Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #15

I did....works fine!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #16

As an owner of the H20, I have had some experience with your frustration. I have just installed a 42" LCD HD TV in my DSPD that is feed by this Directv box. This unit does output both composite video (yellow) and component (3 cable, red, blue, green, plus audio) as well as HDMI. HD comes only through the latter two connections (1080i) whereas standard 480i is delivered through the yellow video. Converting this to RF only degrades the signal. Also this unit in my experience will only deliver one or the other (standard video or HD) but not both simultaneously. Although the switching is done with a front panel switch, you will be able to watch either the HD signal or the standard video. If you go the component route, be sure to provide for a fiber cable for 5.1 audio. Once again as with video, high quality audio is not delivered through the RCA audio cables. Of course the advantage of HDMI is that it handles digital video and digital audio in a single cable. Be sure to buy your cables on the web - an HDMI cable should cost less than $10 for 6 feet - not the $30 I found at Walmart. What happened to "the lowest prices - Always"?

It would be possible to run two TVs from this unit one via HDMI and the other via component but that about it for multiple TV viewing.

I have found that in most area the local over the air HD has good coverage and very watchable via the standard bat wing antenna.

Podcasting the RV Lifestyle
RV Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:15 AM   #17

Ken...I discovered that a 6 foot HDMI isnt long enough...I had to get a 12 footer at Sams for 20 bux...now I would like to connect my batwing input to the H20 receiver for HD off air but cannot get behind the switchbox due to ZERO slack in the cable bundle...impossible to even see behind it...Someone said the cables are velcroed tight but Im afraid to pull too hard and break something I cant fix
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #18

Yea - I hear your pain. I am in the process of upgrading the video components in my 2004 DSDP. There was no thought of including HD at that time it was manufactured. I have installed a 40" LCD in the former dry bar mid coach. Redoing the speaker, video and coax wiring has been a challenge. With February of 09 coming fairly soon, I've got to get all of the TVs replaced and appropriate wiring done in the next year.

For the antenna from the distribution box, I put a coax splitter in the back of the front TV. From there I ran the cable through the head liner of the windshield to the cabinet above the passenger. From there it goes over the roof to the mid coach position. Thus the mid-coach TV and the over the driver TV use the same output. I don't see any problem with this option.

Podcasting the RV Lifestyle
RV Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote