RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Hard connecting a black tank rinse line

I've seen some here that have a permanent connection for black tank rinse such as coming off of a reconfigured line in the wet bay. I changed out the shower wand for two hose bibbs and considered connecting a line such as from hot to black tank rinse with a check valve.

My concern is any type of vapor that can travel back upstream into the fresh source. I realize a check valve may stop fluid flow but what about toxic vapors? For this reason it's likely I won't do this but I'm interested in hearing what others have done to protect harmful gasses from going from the black tank rinse system back into your water source.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 AM   #2

Mine has a short hose that attaches to the black flush out and the other end has a quick disconnect that I attach to a "Y" adapter connected to both hose bibs (changed over from the old shower control). Not worried as some are here about migration of fumes or waste to fresh side as the pressure of the fresh water will force it the other way. That plus the fresh valve is closed except for flushing. Don't really see an issue. Have had it this way on this and the last coach for the past 4 years with no issues.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Mine has a short hose that attaches to the black flush out and the other end has a quick disconnect that I attach to a "Y" adapter connected to both hose bibs (changed over from the old shower control). Not worried as some are here about migration of fumes or waste to fresh side as the pressure of the fresh water will force it the other way. That plus the fresh valve is closed except for flushing. Don't really see an issue. Have had it this way on this and the last coach for the past 4 years with no issues.
Jim, which Y-adapter are you using? I've heard from others about this with a shower control conversion and am interested in what is being used as I would like the option to mix hot/cold to not scold myself.

I guess there is probably some type of vapor lock gadget that could be put inline. I currently connect a hose with check valve to city water for my tank rinse. Kinda funny/ironic is I do this when I leave as I don't want the thought of my black tank rinse connecting to that water supply but what have the prior 10K customers used? Ehh...so yeah, it's no different than that but if leaving something connected I'm curious if people are thinking about toxic gasses.

Edit: looks like a washing machine mixing hose would work
Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
They make a vacuum breaker that vents to the air when supply water is turned off. Don't know how reliable they are. It has a diaphragm that seals when water pressure is applied but drops when supply is turned off. Quick connect on hose is probably a better idea.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #5

Neal, just a simple washing machine mixer. I shortened it slightly for cleanance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-22 08.54.47.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	232741  

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have converted my shower to have valves for a garden hose. I then put a y on the cold side with a quick connect end. I put the other quick connect on the sewer rinse.

Finally a short hose with quick connects.

I can easily connect for rinse and disconnect when done. Takes no time at all, and zero risk of vapor, or worse.

Quick connects:
https://amzn.to/2AWTpQ2

Cold water valve:
https://amzn.to/2AZNOIX

Hot water valve:https://amzn.to/2AXU4Rv

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Neal I have shared the same concern over contamination, that being said there is a vacuum breaker under the sink in the 1/2 bath, many here have complained about odor in the 1/2 bath and replaced the stock plastic valve with brass. The reality if you think about it is that the camper before you hooked a hose up to that same water valve your fresh water is now connected to and flushed their black tank. This being said, I havenít been able to hard connect to mine

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #8

I removed my shower head in the wet bay and screwed on a plastic connector changing it over to the garden hose thread. I also put a backflow preventer in line. I just use it when I back flush and don't leave it hooked up. Total price of the modification was about $4.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Neal I have shared the same concern over contamination, that being said there is a vacuum breaker under the sink in the 1/2 bath, many here have complained about odor in the 1/2 bath and replaced the stock plastic valve with brass. The reality if you think about it is that the camper before you hooked a hose up to that same water valve your fresh water is now connected to and flushed their black tank. This being said, I havenít been able to hard connect to mine
Yeah, I changed out that plastic nonsense for the brass fittings as I had the 1/2 bath odor. I'll look at that or a check valve but I don't plan to keep a connection due to toxic vapors/gasses. Doesn't pass the common sense test to leave something connected to black.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Neal, just a simple washing machine mixer. I shortened it slightly for cleanance.
Jim, someone stole your house water filter!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #11

This is how I had my Dutchstar configured. In addition to the brass vacuum breaker I also had check valves at both water inlet connection.
With a valve to each connection to direct water flow plus the two check valves, I cannot see how any odour could migrate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170114_150700.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	232744  
Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #12

I rarely used the black tank flush in the past but since doing a mod with a more permanent hook up I use it frequently. I also did the shower removal in favor of the washing machine valves. I just ran a short hose from the cold valve. I also added another check valve in addition to the one Newmar has in all of our coach's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0361 (002).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	232746  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I've seen some here that have a permanent connection for black tank rinse such as coming off of a reconfigured line in the wet bay. I changed out the shower wand for two hose bibbs and considered connecting a line such as from hot to black tank rinse with a check valve.

My concern is any type of vapor that can travel back upstream into the fresh source. I realize a check valve may stop fluid flow but what about toxic vapors? For this reason it's likely I won't do this but I'm interested in hearing what others have done to protect harmful gasses from going from the black tank rinse system back into your water source.

Simply unscrew the hose.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #14
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Simply unscrew the hose.
Of course. But some want an always connected system to just turn on water and do a black tank rinse. The objective is not to connect or disconnect anything. Right now I think my design will be an on/off valve in a 90 degree fitting at the rinse connector and a quick disconnect at the hose bibb with a check/backflow valve inline.

Tags
black tank, tank