Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
This is from an old thread, but is like the one wife bought.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=619954
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #16

we have the hammock on our 16 dutch star takes uo some room underneath we got it out on our first trip to visit our son at Oberlin college easy to get out and set up and it says the weight limit 240 lbs
walterhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #17

We got the hammock option. It is a traditional rope hammock with a nice quilted cover and pillow. It is easy to setup. It can be easily adjusted to watch the patio TV. It would be nicer if the steel legs were adjustable for uneven or sloped ground. We had to use wood blocks to level the horizontal bar. Ours is attached to the rear slide and I was told the attachment spot is reinforced. We have noticed no adverse effect on the slide... so far. However the horizontal bar needs to be near level to prevent the side wall from buckling.
I comes with an attachment to connect one end to a tree or pole. I haven't used this, but it seems like a good idea or option if you don't want to attach to the coach. There is also an removable adjustable device to hold an iPad or book reader on the horizontal bar over you so you can read hands free. Not worth the effort to set it up. I would rather hold the book or iPad in my hands.
The frame folds compactly for storage. The Hammock and accessories come in a nice zippered bag which does not take up too much space in the basement.
I looks neat when set up and we get a lot of comments.
Bottom line - an expensive option, but nice after a tough day at the office.

Noel & Eileen
2016 Mountain Aire towing Ford F150 with a Hobie kayak on the roof
melnoelhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Could you please explain what you mean by "buckling"?
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #19

The bracket on the coach looks like the bottom of a hinge with a pin that the horizontal bar slips onto. Two screws attach the bracket to a reinforced plate in the bottom corner of the slide wall. When attaching the hammock horizontal bar, if it is too much out of level, stress is placed on the top of the bracket. Sort of like leaning on the top of a hinged open cabinet door and causing the attachment screws to pull out. It is apparent that the bracket is not screwed into an actual steel or aluminum rail, but to the somewhat flexible sidewall of the side which will flex or buckle if not level.

According to my dealer (who did the installation) Newmar sent him a diagram which showed an rough area of attachment where the reinforced plate was located. I was surprised that it was up to the dealer to do the attachment which required only 1 1/2 to 2 inch screws. But, so far everything seems secure.
melnoelhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thank you for the explanation. I too am surprised that it is a dealer installed option. I would think the plate was bolted through extra bracing in the sidewall framing during construction.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #21

Got to use ours last weekend (when the dw wasn't in it) and it is very comfortable. Easy to set up and takes little space to store. The main frame fits above the frame rails in the #2 compartment. Ours was installed at the factory and I didn't see any evidence of "buckling". Here's a couple shots of it set up. One by itself with the dw heading out the door, and the other when I waited too long...

lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
I use them at home. Wife bought a foldable one that comes in a bag. Probably weighs 20 lbs. Folds easily and have used it many times in our travels.
This.
Ours even has a mini hammock underneath for the dog to lay in. I can easily move it anywhere around the campsite and buy 8 or 9 of them for the price of the option. Why would you always want the hammock at the same place?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote