RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Has windshield Night Shade ever failed to work

Has anyone ever had the windshield Night Shade on a DS or upper level coach fail to come down just as preparing for bed, or fail to rise in the morning just when getting ready to hit the road? Either situation seems like it would be a catastrophe.

When this happens is there any kind of quick fix, or does this indicate the motor is shot and only fix would be a new motor? If so how involved would it be to replace the motor? Just had ours hesitate to come down at the first push of the dash button but did after toggling the button a couple of times. Right here at almost bedtime was kind of scary.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #2

Yes to both, duct tape and/or clothes pins. We were lucky, it was still under warranty. The manufacturer sent a new motor, Newmar offered to send someone to install it but I did it myself. I still worry about it happening again.

grumpytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had mine fail in the down position twice. First time Newmar replaced the motor, second time they replaced the entire shade assembly. No further problems for the past 18 months.

Not really a catastrophe, we just rolled up the shade by hand in the morning and secured it up to the day shade with ribbon, worked fine and not a terrible inconvenience.

I think if it failed in the up position and I couldn't deploy it at night I would just hang a sheet for the night, not a big deal.
SWag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:11 AM   #4

If you will do a search, you will see that this does happen more often than expected. I have posted the instructions to reprogram the shade many times as that is the most likely cause. If you need to replace a motor, it's pretty easy and essentially slides in the shade roller tube, then you need to reprogram. So, reprogramming should be your first step.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
With my older Tiffin I had both shades fail in both positions. Tiffin uses the Automotion brand. I was glad (at first) to see Newmar used MCD. When I sold the Tiffin I warned them to use the shades sparely being I have already replaced the motors in both of them.

I had to use a blanket when the shade failed in the up position and I have rolled it up by hand when it failed in the down position. I wish I could get chain driven shades instead.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led