Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Have you ever wondered what was under the wet bay floor

2018 Dutch Star 4369
Today I was continuing my quest for the perfect Sanicon install. This included installing a new access port for the Sanicon hose to exit the wet bay. I thought you may enjoy seeing how well Newmar insulates the floor below the wet bay, I’m sure the rest of the bays are similar. First layer plastic floor, second layer think felt, third layer 3/8 chip board, forth layer 1 1/4 foam and last layer galvanized steel underbelly. It’s no wonder these motorhomes are so quite and well insulated! Advantage Newmar........Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7842.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	229862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7840.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	229863  

Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My 2014 was built like that too. I had cut a hole in the bay floor behind the Oasis unit and installed an inline bath fan to remove he hot air form the basement and electronics during the summer.

Apparently, you didn't hit any frame!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My 2014 was built like that too. I had cut a hole in the bay floor behind the Oasis unit and installed an inline bath fan to remove he hot air form the basement and electronics during the summer.

Apparently, you didn't hit any frame!

Happy to report I did not hit anything that I shouldn’t have[emoji4]
Old 12-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Happy to report I did not hit anything that I shouldn’t have[emoji4]
Looking forward to seeing the final product!
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Insulated better than I thought, thanks for posting. Don't forget pictures when your done.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks, Stuart. I will wonder no more. And, I'll be interested in seeing the final install.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

I'm impressed, didn't expect that kind of quality construction.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Stuart - I had an issue with some missing or ill formed gasket at the rear wheel well. As a result water entered the area forward of the wheels when driving in the rain. I asked Spencer what was in that floor and it appears that the OSB you noted is marine grade. Sure beats my previous coaches! Good on Newmar.
BTW -Have a holey Christmas. (Pun intended).

Tom
Old 12-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi Stuart - I had an issue with some missing or ill formed gasket at the rear wheel well. As a result water entered the area forward of the wheels when driving in the rain. I asked Spencer what was in that floor and it appears that the OSB you noted is marine grade. Sure beats my previous coaches! Good on Newmar.
BTW -Have a holey Christmas. (Pun intended).

Tom

Thanks Tom[emoji23]🤣
Old 12-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #10

Aren’t those hole saws just the greatest. So much neater than using a axe.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Aren’t those hole saws just the greatest. So much neater than using a axe.
Or a sawzall.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
2018 Dutch Star 4369
Today I was continuing my quest for the perfect Sanicon install. This included installing a new access port for the Sanicon hose to exit the wet bay. I thought you may enjoy seeing how well Newmar insulates the floor below the wet bay, I’m sure the rest of the bays are similar. First layer plastic floor, second layer think felt, third layer 3/8 chip board, forth layer 1 1/4 foam and last layer galvanized steel underbelly. It’s no wonder these motorhomes are so quite and well insulated! Advantage Newmar........Stuart
Stuart, thanks for sharing. I'm wanting to add a hole as well and have the parts from Newmar (white threaded top part and black sleeve bottom part). Can you share a photo of your finished product?

Any tips or warnings for venturing into this? I plan to drill at the same depth from the edge, just offset left or right depending on my sanicon pump location I'm deciding.

Did you drill bottom up or top down?

What type of hole saw did you use? I assume 5 inch is the correct diameter. I have a bit-metal saw coming tomorrow.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Neal the first thing I did was use a strong magnet from the top side to look for metal below, as it turns out the edge closest to the out side just touched the metal frame, if your staying at the same depth from the other hole you should be fine. My one concern is another member had posted a picture of a wet bay with only the frame and his showed a flat steel strap up the middle depth wise. That’s why the magnet test should be done. The side of the hole-saw was complicated the top white lid was good at 5.5 inch ( at 6 inch the screw holes didn’t all hit wood and deck to screw into)but if you measure the black sleeve near the collar it didn’t fit the 5.5 opening so I went up to 6 a 6 inch hole-saw. With what I know now I would extend the drill pilot as long as it will go then drill the 5.5 inch hole from the top if you have the room with the wet bay disassembled, only allowing the pilot to go through the bottom sheet metal, then switch to the 6 inch saw and drill up from the bottom stopping at the bottom of the plywood. Neal I’ll pm you my phone number Incase you want to talk. There’s one more part if you want to use the Newmar block of circle around the hose to keep critters out, in the first picture you can see it has a lip to hold the disc in the hole.
Hope this helps, Stuart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8100.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	234707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8097.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	234708  

Name:	IMG_8098.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	234709  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Neal the first thing I did was use a strong magnet from the top side to look for metal below, as it turns out the edge closest to the out side just touched the metal frame, if your staying at the same depth from the other hole you should be fine. My one concern is another member had posted a picture of a wet bay with only the frame and his showed a flat steel strap up the middle depth wise. That’s why the magnet test should be done. The side of the hole-saw was complicated the top white lid was good at 5.5 inch ( at 6 inch the screw holes didn’t all hit wood and deck to screw into)but if you measure the black sleeve near the collar it didn’t fit the 5.5 opening so I went up to 6 a 6 inch hole-saw. With what I know now I would extend the drill pilot as long as it will go then drill the 5.5 inch hole from the top if you have the room with the wet bay disassembled, only allowing the pilot to go through the bottom sheet metal, then switch to the 6 inch saw and drill up from the bottom stopping at the bottom of the plywood. Neal I’ll pm you my phone number Incase you want to talk. There’s one more part if you want to use the Newmar block of circle around the hose to keep critters out, in the first picture you can see it has a lip to hold the disc in the hole.
Hope this helps, Stuart
Do you have to drill holes into the metal sleeve?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor