Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Half-Bath Toilet Odor

2014 4018 DSDP with the Dometic 8700 macerator toilet. Over the past couple of trips, we are experiencing a black tank odor coming from the 1/2 bath. It's not the sink and sure it is coming from the clean toilet. Seems like there is some sort of air leak but can't seem to figure out the origin. There is no odor coming from the full bath toilet in the rear of the coach. Have any of you experienced similar problem or have any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Just a test you might want to try; grab the toilet and push from side to side. If there is any play you may not be tightened down properly. I am assuming there is water in the toilet?
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Check the anti-siphon under the sink. It is part of the black tank flush out system.
Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Having the same problem on my half bath. I changed the sink air admittance valve but that did not help.

John
2015 Newmar Mountain Aire 4503
2013 Jeep Wrangler Moab Edition
Josh2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #5

I swore that my toilet had a problem too. Then I noticed that smell from the toilet was scented. The odor was coming from the sink and shower.

There are a couple of products that can help. https://youtu.be/3xX60cCHwlM and https://youtu.be/t55hL431ejc. I plan on installing both.

BrokeDown
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Little chance that toilet is going to smell. There is a built-in P-trap on the discharge line. And...any looseness in the base will have nothing to do with this.
You might want to remove that toilet and check the worm clamps for tightness...just a long shot.

But I'd look at grey water as the source for this smell.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

It's amazing how much gray can smell like black.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #8

Slabman, agree but just can't figure out where it would be coming from if the gray tank. Toilet is pretty much sealed up. I checked the cabinet under sink and no smell and nothing around the sink. I would think that would eliminate the possibility of the anti-siphon malfunctioning. I might try the 360 vent as BrokeDown has suggested. I have had issues on another coach and can understand that it could be the gray tank (both smell really bad).
I may also pull the peg board and see if something has happened to the vent pipe. Any other thoughts.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_L View Post
2014 4018 DSDP with the Dometic 8700 macerator toilet. Over the past couple of trips, we are experiencing a black tank odor coming from the 1/2 bath. It's not the sink and sure it is coming from the clean toilet. Seems like there is some sort of air leak but can't seem to figure out the origin. There is no odor coming from the full bath toilet in the rear of the coach. Have any of you experienced similar problem or have any thoughts?
Jim,

Sorry I'm late to this discussion.

I just went through that same problem and Newmar is going to have a look at it on the week of the 15th of May.

If you take off your peg board cover you will notice that it has a stain and when you finely get it off you will see that the Black tank over flowed onto the top of your fresh water tank. There was about 1/2 to 3/4 gal of fluid on the top in the shallow dip of the fresh water tank. Normally when one over fills the Black tank it goes out the roof vent but there must be a leak some where that is not letting that happen. I wet vac the fluid and wiped everything down with bleach and the smell went away.

I can not understand how the tank got so full all of a sudden. My wife was away on a business trip and it was just me and the dog. On the high fill mode with the two of us it takes about three days to get the red light so I empty on that schedule before the red light comes on. But with her being gone and the dog not that well trained I was just into the third day when this occurred. The only other thing that had happened which was different was we had a one hour frog strangler rain storm over night. I'm talking 3 to 4" of water which was a lot even for FL. I didn't go up on the roof to see how the vent is mounted but that would be a long shot. And even if the water did get in that way it should not leak and the red light system on the toilets is not working.

Your toilets should not let you over fill as the red light should come on and alert you that the tank is almost full. When the red light comes on neither toilet will flush thus adverting the problem. Mine has quit doing that as well. I have checked what I could but have not found the defect in the system and I'm not going to fill the black tank to find the leak that is Newmar's problem.

My thought is they will empty the tank. Flush it out well and then fill it with clean water to find the leak. I have left the peg board off so they don't even have to remove it to see the problem when it happens. I want to watch them test it.

Let me know what you find and I'll let you know the fix they come up with.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #10

We have had the same issue since our coach was new. We experience a strong tank odour if there is any liquid in the tank and a negative air pressure in the coach while going down the road. The smell is worse if we open a ceiling vent while traveling. Also very strong odour inside the coach whenever we dump our tanks. We feel the smell is from the grey tank.

A dealer we had warranty work done at while on the road investigated and could not answer why, nor could he advise why we see the grey tank discharge fluid stop flowing (viewing through a clear elbow) due to a vapour lock for a minute or two while we are dumping it, then as the vacuum in the tank breaks, grey tank fluid suddenly flows freely out through the dump valve again. Multiple requests for advice from the factory only produce a suggestion to "check the air check vent valve in the cabinet under the mid bath sink". No advice on what to check, or what to replace if it is faulty. Multiple email requests to our selling dealers assistant service manager for a part number and replacement air check valve price continue to be unanswered.

We do not know if it is "us" and something we are not operating correctly, or if it is a problem with a device or a design error like the factory not running a vent line from the tank up to a roof top discharge. Any advice as to a potential cure will be greatfully received.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Possible solution that worked for me

This product link below was designed to resolve this issue. I installed two under an hour, no more smells. I also have two macerator toilets. Do not forget to order self-leveling lap sealant if you agree to the fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compon...rv+siphon+vent
Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder4 View Post
This product link below was designed to resolve this issue. I installed two under an hour, no more smells. I also have two macerator toilets. Do not forget to order self-leveling lap sealant if you agree to the fix.

Amazon.com: Lippert Components 364466 360 Siphon White Roof Vent: Automotive
These will not resolve the Black water on the top of my fresh water tank. That was where the smell was coming from there is no doubt.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A lot has been covered, one thing that happen to me was the pipe to black tank was never glued into the floor flange and the pipe dropped out of flange so when ever you flushed the toilet all contents in bowl dropped on top of black tank instead of into it.
Took a day of travel to realize there was a problem.
You may not have this problem just wanted to add as possibility.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
These will not resolve the Black water on the top of my fresh water tank. That was where the smell was coming from there is no doubt.
What did you do to resolve problem?

Tags
odor, toilet