RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #1

If so what can you tell me to look for in buying one. Since I have gotten zero response to my last post I am getting nervous about the coach.

Rustyone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #2

If so what can you tell me to look for in buying one. Since I have gotten zero response to my last post I am getting nervous about the coach.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #3

Don't reach the wrong conclusion. The traffic is light on the site right now because everyone is on the move. It is Mem Day weekend after all. Give it a few days and you will get some response.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #4

Let's start with some info about you. Is this your first Diesel Pusher? first RV? how mechanically inclined are you?

I'm not poking fun at you at all, but you will find that many on this site are very technically oriented when it comes to the workings of their rigs. It will help us formulate our responses if we know the target.

Have you looked at the First Time Buyers Guide http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...tings/forum/22

Old 05-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #5

Thanks BikeBoy57. That is a start. It is true that I am new to this field however I am mechanically inclined. It would appear that most of the members here have newer units but I was expecting that some of the members may have owned one of these and had some thoughts on the unit.

Good point however on Memorial Day weekend--I guess my impatience reflects my newness??? I will wait and see what arises next week.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #6

If you're mechanically inclined that is a great start. Because you are looking at used it will help tremendously that you can do most of your own work.

I think the best way to look at it is to divide the coach into buckets of things to look into. consider that a coach is a combination high tech vehicle and a house with multiple power and water systems. Most people don't grasp that when diving into the DP pool. If you have to pay someone to maintain all that at around a 100 bucks an hour, you can see why there are unhappy people.

So start with the vehicle part first because those components are the hardest to fix or modify if you are not happy. How big is the engine? If you are planning on towing a car hauler, you will need all the torque you can get. How does it drive? Do you have evidence of maintenance records? Put on some nasty clothes and crawl under it. Look carefully for rust, leaks, and damage. Look carefully at tires while you are there. Only if the chassis meets your expectations should you even bother to go through the rest of the inspection. Drive it, drive it 50 miles. Offer to put the diesel in it for the owner. If the owner declines an extended drive, then walk away. I say at least 50 miles because the first 20 will be just getting used to driving a DP rig.....Now go drive some more rigs somewhere else. You can't do a comparison with one data point.

If it passes that test, then find one of the many PDI (Predelivery Inspection Checklists) on the web, and spend 2 or 3 hours going through the rig to check the operation of each and every system.

Is this a private owner, or dealer? How many people have owned the coach? What chassis and engine and tranny is under the rig?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #7

Richard, I like your approach. By the way I owned a couple of boats (25 and 33ft) in the past and I am assuming mechanical hassles are on the same order--there are things you fix and there are things (like pulling an engine) that you have to leave to those with the equipment to do the task.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #8

Rustyone2: In your other post you mentioned needing to tow at least 10,000 lbs. NOT sure, but I think you will find the coach you are looking at to be a diesel PULLER with a 300 hp cummins. You need to look carefully at the chassis GVWR and GCVWR versus the actual weight of the coach to determine if it will meet your towing needs. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #9

i have the 1996 kountrystar. it is on the spartan mountainmaster chassis. i think the la has the same chassis. 300 hp cummins, 8.3 L. mechanical diesel. mine came with a towbar rated at 4000 lbs. if you can get the owners manuals it will give you a lot of info. i would not try to tow more than 4500 lbs with the 300 hp cummins. unless all your travel is on flat land. at WOT i am doing 45 on 8% grades towing 2005 malibu max, 3300 lbs.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #10

Ok Tommy's comments are interesting. Equivalent HP diesels--does a "pusher" perform different than a "puller"?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Rustyone2 to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Not a diesel man but did look at some old diesel pullers back in 98 and the engine was not rated very high for pulling the load your looking for. There were alot of them out there but most of the RV's were going for the pushers because of the low ratings. The new FRED pullers
maybe to your liking and are more power full than the older front engine diesels.
The Newmar link up above is being upgraded with all the new 2008's as we spk and will have all the new moldels and engines gas and diesel.
Newmar web site

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote