Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #1

Has anyone cut a hole in the floor to the basement?

We are going full time in a new Baystar 3414. I can't live with our cat's litterbox in the coach. We are considering putting a tunnel through to the basement for the kitty potty. Has anyone else done this mod? Is there anyway to find out what Newmar has put in the floor? We have identified two potential places to go through the floor. We don't want to go through a slide to the basement, so that leaves the bedroom under the drawers, or from the entry steps well, through the side into the basement. That area has additional issues, so I'd rather penetrate the floor in the bedroom. Any thoughts or recommendations? Brand new coach, and here we are fixing to void the warranty...[emoji18] We ARE freaking out!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe you are not ment to have a cat! There are many kinds of kitty litter that are scented to mask any bad smells, just like you use when you go to the bathroom.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

I can't comment on your unit, but many cut holes in the side of the stairwell into the adjacent basement for this purpose.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

I'm with Unplanned but if you're looking to find out we what's in your floor have you tried calling the MFG customer service representative and have them send you the drawing of the floor. I have a different MH then your's but anytime I've needed detail drawings of mine they were more then happy to send them to me. Good luck
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I've seen threads here where it was done, so for sure it's doable.

You might think about buying a boroscope for your smart phone (Amazon has 'em). That way could first drill a small hole (or use an existing one, if there happens to be one) so that you can see for SURE what's in there before you start any major cutting.

Personally I don't think I'd completely trust anything the Mfg sends. Based on comments here, the reality of how one of these is built doesn't always match the design specs.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #6

Personally I think a litter box is the least of my worries about taking my cat along. The litter box we use is covered, so not much litter or overspray, clean it once or twice a day, and as suggested use odor controlling litter. Hacked up hairballs, Hacked up food, claw marks (even from a declawed cat!). Carpet and cats are a bad combination.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

I have read about others that have done what you are proposing.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #8

I cut a hole in my floor before to change a fuel pump (long story but definitely didn't think that one thru) anyway for my floor which is much older than yours, I had to cut thru 2 pieces of wood, and foam insulation as well as the upper floor. I found a metal joist in the middle of my hole i cut. call the manufacturer and ask for the prints. they will give them to you. Before I would cut the hole tho, I would seriously ask myself if the cat is worth it or if you have exhausted all the other options.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

Before you cut holes into your coach, have you tried changing your little box? Your cats food?

We travel with our two cats our litter box is the shower box, on top of a pad, we feed our cats Darwin raw for cats, (very little and no smell poop) and for litter arm & hammer multi cat and clean up daily, it’s a little of pain, to use the shower you have to take the little box out but doable. it’s just my opinion.

Zzotte
Old 07-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I completely understand why you'd want the litter box in the basement, and fully support moving it there. However, if it's REALLY going to void your warranty (or even if you think it might) then I strongly suggest waiting to make that particular mod until you're out of warranty. It would be a very poor trade to have warranty repair declined so that you don't have to 'live' with the litter box. You KNOW you'll have some sort of a warranty repair at some point. Find a different way to deal with this until your warranty period is up.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Thank you! I really appreciate all of the replies. I'll contact the company for the drawings and we will check on the warranty issue. When we decide to do the mod I'll pay it with pictures.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #12

Speaking for myself (even as a dog owner and with no allergies ), any used coach that housed cats and had "custom" holes in the floor to hide a litter box would have zero dollar value. If resale value is a consideration, give it some thought.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
There is a big drawer under the fridge in our rig for storing large items. Don’t see why you can’t remove it and make a nice looking panel with an entry flap and use that space for a litter box. You will have to finish the inside so kitty can’t go exploring inside your other cabinets. The space is 14 inches tall between the floor and the top of the opening.
2Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #14

You can teach your cat to use the toilet....not kidding and is actually very easy to do, you will obviously still need to flush. My cousin taught her cat to use the toilet. Takes about 2 weeks. Start with litter box beside the toilet, then add a stool to move litter box closer to the top of the toilet bowl. Next step is to put litter box on top of toilet bowl with litter in it. Next litter box on toilet bowl with no litter and hole cut so will go into toilet. Last step is the cat will now go in the toilet with no litter box. No more kitty litter problems. Cats are really smart.
sttom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor