Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 01:35 AM   #29
YC1

Along the freeway in New York State our DPF failed and our coach went into limp mode. Had to be towed 12 miles.

Coach Net on the phone made sure we were safe etc and kept us updated while finding an outstanding tow company. They had to disconnect the drive line and reconnected it when delivered to Cummins. Coach net connected us to a tech prior to the tow and gave information on the error code.

The worst part is our extended warranty did not cover a dime because they said it was Emissions related. That 5K repair came out of my pocket. The tow was covered by coach net.

I don't care how handy you are with tools some things cannot be fixed along the highway.

Coach Net took much of the grief out of the disaster. They made the arrangements for the towing service and called Cummins.

I would not want to be fumbling with poor internet trying to find a suitable tow service.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 05:00 AM   #30

Based on the reading you have supported my question with I decided to purchase the GoodSam Roadside package. As long as I am a GS club member anyway....I thought that made the most sense. Hopefully, like all insurance, I never need it but now I can travel down the highway knowing that there is one less thing to worry about in the event of a breakdown that would require a tow.

After I asked this question I spend some time reviewing my own driving life and realized that I have only needed a tow twice. Both were non rv related. One time I had a mule deer commit suicide on the very center front of my truck which disabled my truck. I was on the way home from elk hunting and had an elk, 4 wheeler, tent gear etc along with an enclosed trailer to tow from the state line back to Cody, Wy. The second time was after I just purchased a very used Sprinter van and the driveshaft carrier bearing let go on it when we were 60 miles from the nearest tow truck. Both times required a huge tow bill. If either of those situations would have been in a 40' coach...it would have taken special equipment and a lot more money to pay those tow companies. My vehicle insurance company only pays out $200 max for a tow, although they made an exception for the mountain tow, it wouldn't come close to paying for a big rig and RV tow.

Thank you to the contributors of this thread. It is interesting reading about our journeys with these recreational vehicles!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brand new coach on maiden voyage. Towed 550 miles back from Ruidoso, NM to Dallas, Texas.

Euless B&B Wrecker out of Euless, Texas did an outstanding job....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_091700.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	200644  
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #32

Don't let the tow company tell you that if the engine is running you can tow without disconnecting the drive line. We were at a RV park watch a coach being towed away and tow truck driver said that it was safe to tow as long as the engine is running without disconnecting drive shaft. We know that most tows the engine isn't running but if it is still need to be disconnected.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
'09 Magna, dropped a valve in #6. $33,000 repair, no cost to due to CoachNet.
Oops, should say "no cost tow due to CoachNet."
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Oops, should say "no cost tow due to CoachNet."
I figured that was an oops...I couldn't find THAT coverage!
Old 04-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Don't let the tow company tell you that if the engine is running you can tow without disconnecting the drive line. We were at a RV park watch a coach being towed away and tow truck driver said that it was safe to tow as long as the engine is running without disconnecting drive shaft. We know that most tows the engine isn't running but if it is still need to be disconnected.
This is pretty funny, most RVs get towed because they don't run, I.e. Engine/Trans problem

Why would you need a tow if your engine and trans work
Old 04-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post

Why would you need a tow if your engine and trans work

Power steering pump failure .
Air compressor problem .

Don't ask , how I know this.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Just back from a trip. Ended up with 75 mile tow.
Canadian RSA covered
Problem was seized a/c compressor. Serpentine belt so lost charging, water pump etc.
Dead in the water.
First experience getting m/h towed but I knew what to ask for/tell RSA.
When in early 20’s worked for a towing company so knew how to describe eqpt needed.
Excellent service.
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:06 AM   #38

My fuel pump failed in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory. I had a $25 towing rider on my coach insurance. I told them I wanted a flatbed trailer not a tow because of the frost heaves. The nearest repair place was in Whitehorse, 180mi. away. So the round trip for the truck was 360mi.. I had to wait 3days for the truck, but since we were already in a campground it was no big deal. I called Cummins and had a new pump flown in to Whitehorse so it would be there when we got there. I'm sure glad I didn't have to pony up for that tow. But it was all just part of the adventure.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:47 AM   #39

Towed twice in over 60k miles, both tows within the same week. In each case the tow company disconnected the drive shaft and the repair place charged $75 to reconnect it. GS RSA had trouble finding a company that would tow us and the flatbed trailer we were towing, and had to go with tow companies that required us to pay some or all the charges at the time of the tow. They reimbursed all the towing fees we paid as well as the drive shaft reconnect charges (over $1800 for the two tows).

We have the GS RSA platinum plus ($220/yr) which covers our other cars too. Used to tow a family car 75 miles to get it home once also. So far, I consider it money well spent. Buyer beware on RSA plans though. GS gold & platinum plans are much more restrictive on where they will tow your RV, giving you little choice on the repair facility.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
My fuel pump failed in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory. I had a $25 towing rider on my coach insurance. I told them I wanted a flatbed trailer not a tow because of the frost heaves.
Must not have been any bridges to go underneath. A Landoll (38" height) would put that at 15' Plus. Or did it get moved on a detachable gooseneck trailer (where the RV sits inbetween the wheels in the trailer well)?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #41

I have had one tow in ten years with motorhomes. Alternator went out and once the battery charge dropped the engine computer started shutting down, went into limp modeand after pulling off the road and shutting down the engine would not start again. Had Good Sam Roadside Assistance at the time and called them. GS arranged a tow service. While waiting for the tow truck (3 hour wait) I found out there was a Freightliner shop less than 3 miles away. Called GS and told them about the Freightliner truck shop, GS had already made arrangements at another shop about 60 miles away. GS asked if I wanted to use the nearby Freightliner shop. I said yes and they changed the arrangements, called the Freightliner shop to let them know we would be arriving. GS kept in touch with us until we were at the shop.

We didn't get to the shop until after quiting time but there was a drop box for the keys. Dropped the keys, took the toad and found a nearby motel for the night. Next day drove back to the shop and found they had already diagnosed the problem. Luckily the Freightliner shop had an alternator in stock and by mid day the new alternator along with two new batteries were installed. Don't know what the tow cost since I never saw there bill. I do know the tow truck had to come from about 150 miles away.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #42

Heres one reason not to get too cocky with the big rigs.

Tags
tow