Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 06:07 AM   #1

Have you had to have your coach towed?

Good day all!

I am purchasing a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 4093 from a private party. In one of our conversations he mentioned his recommendation to have GoodSam roadside service for their towing plan. He tells me that he has had to use it twice in 8 years and that got me to thinking.

How many times have current owners needed to tow their coaches? In all my years of pulling or driving RV's there hasn't been anything that has gone wrong that I needed a tow truck. Maybe I am too much of a DIYer?

Just figured I would ask your experiences. The one time he needed a tow it was the high pressure pump that went. The other time...I forget. I just thought twice in 8 years is a lot...but not so much that I am staying away from the coach.

What is your towing history?
PPCPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #2

In 10 years I have never needed a tow. I don't have roadside assistance either.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #3

$tuff happens

Fuel pump died 30 miles from home on our 2001 32' Santara, $300 out of pocket. $tuff happens....
geoff1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In five years we have never needed a tow truck and do not have roadside assistance.

Like yourself we do a lot of preventative maintenance at home. Which helps keep the tow truck away

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Twice in the past 6 years. Most recently had a diesel fuel line develop a hole. The Cummins continued to run but I could see the gray mist/fog in the drivers' side mirror. Had the universal joint eat through a transmission line which wasn't reconnected properly after having the transmission fluid changed.
The towing coverage included with the RV insurance provider isn't adequate so I'm currently paying about $140 a year for Good Sam's motorhome towing package.
Being mechanically inclined is one thing, having the necessary parts/tools to make the repair on the spot is something else.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:57 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been towed 3 times and winched out 3 times

The 3 tows were all the same incident (3 part tow)
The heavy duty tow truck used his "Stinger" and wheel lifted the coach. Only one problem was encountred and that was on the last tow. They lifted enough they damaged the connector for the car's umbicile.. I had to re-do it. and I moved it so that wont' happen again (now above the rail)
Old 04-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

We have never needed a tow in our MH's, or fivers.

48 years ago Uncle Sam gave me 8 weeks of training to drive everything from a jeep to a 10 ton tactical tractor/flat bed trailer. Old habits are hard to break and even though I don't complete a hour of pre-trip inspections I routinely check about everything I can see or reach on these modern day machines. A loose connection, a broken wire tie, a small leak, corrosion in the wrong place, and loose bolts/nuts can all be found and taken care of.

I currently have roadside assistance/towing. However it came to me free from Good Sams/Camping World when my membership recently went to Elite status. When it stops being free I won't pay for it anymore.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Needed a tow on our very first trip in our brand new DSDP 4018 two years ago. Unbeknownst to us the power steering pump was leaking and finally failed completely. Newmar and Freightliner organized the tow to the nearest FR facility. Took 5 days to find a replacement pump.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #9

Our last coach (1996 MADP) needed to be towed 3 times in in 7 years. Pump that runs the radiator fan\power steering failed.(Only available through Spartan) Another time the pressure hose off the pump blew out. Last time was for a pump failure again. Decided it was time to upgrade.

We have AAA plus RV. I paid $ 100 out on 1 tow because I went over the 100 mile limit I had.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #10

I had to have my previous MH towed due to bad starter. I fortunately had RS coverage through Progessive Insurance, was only 20 miles from home, with a toad. We went one way, the MH went another.

My new Baystar Sport is covered for 5 years with Ford for free.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

I have never needed a tow but my 1st coach was towed when owned by first owner. I do carry Good Sam ERS and we have used it for car related issues only.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #12

I had to have my three year old MH towed last year... Cummins fuel line issue.
I have the towing option on my MH insurance... it is very inexpensive.
The tow bill was $320 (+/-) to have it towed about 300 yards (I almost made it ). I think the bill was pretty much all "hook-up" charge.

I hope to never have need for a tow again... and I know that a 40 - 50 mile tow would be much more expensive.
However, if the towing endorsement on my MH insurance was not so inexpensive, I would probably just take the financial risk and pay for a tow, when/if the need arises.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do my own maintenance but still stuff happens.
'02 DSDP, starter went out. $1,100 repair. No cost tow due to CoachNet.
'09 Magna, dropped a valve in #6. $33,000 repair, no cost to due to CoachNet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Towed once while coach was in storage, had an intermittent no start no power to dash. I spent a few weeks checking many things and cancelled a trip. Towed to Ford using Coachnet.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow