife thought we were leaving with her in bed.
Billwainscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

We have a 2018 DSDP that we just picked up, it is parked in our driveway last night the bedroom slide closed on its own. We extended it and it was fine all day. Sometime in the past few hours, it closed again on its own, I went out and opened it again as I was leaving it closed again, I opened it and a minute later it started to close, it got half way and stop a few minutes later it finished closing up again.

Anyone else having this issues? What could be causing it? I am plugged into 50amp power. Besides pulling a fuse is there a way to keep it from coming in on its own?

I would hate to think what might happen if I had a dog crate in front of the bed or one of our cats got stuck someplace.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 AM   #9

They gave us a new slide controller, It hasn’t done it since. You can unplug the controller to keep it out its in the center bay
Billwainscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwainscot View Post
They gave us a new slide controller, It hasn’t done it since. You can unplug the controller to keep it out its in the center bay

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #11

Well, that's just scary, considering I leave dogs in when I'm not there.

Is this unique to the press and forget which I think DS and higher have? I believe the Ventana's have one where you have to press and hold until the slide is closed and then release the switch. Correct?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The condition can happen with any coach made by Newmar old or new.
The mention of removing 12v fuse for slide on fuse panel a good safety measure.
Never had problem on my 2003 could be the type controllers being produced for later coach's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Well, that's just scary, considering I leave dogs in when I'm not there.

Is this unique to the press and forget which I think DS and higher have? I believe the Ventana's have one where you have to press and hold until the slide is closed and then release the switch. Correct?

Yes you are correct, must hold the button down for it to open or close if you let off it stops. When it was closing I thought about hitting the buttons but wasn’t sure if that mess something up
Old 06-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Yes you are correct, must hold the button down for it to open or close if you let off it stops. When it was closing I thought about hitting the buttons but wasn’t sure if that mess something up
Ok, so even your Dutch Star has the Ventana type where you normally have to hold the button until the slide is fully opened or closed? I thought it might have one of the one where you just press it once and it auto opens or closes.

Scary stuff.

I sure hope they have the safeties in place to make sure it doesn't happen going down the road.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out