Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #1

Half Tank of Diesel Sitting for 6 Weeks

I just arrived back from a trip with about 1/2 a tank of diesel left over. I am not leaving again for another trip for roughly 6 weeks. Is there anything that I need to do with respect to the fuel in the tank? How often should I start up the coach over that time? Should I drive it around a little or is starting it up enough?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #2

If you aren't going to be able to get the coach on the road and fully warm up the engine, better to just let it sit. Starting up the engine and not driving is worse than doing nothing.

My coach sits from the first of November to March every year, no starting, with no problems.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

So if I am going to pull it out to wash it, I should drive it for awhile as opposed to just pulling it out washing it and putting it back?
Old 11-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #4

If you are going to start a diesel up, best to drive it long enough to get it fully warmed up before shutting it down, otherwise you will have water condensation formed that will stay in the crankcase and combustion chambers for weeks or months, not good for any engine. Best to store it with a full tank to lessen the possibility of moisture forming in the tank. 6 weeks isn't a very long time and fuel shouldn't deteriorate in that short amount of time, besides, diesel fuel won't be any cheaper in 6 weeks. If you're really concerned, put some good diesel fuel stabilizer in the tank...... I would also keep the batteries on a float charger if at all possible.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #5

The coach is plugged in when in storage so the the float charger is on.

Is there a recommended amount of drive time to ensure the engine heats up sufficiently?
Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #6

I assume you are using a fuel additive as Cummins now recommends. If so you can just leave the engine alone. Personally I use this, but others have other preferences.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaminw675 View Post
The coach is plugged in when in storage so the the float charger is on.

Is there a recommended amount of drive time to ensure the engine heats up sufficiently?
Long enough to come to normal operating temp.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

Mountain out of a Molehill

Six weeks isn't near enough time for diesel fuel deterioration. Chances are a year won't hurt a thing, and I've seen diesel with additive go three to five and still be fine.

What Richard says is basically true, but is usually applied to motors that rarely run, standby generators and the like. In your coach if you drive it a long enough distance to bring it to operating temp every say, two or three times you drive it within a six week (or even six month) interval in between full warmups, I think you are plenty safe.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - In the humidity of Florida the best thing you could do would be to fill the fuel tank. You don't want to have condensation from warm humid days and cooler nights in a half full tank. Beyond that, let it sit unless you want to go for a ride and then give it enough time to fully warm up, like 1/2 hour at speed.

Tom
Old 11-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #10

Six weeks? I wouldn't do anything. Now if it is going to sit for 3 or 4 months in Florida then I would make sure the tank is topped off and at some point about half way I would take it for a 20 minute spin at highway speeds.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #11

I would recommend adding biobor jf to your fuel at every fill up. If you don't already use it, do a double treatment the first time and then single treatment (1 oz per 80 gals) from there on. Other than that, you should be fine. I sit around half full between trips here in FL all the time.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tank