Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you ever taken your coach near the beach? Salt Damage???

The iRV2 newsletter came out yesterday and one of the highlighted threads detailed the damage done to the posters rigs by stays at the beach. It freaked me out.

We have a 10 day stay coming up at Grayland State Park on the Washington Coast and I am thinking I may have to cancel it. Long term damage from a short beach stay is a no go.

So, has anyone here taken their rig to a coastal spot and had damage? Where were you, and what happened?

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
All the time. Beach areas are my preferred destinations. NC outer banks and numerous places in FL and along the Gulf Coast. I haven’t seen the thread you’re referring to, but my coach has held up just fine.

To be fair, when we return, I always wash the rig and spray down the undercarriage and engine compartment.

If you want to go, go. That’s why you bought it in the first place.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Guess I missed this thread, but I've been camping on the Oregon/Washington coast for several weeks out of every year since 1986 and don't know what they are referring to. I've camped in trailers, 5th wheels, and currently my Dutch Star. I've never noticed any damage to the frame, or paint, that I could attribute to being on the coast.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we had a Toy Hauler and, uh, toys, we used to frequent Pismo Beach. Just made sure to hose down, wash, and dry every surface top to bottom. No adverse effects after 11 years.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
Guess I missed this thread, but I've been camping on the Oregon/Washington coast for several weeks out of every year since 1986 and don't know what they are referring to. I've camped in trailers, 5th wheels, and currently my Dutch Star. I've never noticed any damage to the frame, or paint, that I could attribute to being on the coast.
Same here!

Don't cancel your trip to the Washington coast; it is a beautiful...and, very interesting...place to visit.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

Been camping on the Washington and Oregon coast for several years for up to 2 weeks at a time. I have never had an issue with rust on either of my motorhomes. The Washington and Oregon coast is beautiful, don't miss this opportunity.
CP598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Surely you cant be serious......are you just going to keep that RV in storage and not use it.

You take a chance on distroying your RV just driving down the road.

Its all relevant
Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

Short-term stays at the beach aren't a problem. In fact, driving on wet salted winter roads just once are MUCH MUCH more of a problem!

But there's a solution for both. Spray your undercarriage and any other areas you suspect got salted with "Salt-Away."

This is a concentrated salt-neutralizing solution for people with boat trailers who launch their boats in the ocean.

You can either mix up a diluted solution in a portable sprayer (such as a Hudson Sprayer), or get their siphon hose attachment and connect it to a garden hose and just spray all parts that might have gotten salted.

When the Salt-Away finds some salt it foams and neutralizes it. You don't need to rinse the Salt-Away off. In fact, it's better if you don't as it adds a layer of protection.

I learned about this stuff from a fishing buddy who's been spraying his steel boat trailers religiously with it for decades.

I spray the undercarriage of my vehicles with it after returning from winter trips to States that salt their roads in the winter. Make sure you spray the brakes too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:06 PM   #9

One of the easiest ways to wash the undercarriage is with a lawn sprinkler. Just put it under the front and pull the hose towards the back. Should remove the salt water rather from sea water or from salted highways for ice. Hope this helps I would not let that stop me from going to either coast. Been to Florida the gulf coast several times and haven’t noticed any problem from rust.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I just read the "newsletter article" referenced and all I can say is that the Atlantic Ocean must be a lot saltier than the Pacific.

I suppose in very hot, humid coastal areas (Florida and Southern California come to mind), there could be a problem if you don't take care of your coach, but the North Pacific region just isn't like that. We've spent a lot of time in the coastal areas of that region and have never been concerned with, nor experienced, any salt damage in our RVs. I'd take that "article" with a grain of salt...pun intended.

If salt air concerns you, what about acid rain in the Midwest industrial areas or blowing dust in the dessert? By the time you eliminate all the potential problem areas, you'll have to spend your vacation in a climate-controlled RV storage building. Take your coach out and use it for its intended purpose. Keep it washed and waxed, and you'll be able to enjoy a lot more of this beautiful country.

Our brand new 2018 Newmar Mountain Aire will be heading to the Oregon Coast soon. If I didn't think I could use it there without sustaining damage, I wouldn't have bought it.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
go, you'll be fine. 10 days near a beach won't hurt anything
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #12

I agree with the other opinions already posted. Go and enjoy yourself and spray your coach off with fresh water when you can.

I purchased a coach that had been sitting on a sea wall getting misted all the time in the windy conditions. I made the assumption that the PO would be spraying this down weekly to remove any salty mist....and I bought the coach before setting eyes on it in person. (don't need any more lectures now after the fact....I am married) The condition of our new to us old motorhome is less than ideal and I am going to be paying dearly to fix the rusted elements of the lower undercarriage. Nothing structural is rusted at this point but the braces that run across the bottom of the coach to keep the lower panels in place are rusted really badly. Newmar tells me those braces are to keep the panels in place to keep moisture off the structural framework.

The engine components like the high pressure pump that was replaced 2 years ago look 20 years old because of that salty air.

If the PO would have just rinsed it off once a week with fresh water it would be just fine and still look much better than it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	owltvVjJQdmSm26VrW71yA.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	214188   Click image for larger version

Name:	bRugh9KuQfOmNjxJzx7Ixw.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	214189  

Old 08-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the article may be a little exaggerated. We live about 30 miles from the beach and have an area called Rincon, where you park along the road, next to the water. You can tell the rigs that have spent the last ten years there on a regular basis, but they were typical beach people who used them only at the beach and put it away without any cleaning.

We're not really beach people, but when we do, you can see the salt residue on the coach afterwards. I always wash it once we get home.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
The iRV2 newsletter came out yesterday and one of the highlighted threads detailed the damage done to the posters rigs by stays at the beach. It freaked me out.

We have a 10 day stay coming up at Grayland State Park on the Washington Coast and I am thinking I may have to cancel it. Long term damage from a short beach stay is a no go.

So, has anyone here taken their rig to a coastal spot and had damage? Where were you, and what happened?

Lynn
I will be camping in Westport next week, which is 7 miles north of Grayland. Who knows, maybe we will run into each other.
CP598 is offline   Reply With Quote