RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #1

HDMI Splitters

While watching a dvd the screen on the tv occasionally went dark for a few seconds. Happens many times throughout a movie. I noticed when this occurred that the blue led light on the hdmi splitter was flickering on and off. This led light is for the port that the hdmi cable for the tv is connected. I was wondering if the splitter could be failing or it was just getting a poor signal from the DVD player. I checked all the connections and they are secure. While watching tv without watching a dvd there is no issue. My other thought is these components are located in the cramped av cabinet above the drivers seat. When the stereo receiver , DVD player and cable box are all on there is quite a bit of heat in the cabinet even though I have installed two cooling fans on the back side of the cabinet. I have left the cabinet door open and still have the same issue. Could heat be an issue? Thanks for your help.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I had my 2014 DS, I had nothing but issues with the HDMI cables in the upper cabinet. Not enough room and they were constantly coming loose. They only have to back out a little to cause signal issues. I finally found these. I riveted the long strip to the splitter and then secured each cable.

It's also possible you have a splitter going bad. Move the DVD cable to one of the other ports in the splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P5...sr=1-2-catcorr

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #3

I actually notice that when the heat builds up in the front AV cabinet, the splitters start acting funky. A remodel of that AV cabinet is on my list of things to do in the near future.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
All electronics in front cabinet on present coach, WRV put in 5 cooling fans, loud, got quieter ones but still noticeable. But keeps the stuff cooler, guess I am asking any room for a cooling fan running at 12VDC, like a 5 or 8 inch one they put into PC/Servers to keep them cool. Cheaper than maybe remodeling the whole thing, unless that is your goal.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
All electronics in front cabinet on present coach, WRV put in 5 cooling fans, loud, got quieter ones but still noticeable. But keeps the stuff cooler, guess I am asking any room for a cooling fan running at 12VDC, like a 5 or 8 inch one they put into PC/Servers to keep them cool. Cheaper than maybe remodeling the whole thing, unless that is your goal.

I mounted these cooling fans on the outside of the av cabinet towards the windshield. Thermostatically controlled. Plug into outlet in av cabinet. Pretty quiet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	249580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2285.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	249581

Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When I had my 2014 DS, I had nothing but issues with the HDMI cables in the upper cabinet. Not enough room and they were constantly coming loose. They only have to back out a little to cause signal issues. I finally found these. I riveted the long strip to the splitter and then secured each cable.

It's also possible you have a splitter going bad. Move the DVD cable to one of the other ports in the splitter.

Thanks DSD. Mine are always coming unplugged also so I will try those.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
I mounted these cooling fans on the outside of the av cabinet towards the windshield. Thermostatically controlled. Plug into outlet in av cabinet. Pretty quiet.

Thermostatically controlled? Where did you find those?
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Thermostatically controlled? Where did you find those?

CoolerguysClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2630.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	249690

Old 06-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Huge thanks for posting this! We have a 2007 Essex and the AV cabinet is over the frig. Had a small fan, but the heat built up to the point of shutting down Dish. Installed a coolerguys triple 120mm with thermal control $59... Awesome! Quite and the temp fell to zip! Thanks again... happy camper here!
Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Any ole Joe View Post
Huge thanks for posting this! We have a 2007 Essex and the AV cabinet is over the frig. Had a small fan, but the heat built up to the point of shutting down Dish. Installed a coolerguys triple 120mm with thermal control $59... Awesome! Quite and the temp fell to zip! Thanks again... happy camper here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0904.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	250807
Old 06-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any ole Joe View Post

Glad the fans helped. Nice install.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Don,

If you want to get rid of the bulky HDMI cables, try these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote