Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #113

In March of this year on a straight two-lane section of California 395, late afternoon and with no other traffic in sight a jerk in his Trek passes us and pulls in way early forcing us to panic brake our Canyon Star (with toad) to avoid hitting the last 1/3 of his coach. He hadn't been following us just came up from behind and passed ... Felt to me at the time like a great big "f*%k you buddy this highway belongs to me". I'm really liking the previously mentioned ideas of a dash cam ... BIG air horns ... oh, and the paintball thing ...
Magic Bus II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #114
Hux

I know I'm a pain because I am slow and hard to see around, so I try to slow down when someone is passing me, stay to the right in passing zones, and slow down when there is an opportunity for the person behind me to pass and nobody is coming the other way. I hate when I am in a car and the person I want to pass speeds up every time the road straightens out.
Hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This is one reason I hate being in the right lane along highways in a city. The on ramps are full of people that can't get in front of me, and then don't realize that I also have a toad.

Get a lot of "Your #1" just for existing at the right place in the right time.

When there is 3 lanes of highway, the middle is safe, and I will stick to it thru the entire stretch. Problem is areas where it goes to 2 lanes. You have to decide between being that "jerk from Texas" hogging the left lane, or dealing with merging in the right lane.

Going thru fort myers, with those short clover leaf on/off ramps, I refuse to be in the right lane. I will accept my "#1" status with pride.

Using the left lane in those circumstances is not only allowed it’s safer. As long as your doing the speed limit.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #116

Have you come across crazy drivers like this in your motorhome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher1 View Post
We were in Monument Valley with our NewAire traveling to Page Arizona today and this fellow decided to make this brilliant move. The video is slowed down to 1/5 normal speed or you'd miss it (60 mph).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yn...FiT4IRBYao0Hvg

Yup, most every trip south on the I5. Last time was as close as your video shows.And that’s on a 4 lane hiway!
Not sure why a truck and 5th need to get back in the right lane so fast as to nearly take off front cap! The extra few seconds needed to pass safely won’t hurt anyone.
Glad all were safe in your incident.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #117
Community Administrator

The link in post #1 has been edited.
Cliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher1 View Post
The original posted link to this video no longer works. I private messaged NLOVNIT as they are the community admin to have them change the original URL on the post to the following:

https://youtu.be/HCPF6NNr3Bg

Everyone is still going to the original non-working link because its the first link posted and only a few are finding this revised buried link so hopefully admin will do a quick change to original post.

I won't use google docs to post a video again :(

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #118

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Idiots are everywhere!

I used to drive a passenger bus from Poplar Bluff MO to St Louis. One day, a small car pulled half way into my lane from the shoulder....and stopped! He was blocking traffic so another vehicle pulling a trailer could enter the interstate! First.....NEVER......NEVER.....NEVER pull in front of a passenger bus and STOP! You might get run over! Second....Make sure you are bigger than the vehicles you are trying to block! and third...NEVER....NEVER....NEVER pull in front of a bus and STOP!

We were lucky that I had room to swerve into the next lane! What's worse...less than 5 miles later a pickup pulling a boat crossed the highway in front of me! My brakes were locked up! May passengers were all cussing him! I was cussing him! We missed by less than 2 feet!
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #119

if they cant take the time to get there they should not go !
Charles Tole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #120
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
We had a saying in a motorcycle group “don’t be dead right because you have the right of way”. I’ve slowed down when some trucker HAD to be home for supper more times than I can count. Not to knock the 95% of good truckers out there, but you know some of your brethren are not right in the head.

For the general public in cars, I just assume the crazies must have the cure to cancer or world hunger and go on with my life.

Can we change the dead Enders? As one sign I saw in Branson says “not my monkeys, not my circus”.

Drive safe out there.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #121

It doesn't matter if you are doing the speed limit or not. You are to drive on the right and pass on the left. Your attitude is the cause of most of our traffic problems. Expect to get the problems you will experience. You probably won't notice being in your own world and all....
jlwentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Tole View Post
if they cant take the time to get there they should not go !
I liken it to leaving 10 minutes late on a 10 minute drive and trying to get there early.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwentworth View Post
It doesn't matter if you are doing the speed limit or not. You are to drive on the right and pass on the left. Your attitude is the cause of most of our traffic problems. Expect to get the problems you will experience. You probably won't notice being in your own world and all....

Hope your not responding to me. Driving in the left is allowed on hiway through cities with numerous exits/merge entrances and only 2 lanes of traffic each way.
Think rush hour. Do you think 1 person in the left lane trying to do the speed limit has right if way over everyone in gridlock?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Hope your not responding to me. Driving in the left is allowed on hiway through cities with numerous exits/merge entrances and only 2 lanes of traffic each way.
Think rush hour. Do you think 1 person in the left lane trying to do the speed limit has right if way over everyone in gridlock?
He wasn't talking about your rush hour example. Just keep up with traffic in a traffic jam.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #125

Winnebago Owners Club
Steady traffic at a slower pace will get you farther and faster than stop and go traffic. And it is less frustrating.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #126

Going north on I 65, had a Genius pass me in the Emergency lane and cut back to soon. All ended ok, but his ears had to be burning. When we got to our campsite that night guess who pulled in and set up next to us ? Yes , you guessed it , the Genius who past us in the Emergency lane . Boy was he surprised to see us. He tried to talk to us but I told him I did not talk to Genius people. ( maybe I did not use the term Genius )....
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, motorhome