Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
gunk in radiator

Just took our 1999 dutch star DP out of storage. First time started in about 5 months. I checked the antifreeze, and noticed a thick brown gunking stuff around the radiator cap and in the bottom of the plastic overflow tank. Now when I took it in, in the fall to get it serviced they said the antifreeze was fine. Should I be concerned or is it just from sitting so long? Thanks in advance for your halp Ron
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Sounds like you are due for a flush and install new anti freeze. But, be fore you go that route, I would take it out for a good drive fore a couple hours and see what develops from that. Usually stuff like that is a result of oil or combustion getting into the cooling system.
A pressure test of the cooling system would be a good idea to see if there are any leaks.
Could also be sludge from years of work and just needs to be cleaned and replaced, but, ya never know.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #3

I agree with dennis45. Flush and fill. Then once a year put coolant additives in. Over time your lube for the water pump and anticorrosion additives are lost. The brown is possibly cylinder liner corrosion ( for certain engines)
hoss1045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I decided to go ahead and have it flushed out. It has 140,000 miles And no record its ever been done. Thanks for the help
Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
I decided to go ahead and have it flushed out. It has 140,000 miles And no record its ever been done. Thanks for the help

Good plan, with that mileage I'm guessing its due. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
DJJ

Look at the new coolants. Peak Final Charge is one (meets Cat standards) good for 1 million miles and no test strips or additives to deal with.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Will do DJJ thanks alot

Tags
radiator