Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Has anyone removed the 3rd bottom retractible step on the Canyon Star 3610?

We have a love hate relationship with the 3rd bottom retractible step. It's great for the knees with the bottom step about 2-3" off the ground, but having to park 3 feet away from the curb in our neighborhood on a hill or anywhere else is so annoying because we stick out so far. . . . absolutely no parking close to the curb with the ability to get out of the RV that's for sure !!!

I've been contemplating cutting the bracket and removing the bottom step. Has anyone done this? Or switched out the retractible 3 step unit for a 2 step unit?

Thanks!
Goliath3610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #2

I haven't yet, but I agree with you. We've even had problems parking in an uneven dirt parking lot. I'd like to make a quick removal kit for it, so I could reinstall it in a campground. You probably have a switch, little black thing, attached to lower right side of door frame as you exit. If you place a magnet over it, it'll disable the stairs so you can park next to the curb. Be careful though, it could be a very high step.
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Removed the 3rd Step

My wife is a Happy Camper now!!! I just removed the long brackets that go from the top step to the bottom step and replaced them with the bottom step short brackets. The bolts were torqued really high. Make sure that you replace the bushings exactly where they were before and oil them if you do this also. The step works perfect!!!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
That sounds like a good fix. I suppose you could reverse the process if you wanted to also. Nice post!

Happy Travels !
RolandRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I tried to attach pictures but couldn't figure out how to get the URL on a Mac. New to the forum for sure!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't want to get rid of the bottom step as it comes in handy most of the time. It seems like just about whenever I level the coach, its always nearly a full step up, so if we only had the two steps, that first step up could be a real stretch. In fact, as I've been shopping for a new(er) coach, thats one of my concerns with the Tiffen Allegro. It only has two steps.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It really isn't that large a step up for her without it because several places we've camped, it drug in the dirt so the 2" of the step thickness we lost in removing it makes almost no difference at all. The wife has a fairly thick floor mat outside so that will also help. I kept all the parts just in case she changes her mind ;-)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #8

For what it’s worth. I carry a magnet, when we stop anywhere I don't want the steps to extend I place the magnet over the switch, lower right side leaving my coach. The steps stay in. If necessary we have a small folding stool we use while the steps are in. Easy temporary fix for curbs and uneven ground.
grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Adjustable Aluminum Step

I'm so happy to pull up to a sidewalk and be able to get out of the RV safely and be closer to the sidewalk in our neighborhood . . .BUT . . .we went camping last week where we had to level the RV so much that I could hardly make the step getting in or out (had to use something flimsy which was not safe).

I am still happy that he removed the 3rd step for me but I plan on buying the adjustable aluminum step at Camping World to take with us just in case. (My only experience before this weekend the bottom step drug in the sand.) The good news is that If I change my mind he can reinstall it and the magnet can be used instead.

The wife ;-)