Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Has anyone done a factory pick up???

We are on our second RV from Tom in two years. Great to work with and very fair. He only sells Newmar so he does it very well. Located about 45 minutes from Burbank Airport, less then an hour from LAX
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Not sure about dealer but you could check in the bottom of the NEWMAR CORP sticky there is a link for reporting dealers good or bad and check the good bad dealers up near the link to Newmar Corp 2018 year info. He is in Virginia so maybe new could also call Newmar for info they are the ones that train dealer tech's.
Dealer is out of New Jersey. Im good with anything that will insure I get the best product from the start. If it means FPU I'm fine. Dylan's has one review on Newmars link and it was excellent. It's so tough! LOL
micbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #45

Debated FPU on our new 4369 from Tom Lindstrom. If you are a non technical person, maybe. If you have some mechanical and an understanding of how things work, pass.
I can share that we have had one problem and that was easily adjusted. I was surprised, everything works as intended. I already understand how each system works, if I run into an issue, it's a 800 call away.
However, I understand that if you paid for the FPU, then it was of value and I think that is fine for you. Tom Lindstrom, no FPU needed, spend savings in Vegas or ?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Debated FPU on our new 4369 from Tom Lindstrom. If you are a non technical person, maybe. If you have some mechanical and an understanding of how things work, pass.
I can share that we have had one problem and that was easily adjusted. I was surprised, everything works as intended. I already understand how each system works, if I run into an issue, it's a 800 call away.
However, I understand that if you paid for the FPU, then it was of value and I think that is fine for you. Tom Lindstrom, no FPU needed, spend savings in Vegas or ?
Thanks! Seems Tom is a popular sales rep.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
Thanks Georgeaz, that does help. We'll be doing the FPU next April--you've confirmed several of my thoughts.

I want to get a bunch of road time in while there. Is it realistic to think we can get it on the road as early as Monday or Tuesday?
Glad that helps. If you manage to set the schedule up front you can get through what you need. Make sure to get there at 6:30am (or earlier if they let you) when they open. They will let you in the coach to see it for the first time and give you a few minutes with your new baby. Once you get past the drooling stage, then the fun begins. They have a check list (same as the dealer PDI) they want to walk through with you. I would be up front and tell them you have 3/4 of day for how it all works, then you want to get it on the road for a test ride that Monday. You can't take it out until your bank wire is received by the dealer, so I had my wire staged and when I was happy with taking the coach on day one, I called my bank and said send it to the dealer. The dealer will confirm with Newmar that the coach is paid, and you are then the owner. If you don't do this on day one (which is your right), you won't be able to sleep in it that Monday night.

Again, get on the paint as soon as you can. Bring some blue painters tape and make sure you tape any and all issues. You will need a good 1.5 days if it goes back to paint. Translation - all work stops on anything else and you won't see your coach until it comes back from paint. If you wait until wed or thur to point out paint issues, you will be stuck there over the weekend for sure.

Just to be clear, a full day is about 6:30am-2:00pm. So I would focus on getting all the walk through done by lunch, then you have some time for the test ride.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

G
Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeaz View Post
Just to be clear, a full day is about 6:30am-2:00pm. So I would focus on getting all the walk through done by lunch, then you have some time for the test ride.

Unless the time has changed since last May, it is 6:00am - 2:00pm.

The techs show up at camp Newmar about 6:05 to pick up coaches & take them to the service garage. Tell you tech that you will drive the coach to your service garage & you will meet him there.

Monday we were at building 42 (that is the service building our FPU was done in) and walking in our coach at 6:00am.

Every morning at 5:45am I drove the coach myself over to building 42 rather than wait for my tech to come get it at camp Newmar. Make sure your tech knows that you will be doing this & he will be waiting for you at the service garage. That way you are the 1st coach in & work starts by 6:05. This adds a good 2 - 2 1/2 hours of tech time to you week & would be surprise what you can have your tech install for you FREE in those couple extra hours.

Remember, anything you had an estimate from Alvin (the estimator) to have service install at FPU & your tech does it, YOU ARE NOT CHARGED FOR ANYTHING YOUR TECH HAS TIME TO DO FOR YOU.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
Remember, anything you had an estimate from Alvin (the estimator) to have service install at FPU & your tech does it, YOU ARE NOT CHARGED FOR ANYTHING YOUR TECH HAS TIME TO DO FOR YOU.
We had purchased items & brought them with us to FPU because Newmar prices are quite inflated on most after market items.

Our tech spent 40% the time that week installing items on our coach. On Thursday there were as many as 2 extra techs helping our tech for a few hours. Friday, 3 techs worked all day to button these add on's up.

If they have techs they can spare to help out on a FPU coach, they will do so.

I had labor estimates from Alvin for over $2,200 & AT THE END OF THE WEEK, OUR BILL WAS $0.00
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3862545]Well Calif is a hard place to do anything easy, but there is a dealer that offers good service and sales and sells many Newmars not sure the name Tom Livingstone I think,he offers a good PDI, someone may correct me or you may find him in the list of good dealers in the NEWMAR CORP sticky on forum. The BAY STAR's are a hot selling coach for many people, start about 28' long and up its not a high line coach but many are happy Newmar owners and in [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-3-a-113631.html
QT's #3[/URL][/B] I have place threads of information and members MOD's I think one upgraded to a MACA upgrade if I remember right.
All the price sheets are in the big link won't hurt to look, you may become one of the family of happy Newmar owners.
Good luck in what ever.

Thanks,

I bought my Fleetwood from Tom in 2008 when he was at Neils.

I have spoken to him a few times since at his new lot (I live very close)

Good man, very in tune to his customers and their needs

Would not hesitate to buy another coach from Tom..... if the stars line up!

Highly recommended!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
Thanks,

I bought my Fleetwood from Tom in 2008 when he was at Neils.

I have spoken to him a few times since at his new lot (I live very close)

Good man, very in tune to his customers and their needs

Would not hesitate to buy another coach from Tom..... if the stars line up!

Highly recommended!

Thank you, I forgot to mention that I had also purchased a Bounder and Southwind back in his Neil’s days. [emoji4]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post

Every morning at 5:45am I drove the coach myself over to building 42 rather than wait for my tech to come get it at camp Newmar. Make sure your tech knows that you will be doing this & he will be waiting for you at the service garage. That way you are the 1st coach in & work starts by 6:05. This adds a good 2 - 2 1/2 hours of tech time to you week.
Great tip, thanks. We'll be taking advantage of that advice.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #53

To say that this forum is over the top is an understatement. The knowledge, experience, comments, good intentions, wisdom and input is beyond belief. Especially for a first time RV owner it is priceless. Thank you all.

I think I have it down:

1. Until you pay the dealer first upfront you cannot stay in the vehicle overnight or drive it during the FPU. However, you can, and should, spend the better part of the first day inspecting, using the systems and thoroughly walk through the entire rig (inside and outside) before you pay the dealer. If you have done any of your homework on this site, you will know what to look for and should have a list of those items during the FPU to keep you focused instead of being like a kid in the candy store Also if you are getting a sat dish make sure you bring your dish receiver to see if it works properly.

Maybe the dealer will even give their permission to have the tech, not you, take you for a short ride before you pay to potentially identify any issues like rattles, strange noises and motor or transmission issues

2. Pay the dealer after doing the number 1 walk through via a direct wire transfer to their bank account. Hopefully my dealer will have his account with Chase Bank You do not pay Newmar at the FPU. If this all goes well for me...it will be my first overnight camping in a RV and at the infamous Camp Newmar to boot or should I say Hoot Wonder what TV channels will be available there with the OTA

3. Before you even get to the factory for the FPU either inform and/or send to Newmar the items that you would want them to install during the FPU. For me so far this will be Weboost and a CB setup. This apparently is very important to do so they can schedule the time you need to do the install ahead of time

4. After paying the dealer on Monday it is all yours to enjoy and use With today’s technology (some who have read my other posts on this subject are probably laughing and that is fine) you should be able to accomplish this in time on Monday to stay in the rig overnight on Monday If not because of technology, that is OK too.

5. On Tuesday it is probably best to continue to go through the rig, use all the systems and stay in it until Friday Some have said to talk to other Newmar owners during this process which is a great idea to get their experiences and possibly what else to have looked at or fix during the FPU.

The one question that still has not been answered is what happens if there is a need to fix something under warranty? Does the time it takes to fix it count towards your paid 40 hours of tech time? (It is 40 right?). Tech time must be used wisely so be ready The install of the items you brought is obviously tech time and perhaps you can get an estimate of that install time (and cost, if any) before you get there so you can better use your tech time?

Hope I got this all right, if not please correct me

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe the dealer will even give their permission to have the tech, not you, take you for a short ride before you pay to potentially identify any issues like rattles, strange noises and motor or transmission issues

Its not maybe at a factory PDI and not once maybe more after what you may find not right.

This thread will be placed in the NEWMAR CORP Sticky along with our HOOT Deek's post of same type thread.
With this more updated thread may see some difference between the two threads.
Have fun the excitement rises.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3863443][URL="Maybe the dealer will even give their permission to have the tech, not you, take you for a short ride before you pay to potentially identify any issues like rattles, strange noises and motor or transmission issues:)
Maybe the dealer will even give their permission to have the tech, not you, take you for a short ride before you pay to potentially identify any issues like rattles, strange noises and motor or transmission issues[/URL]
Maybe this is a good option, will talk with my rep at dealer.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #56

For FPU Newmar will send you instructions in advance on when and where your delivery will take place. They have three locations for delivery. My instructions said Monday to be at the main service building at 7am when they open.

If you are paying cash and want to make that final payment to the dealer on Monday via wire transfer that method would work with the caveat 'what happens if something runs afoul and the payment doesn't get done?' or confirmed to Newmar? If Newmar doesn't have the release you won't be staying in your new coach or driving it.

If you are financing you will probably have to sign all of the final loan documents prior to your trip to Newmar so the dealer will already have your cash and 'sold' you the coach.

They do seem to have a rhythm to how they run deliveries. They do have a very complete checklist. I let them run the show other than changes we agreed to due to bad weather in the forecast. In our case we started test drives on Monday in the afternoon. We had not gotten through all of the systems review at that time.

Not sure why an owner would want to be the concert director?

Newmar doesn't charge freight to the dealers. But there is freight/driving costs to the dealer for delivery of the coach. Fuel and costs of the driver. So a delivery charge of $XXX should be expected. If you do FPU then you shouldn't pay that charge.

The tech is yours for the week, but within reason. Depending on what you want installed they can refuse the work. Yes, anything they find that needs to be corrected you might consider warranty but the work time is part of the 5 day delivery time.

On my delivery I paid in advance for the work to be done installing the coach side of my Air Force one brake system (tank and plumbing). They will only do the install on a Spartan coach. And the charge was pretty close the same as having a local vendor do the work. So when I arrived this had already been done by someone in the service shop. May have been the same team that did my FPU.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote