Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVgeeks View Post

No problem, Steve. The race will be on to see who completes the project first! You're in the lead, though, because you've already got the dimmers... I haven't ordered mine (yet).

First one done... report back!
Rvgeeks, this is the dimmer I ordered some time ago. Not quite as finished as the ones that you posted but hiding in the fuses cabinet it should work ok.
I will indeed key you know how it works out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #16

Thanks for the help I'll be ordering now
Beacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #17

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Rvgeeks, this is the dimmer I ordered some time ago. Not quite as finished as the ones that you posted but hiding in the fuses cabinet it should work ok.
I will indeed key you know how it works out.
PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8 Amp, Adjustable Brightness Light Switch Dimmer Controller DC12V 8A 96W for Led Strip Light By Zitrades - Amazon.com
Thanks for the link, Steve. It may not be as "finished" as the ones I was looking at... but it's got the same amperage rating, costs about 50% less, and clearly identifies itself as a dimmer. Which could be a plus for a new owner if we ever sold this coach! LOL!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #18

RVgeeks....I have an 07 MA and would like to do the same. Just to be clear, are you considering converting the 6 volt circuit to a 12 volt circuit, then install the dimmer so the "Low" switch in your coach will switch to the "dimmed" 12 volt circuit?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABergo View Post
RVgeeks....I have an 07 MA and would like to do the same. Just to be clear, are you considering converting the 6 volt circuit to a 12 volt circuit, then install the dimmer so the "Low" switch in your coach will switch to the "dimmed" 12 volt circuit?
What?

Call me ignorant but I am not aware of the use of 6V circuits. I might need to be educated on that one in case my 06 DSDP has that as a surprise.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #20

Hello Don,
My 07 MA has hi-low switching for the puck lights in the ceiling. The hi setting, rocker switch up, is 12 volt and bright lights. The low setting, rocker switch down is 6 volts to the lamps and a low intensity. Also, you will see a 6 volt circuit off the house batteries that I assume feed this. Hope that helps.....
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hello Don,
My 07 MA has hi-low switching for the puck lights in the ceiling. The hi setting, rocker switch up, is 12 volt and bright lights. The low setting, rocker switch down is 6 volts to the lamps and a low intensity. Also, you will see a 6 volt circuit off the house batteries that I assume feed this. Hope that helps.....
Thanks Larry... I don't have any switches like that so I don't think I have any more studying to do. LOL But I am now better educated!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #22

Commercial Member

Quote:
Larry,

Exactly! I was planning to start by doing just one of the bank of puck lights based on a single fuse in that 6V block (remove the output lead and attach it to the output from the dimmer through an inline fuse holder)… confirm that it works… then just switch the power input to that entire block by swapping the 6V hot lead with the dimmed 12V output lead from the dimmer switch.

Originally I was thinking I would need dimmers at each individual switch… but when I described the 6V/12V switch situation to Steve at M4 Products ( www.m4products.com ), he suggested looking further upstream to find where they were fused and use that as a central location. Brilliant!

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer (since all of this is still based on theory! LOL!).
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #23

Thanks RVG, I sure like that approach versus the individual dimmers also. So, if you like how this works, you plan to switch the 6 volt supply at the house batteries to a 12 volt supply? If so, are you convinced that the 6 volt supply only feeds the interior lights?

BTW....I enjoy your videos.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
You have really opened pandoras box! I just ordered 10 bulbs for my puck lights from this website: G4 led bulbs- Online Shopping for G4 led bulbs- Retail G4 led bulbs from LightInTheBox

The choices are the greatest I have seen and the pricing is right with free shipping!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #25

Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks RVG, I sure like that approach versus the individual dimmers also. So, if you like how this works, you plan to switch the 6 volt supply at the house batteries to a 12 volt supply? If so, are you convinced that the 6 volt supply only feeds the interior lights?

BTW....I enjoy your videos.
Larry,

Yeah… I'm liking this approach, too. I wasn't planning to do anything with the 6 volt supply line at the house batteries… for exactly the fact that I'm not 100% sure (although I'm PRETTY sure) that it doesn't power anything else. Plus, since I'm planning to do a test and order the parts to convert just one "bank" of puck lights, I'll need the 6V for the remaining units until I can upgrade them.

What I was planning to do for the final stage, when all 6V puck lights are converted, was to just remove (and cap) the 6V supply line from that fuse block, tap into the 12V source on another fuse block in the same cabinet to supply the input voltage to the dimmer, and then put the output from the dimmer where the 6V supply line was just removed. That way, I've replaced the 6V supply with an appropriately "dimmed" 12V supply for all of the LED lights powered by that fuse block.

Make sense?

And thanks for watching my videos! They're pretty fun to put together! Glad you like 'em!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I have not seen any 6V LED's. 10-30V is all I have seen but I don't know what the dimmable ones are rated at.

The 12V lamps I just ordered are rated at 3W each. That is 30W of power consumption for the 10 replacements versus 200W for the halogens. We don't have dimmers in this coach to consider.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ordered some soft white led replacements. Once DW gets a look at them and they pass her inspection I'll replace the rest of the bulbs.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I'm looking at a new Ventana, they want $475 for LED's what's up with that if all I need to do is change the bulbs for about $8 each.

Am I missing something here?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement