Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Heading for Newmar FPU soon - what did you forget to ask or do while there?

In a little over two grueling crawling weeks I will get to go pickup my first and hopefully only MH. I've read a lot here about FPU and seen checklists, etc. But for those that have gone and looked back on it thinking "I wish I..." - what questions did you wish you would have asked or what do you wish you would have done while there? If you could do it over again what would you do....so I and others reading this can learn from your experience.

Thank you.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
I would have exercised ALL systems more. In particular, run the generator every day for an hour or two stopping and starting atleast four times each day. Ours died the second time we used it after leaving FPU. I think we started it two or three times while there.

Run the water pump for a half hour each day. This is a constant run. We think we have a small water leak in a pipe that only occurs when the pump runs for more than a few minutes. Also if the pump is weak it will break.

If its hot, turn on the AC to get the coach real cold (mornings are good for this) then run the furnace as long as it will run. Very important if you have an Oasis system. Check where your temp sensors are. We have one on an outside wall. Not a good place for it.

Go to a car wash and run lots of water over your bay doors. This will simulate driving in rain, something Newmars test does not do well. This will let you know if the bays are really water tight.

Run your slides, alot!

Find the bumpiest road you can and drive up and down it until you are ready to die of boredom, then drive it two more times.

Find a big parking lot, drive slowly forward and turn your steering wheel to the stops. Then try to turn it somemore. If it moves more you have a popet issue, like we do.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info! Thank you!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

Though we did not do a FPU, we did spend 4 days at dealership and ran everything. Also, turn both seats around. I found the drivers seat wiring was wire tied to tight and unplugged the cannon plug and seat would not move when put back into driving position.

Also, get down and look for hairline cracks in floor tile. We found one and scheduled replacement in Jan 2018. Run Oasis on electric and diesel. We had airlock and pump failure on electric. Good thing we were still there.

Check paint job closely. We found dirt under clear coat on one bay door and over spray the dealer fixed for us.

Then get out and enjoy that beauty. We love ours.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget to run your washer /dryer, several times
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm glad I asked, all great things to remember! I definitely need to exercise every system as well as drive it and stay there as long as they will let me for the FPU. I can stay as long as I need to fortunately.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

I wish that I would have had our tech open the engine access hatch (we have a '15 Ventana with bath and a half floor plan and took factory delivery). This is the preferred way to have access to the CAC/Radiator for cleaning.

I also wish that I would have had him show me the:

Inverter and how to reset if needed,
Where all of the GFIC outlets are located,
How to safely block up the coach for underneath inspection and maintenance.

I agree with all of the above. Run and rerun all systems. Make sure that all TSB work has been performed.

Congratulations on your new Ventana. Welcome to the Newmar family.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll need to figure out how to get DirectTV going too as I have that setup, want to make sure that works while there.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #9

I made several calls to Direct TV with no luck. Finally called Weinguard and they had me up and running in less than 5 minutes. You might want to start with them first.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I made several calls to Direct TV with no luck. Finally called Weinguard and they had me up and running in less than 5 minutes. You might want to start with them first.
What was the issue with Directv and Winegard?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 AM   #12

Direct TV kept passing me to different CS reps since it was an RV. Finally, the last rep I talked to told me to call a different 1-800 number and it was the winegard number. They hooked me up in less than 5 minutes. This was my first experience with satellite TV and I was starting to think it was a mistake. But, all is well now.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Couple more suggestions - fill ALL your tanks (diesel, DEF, fresh, grey, & black) and make sure there are no leaks. Take a drive with them all full, and ask someone from camp Newmar to follow you for the first few miles or turns - to watch if there are any large spills or siphoning.

Get the official rig weight and traveling height.

Have or buy a good tire pressure gauge and ensure that your tire pressures are all correct before you leave.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I would suggest you examine the top of your coach before you leave. Check the dates on your tires because in 2014 I found 3 tires that had dates of 3 years old. If possible you should set up a 1 week appointment 2 weeks after you leave the factory and drive the coach to some different campgrounds set up and then move to another one maybe driving 1000 to 1200 miles and make a list if you have any issues and return to the factory to have the issues repaired. I did this with my last 2 coaches from Newmar. Enjoy your new coach and have safe travels.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar