Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 07:01 AM   #1

Hanging a picture...

My wife is a quilter, and we want to hang some of her smaller works in our 2013 Dutch Star. Does anyone have suggestions/experience with hanging pictures, etc.? I don't want to leave a stain on the wall from sticky stuff, and don't really want to make any holes. Vern @ Riverside RV Resort in Florida
bedlski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This is what we used, worked great......... Command™ - Damage-Free Hanging Solutions

Video's here http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...-to-Use/#video
Old 01-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

That is kind of the problem I was wrestling with in buying new vs used...the uncomfortableness of customizing a newer rv. I would bite the bullet so to speak and hang em up with whatever works, unless you are planning on trading the rig in shortly. It is, after all, basically a first or second home and should be treated as such. I told my wife that when we buy, she gets whatever she wants when it comes to inside the rig...yeah, and that costs something.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #4

I think the damage free only means hole free. There is always a risk that whatever they are stuck to will be problematical when you remove it....especially after a long period of time.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

"Command strips are excellent, but they dry out over time. I had some on my walls for about three years and the sticky stuff became solid, so they tore instead of stretched and would not come free. Eventually I sort of pried them off with a butter knife and yes, they lifted paint. If I used Command strips again, I would remove and replace them every year. They do not seem suited to long-term use."

Will 3M Command strips damage the paint? - 3mcommandstrips adhesive picturehanging | Ask MetaFilter
Old 01-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
That is kind of the problem I was wrestling with in buying new vs used...the uncomfortableness of customizing a newer rv. I would bite the bullet so to speak and hang em up with whatever works, unless you are planning on trading the rig in shortly. It is, after all, basically a first or second home and should be treated as such. I told my wife that when we buy, she gets whatever she wants when it comes to inside the rig...yeah, and that costs something.
Quote:
I think the damage free only means hole free. There is always a risk that whatever they are stuck to will be problematical when you remove it....especially after a long period of time.
Quote:
"Command strips are excellent, but they dry out over time. I had some on my walls for about three years and the sticky stuff became solid, so they tore instead of stretched and would not come free. Eventually I sort of pried them off with a butter knife and yes, they lifted paint. If I used Command strips again, I would remove and replace them every year. They do not seem suited to long-term use."

Will 3M Command strips damage the paint? - 3mcommandstrips adhesive picturehanging | Ask MetaFilter
Wow Did you just go back to pounding hole's in all your walls
or do you just have bare wall's
Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of what we have hung on walls will stay with coach when we part have traded others and filled in holes that would be hard to find.
Mostly screw mounting into studs we have used.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife also quilts and we have a few wall hangings in our RV. We like using Velcro strips cut to 1" lengths. Make sure you use the stronger industrial strength Velcro however.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No matter how careful you are, traditional Velcro always has a little flex to it, which means eventually, if bearing weight it will sag and start to pull loose. There is a better item that we've found when we need a bit more stability or weight capacity.

Google, or go right to Amazon, for "EZPass mounting strips". These originated, as the name implies, as fasteners to attach an electronic toll transponder to the windshield. They work on the same basic principle as Velcro, but they're made with semi-rigid plastic nubs. If you're mounting a framed quilt piece about a foot square or so, one small piece in each corner will give you great stability and will surely hold the weight (within reason!).
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #10

I just removed the two paintings that came with the coach in the bedroom. I removed them using the same trick for removing car emblems, fishing line. Just use it to cut through the sticky tape. Now I have 1/2 the sticky tape on the wall that I have been carefully removing with my finger nails and rubbing with my fingers so it rolls into a ball. We plan to change out the photos for some from our locale and then re-hang in the same location.

If you use fishing line, there shouldn't be any damage to the walls.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #11

We used the 'sticky stuff' back in 2004 to hang things. We sold the MH last month and removed the articles and the walls were absolutely stain-free. I don't recall the brand we used.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

Google, or go right to Amazon, for "EZPass mounting strips". These originated, as the name implies, as fasteners to attach an electronic toll transponder to the windshield. They work on the same basic principle as Velcro, but they're made with semi-rigid plastic nubs.
John,

The EZPass mounting strips do work very well but are very expensive, someone is taking a 3M product, repackaging and charging a fortune for it. 3M calls this product Dual Lock and as you say, it's much better than velcro and it has unlimited uses in the RV, it works great. You can buy it by the roll for much less than the EZPass strips. A 10 ft roll will last you a long time.

Amazon.com: 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener TB3561/TB3562 400/170 Clear 1 in x 10 ft (1 Mated Strip/Bag): Industrial & Scientific
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It's your house, why save it for the next owner? Do you really think they will look for the holes and ding you for them, like the accesser does for electric outlets? Whatever the BOOK says is the bottom line. Live your own life.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #14

It's mine now, small screw and velcro dots work great. A good detailer hopefully can blend all future faults at the of sale, or get a larger picture/mirror to cover the spot. Just sayin' enjoy your home.