RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #1

HDTV

I recently upgraded to a Winegard deployable HD satellite dish. Remarkably, the installer stopped there...ie I have HD directv channels to the receiver and no further. I need to distribute the HDTV/ HDMI signal to 4 tvs in my 2008 Essex. Without rewiring I have done some research about using "wireless" distribution of the signal. I believe my best option is to use WIDI 5 ghz technology in order to penetrate walls and avoid line of sight drop out issues.
Does anyone have a system they are using and can recommend?
thanks
Ross

Rad Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
According the the brochure, the '08 Essex came with an HD capable component video distribution system, like our '08 KGDB came with. Do you not have that system? If you do, you should connect it directly to the component outputs of the HD receiver. If the receiver is HDMI only, use one of these to convert to component:

http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Pro-Comp.../dp/B00BW0XXZ6

Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We upgraded all the TVs in our 07MA to HDTV after replacing the Sat Dish to HD. In my case I chose to run HDMI from my Electronics cabinet (located above Frig) in order to get HDTV to the Front TV. The Bedroom was no problem as I put a second Sat Receiver there. The signal to the BR Sat Receiver is carried by standard Coax and it was easy to run the HDMI between the BR TV and BR SAT receiver.

BTW, for the front TV I was able to run the HDMI cable behind the Crown Molding as there's quite a bit of space. I didn't have an outside TV to deal with.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

thank you

FlyingDiver
thank you for your time and money saving reply! I was able to check the box, saw the component out, switched inputs at the TV level and presto! HDTV! I also went to menu at the recvr level and told it to stay on the 1080i setting.

I am having trouble with the signal on two of the tvs. The top of one of the pictures is "flickering" and the bedroom tv will not show the pic on the component setting...it tries but fails. Do I need a signal booster of the component coming out of the sat recvr? Other ideas?

Also, The winegard is telling me it is tracking three satellites but I am not getting multiple channels of HD that my package should be getting. Any ideas about that?

Thank you so much for your input
Rad Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You need to check that the switch box has all the cables plugged into the back securely, they have a tendency to come loose. That would explain the flickering. Also, you need to make sure that the Bedroom TV was wired properly, as it previously was using the composite (non-HD wiring). You should not need a signal booster, as the switch box is amplified, as I recall.

You should have this switch box, or one very similar: AVS100HD

I think I have the AVS200HD, which is similar. If you have that one, you can get the data sheet from this page: Documents

What are the signal strengths on the three satellites you are getting? Should be 99, 101, and 103, if you have the latest Trav'ler. Don't worry about the "S" numbers, just the "C" numbers for each sat.