Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Headlight assembly for 05 Kountry Star.

007, perhaps you might move this to the headlight section of the easy tips postings. I tried, but because it is an old thread, I could not post to it.

I finally found the headlight assemblies for the 2005 Kountry Star. They are from the 1999-2002 Olds Alero, Note, some sites say they are the same up through 2004 on the Alero. A pair is on the order of $60-70 on ebay. (the number sequence on the front of the assembly was a little different that what others have posted, it is DEPO 336-1107 R&L) I had tried to find them before w/o success. (If I put OEM instead of DEPO in a search engine, they come up.)
Now, I don't know how many years each side of the 2005 Kountry Star this would apply to, but I presume they are the same for the diesel version. (mine is gas).
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
I finally found the headlight assemblies for the 2005 Kountry Star. They are from the 1999-2002 Olds Alero, Note, some sites say they are the same up through 2004 on the Alero. A pair is on the order of $60-70 on ebay. (the number sequence on the front of the assembly was a little different that what others have posted, it is DEPO 336-1107 R&L) I had tried to find them before w/o success. (If I put OEM instead of DEPO in a search engine, they come up.)
Now, I don't know how many years each side of the 2005 Kountry Star this would apply to, but I presume they are the same for the diesel version. (mine is gas).
DEPO is a cheap imitation of the OEM part. And in accordance with lighting reports, does not meet testing standards and therefore provides poor lighting. For the best lighting from that type of headlight one should buy the OEM version.

If you find that the OEM part is too expensive you can try a wrecking yard for a good used part. They are a lot less expensive than a new part.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
DEPO is a cheap imitation of the OEM part. And in accordance with lighting reports, does not meet testing standards and therefore provides poor lighting. For the best lighting from that type of headlight one should buy the OEM version.

If you find that the OEM part is too expensive you can try a wrecking yard for a good used part. They are a lot less expensive than a new part.
This is interesting in that the DEPO parts are what came from Newmar on the MH. I am not needing any now, but had a few minutes and decided to try to find them again based on the number cast into the assembly. I believe there were OEM versions on ebay that were not too expensive.
Getting them out of a wrecking yard would mean they are old and probably have undergone the UV deteriation.
Last year I refinished several on other vehicles, this does not seem to be a good long term solution, after looking, finding new replacements on ebay seems to be a better to go.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=pkmesser;927218
Getting them out of a wrecking yard would mean they are old and probably have undergone the UV deteriation.
[/QUOTE]

True, however I was able to find good lenses at the wrecking yard that had not had the UV discoloration. I did have to go through several car bodies to find them. I have heard that some of these OEM, dealer supplied lenses run as much as $300 each.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
PK, There is one in there now I'll add below it, thanks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Romeo, if they were pointed in a direction that did not get much sun, then that's why they were good. My wife's car is normally parked pointing west, the driver's side got very bad last year, but passenger side which did not get as much sun was still pretty good. I used one of the refinishing kits, but it is starting to fade again, so I will replace them. I was like you, thinking they were very expensive, but at least for the ones I have looked up, the replacement cost is not so bad. The tip on DEPO is good to know, thanks.
007, as I mentioned I found the subject in quick tips, but not for the KS, so thought it would be appropiate to add it there. BTW, I saw a photo of an 04 KSDP and it looks to be the same, so the Alero headlight is good for the 04 and 05 KSCA and KSDP's.